Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legauthier View Post
What are some area I should stay away from and what are some good areas that I can look into
There is no GOOD way to answer your questions and make suggestions until you know your work location. The area is just too spread out.

PS what breed is that 65 pound dog? What is the other pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Looking for a change of pace. I live in the Fall River area where did you live in ma? How was the transition for you was it bad or good? I'm very nervous to move but I feel that it is a good thing so I am stuck on where to start. It's really hard because I have two pets and one is 65 pounds most places have a restriction of 35 pounds . Everyone I have called tells me t air two months before I leave to start looking but there is so much involved with movie to another state. It's like do I wait till two month or do I start now
Lived in Springfield and my wife is from Dorchester. The transition was good for us. It is a totally different way of living so come with an open mind. Much more laid back and less congested than back east. The people, for the most part, are friendly and many are from other states/countries. Cost of living will be cheaper especially taxes and housing.

The weather will probably be the biggest difference. Here in the valley we get slight variations in the weather, but no four seasons like in MA. Kiss winter snow goodbye. However, if you need a snow fix you can drive two or three hours north and find it in one of the mountain cities. Once you're done playing in the snow you can drive back down to beautiful 70 degree weather. Yeah, it's really like that! While there are some chilly winter mornings (temps may drop into the high 30s!) things usually warm up once the sun is up. You are never far from a nice scenic drive or a refreshing hike. I must remind you that this is a desert so don't expect the vibrant greenery you are used to in MA. There is some, but Brown and tan landscapes dominate. In lieu of an ocean we have the mountains, which are wonderful in their own way.
Finally, I noticed the pay is a little lower here compared to the Northeast. If you can get a transfer at your current rate you will do well. Having two pets will create some challenges, especially for one over 65 lbs. You also have to be aware of certain breeds out here. For instance, if you have a pit bull it will be extremely difficult finding a place that accepts them. Have you visited the state? If not, I strongly suggest you try a visit before moving here to get a feel for the place.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
What are some area I should stay away from and what are some good areas that I can look into
In terms of living, or do you have some sort of input into what store they transfer you to? If you have no choice of store, as others have said, once you find that out, you can work on finding appropriate housing in a satisfactory area.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 5,534 times
My hound/lab mix is about 65lbs and I have yorkshire terrier which is about 12lbs. I have visited the state and it is lovely. My fiance's daughter live out there so we are moving out there to be with her. I do have input into what store I transfer to, as I have heard from other there are targets all over the valley. So I do have options on where to move to, so I'm trying to get a since of whats good and whats not. Is car insurance less expensive outside of phoenix or is it cheaper?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
At 9071 sq miles, the Phoenix metropolitan area is almost the size of the state of Vermont (9350 sq mi). Saying you're looking "in or around the Phoenix area" is very, VERY broad.

Luckily, Phoenix is set up on a relatively easy to use / memorize grid system. The grid is 1 mile x 1 mile. Directions are often given by crossroads, and cardinal direction (i.e., "Northwest corner of McDowell and Scottsdale Road"). Knowing the crossroads of your perspective employer goes a long way towards finding a good area to look into.

If you're moving to Phoenix without a perspective employer in mind, most people would suggest to find a place central to the entire valley. A lot of newcomers are tempted by cheap housing on the far outskirts of the valley, only to find a job on the completely opposite end of town. These people then complain about all the driving and traffic.

Without a job in hand, I would suggest looking around downtown Tempe, downtown Phoenix, Biltmore/Arcadia, North Tempe, and South Scottsdale. I've highlighted the area on the attached map. Decent housing is available anywhere in the Valley. Anybody on here will suggest renting for your first year or two, until you get a better feel for the area you'll be working in, and the areas you like to be in.

Most apartments can be found on any of the major search websites. Hotpads.com, Zillow.com, or even Craigslist (just look out for obvious scams -- we've had whole discussions on this forum before regarding Craigslist listings).

Good luck!
You highlighted some serious slums south of 17 though man.. South Phoenix hell. Otherwise decent places

Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 PM

83 posts, read 79,590 times
If you are going to be in the Phoenix metro area, I would look north of Camelback Rd. You may even find a townhouse or home to rent for your dogs. North Phoenix is nice and has wonderful freeway access. Look on Apartments.com, they list private owners along with apartments. Apartment buildings really take advantage of people (I used to work for one) here. If I were renting, I would try to rent from a private owner. We do have rent tax here so ask about how much they charge for that on top of the rent. Get your dogs registered as service dogs and all apartments will have to take them without charging you for a deposit or pet rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area