Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,364,611 times

Advertisements

According to the latest news, the final ruling on the South Mountain Freeway is supposed to be made by July 13. This freeway needs to be built and hopefully the judge can understand that the majority of voters are in favor of the freeway.

Still, even if the judge rules in ADOT's favor, PARC has confirmed that they will try to appeal the ruling, and if an injunction is granted in the appeal, that will be very catastrophic for our future transportation needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
According to the latest news, the final ruling on the South Mountain Freeway is supposed to be made by July 13. This freeway needs to be built and hopefully the judge can understand that the majority of voters are in favor of the freeway.

Still, even if the judge rules in ADOT's favor, PARC has confirmed that they will try to appeal the ruling, and if an injunction is granted in the appeal, that will be very catastrophic for our future transportation needs.

The FEDERAL judge will not be concerned about voters' opinions about the freeway, as those are irrelevant from a legal standpoint, but with the appropriate legal ruling on each of the specific allegations made in the plantiffs' complaint.

Whether it will be a "final" ruling is unknown.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:

It's likely the judge will rule in ADOT's favor because there isn't a lot of strong evidence to oppose the freeway as there was in the past. Also, opposition to this was expected by all parties including any appeals. They know what they are doing. It's going to pass. This freeway is necessary. The Valley is only going to get bigger and there has to be some way to relieve the traffic on I-10.

Personally, I think is going to really cause the West Valley to boom as this freeway will directly connect the East and West Valley and people won't find it so daunting to live in the West Valley as they won't feel as isolated. For example, people working at Intel may choose to live in the West Valley as they have cheaper and NEWER housing and they can take this freeway to Pecos. Overall, it will be really good for the Valley.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's likely the judge will rule in ADOT's favor because there isn't a lot of strong evidence to oppose the freeway as there was in the past. Also, opposition to this was expected by all parties including any appeals. They know what they are doing. It's going to pass. This freeway is necessary. The Valley is only going to get bigger and there has to be some way to relieve the traffic on I-10.

Personally, I think is going to really cause the West Valley to boom as this freeway will directly connect the East and West Valley and people won't find it so daunting to live in the West Valley as they won't feel as isolated. For example, people working at Intel may choose to live in the West Valley as they have the cheaper and newer housing and they can take this freeway to Pecos. Overall, it will be really good for the Valley.
If anything, the developers who built and sold homes in the freeways path should be sued rather than ADOT, this thing has been on the books for 31 years!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Personally, I think is going to really cause the West Valley to boom as this freeway will directly connect the East and West Valley and people won't find it so daunting to live in the West Valley as they won't feel as isolated. For example, people working at Intel may choose to live in the West Valley as they have cheaper and NEWER housing and they can take this freeway to Pecos. Overall, it will be really good for the Valley.
My main concern is that the judge is Native American, which I hope she doesn't play the race card by ruling in GRIC's and PARC's favor just because of the mountain being sacred to GRIC.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Quote:
My main concern is that the judge is Native American, which I hope she doesn't play the race card by ruling in GRIC's and PARC's favor just because of the mountain being sacred to GRIC.
I wouldn't worry about that. That's a small piece of the suit.

That said, I think this will be held in ADOTs favor on the larger pieces. There are some compromises within reason that may have to be addressed however.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,463,398 times
The judge is a member of the Hopi tribe. The completely separate Gila River Indian Community is a party to the lawsuit. Speculating that a Hopi judge might be biased in this case, which is entirely unrelated to Hopi land or interests, is pretty far-fetched.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM

255 posts, read 236,222 times
Build the new South Mountain Freeway ASAP

Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 AM

576 posts, read 833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanlegs View Post
build the new south mountain freeway asap
+1

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The judge is a member of the Hopi tribe. The completely separate Gila River Indian Community is a party to the lawsuit. Speculating that a Hopi judge might be biased in this case, which is entirely unrelated to Hopi land or interests, is pretty far-fetched.
Well, at least she didn't grant PARC an injunction to make ADOT immediately halt all pre-construction activity, so that could perhaps be a sign of hope for ADOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area