Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 PM

640 posts, read 962,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Who?

Never heard of em.

PHX needs to attract more globally-important big names.
Wow, way to rain on the parade. Just because they are not a household name doesn't make the news any less valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 12:34 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think Tempe has better bones than Phoenix. Both have similar approaches, but Tempe, for now, is more attractive for immediate results. I'd imagine a lot of that is its desirability and ASU. Kind of like Austin with UTexas.

It also shows that companies are looking for more than tax cuts to relocate.
Tempe has become a dense urban center (especially north of the 60) that is attractive to young people as well as up & coming businesses. In a way, the downtown area is beginning to resemble Pasadena, CA, which is more than just bars & nightlife. This has a way of helping the entire city, which is why part of south Tempe is now a haven for businesses, especially the tech sector. You still can't rule out a good thriving economy, and lower taxes as one of the reasons. Higher taxed/higher priced areas are still less attractive for business opportunities. Why do you think many businesses have left CA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
PHX needs to attract more globally-important big names.
I completely agree, and Phoenix definitely needs to improve its focus in order to bring in the larger corporations & become more globally competitive. The fact is, however, that any new corporate HQs is a plus for the area, even if on a smaller scale.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, I read that in the article.

But what helps attract them to Tempe in the first place? A talent pool, reasonable wages, etc.. What aspects of a city help retain a strong talent pool? I would argue that an improved urban core helps support job creation in all parts of the valley. You need a city that retains the talent those companies are seeking out, even if they don't locate right in the thick of things.
It goes beyond that. Tempe is a very progressive city in terms of its culture and politics. They have anti-discrimination laws against LGBT, their populace is highly educated with a plethora of engineers, professors, doctors etc. It is a very diverse city in terms of ethnicity, religion etc. There is a lot of culture. It is a proverbial oasis in this conservative desert. Like Austin, a lot of companies are being drawn to that. I also found it interesting that Tesla chose Tempe to host their next dealership versus Chandler or Gilbert which is where most expand beyond Scottsdale first. I think you will see more companies moving to Tempe.

Again, you can keep taxes low and be fiscally conservative without the redneck rhetoric. Endorsing LGBT antidiscrimination laws does not raise taxes. Tempe is becoming that and it is attracting attention.

One last thing, South Tempe doesn't look like the rest of the Valley. It looks a lot like southern California. It has a lot of trees, grass lawns, non-cookie cutter housing communities. I think it is becoming the next Austin.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:32 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,682,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It goes beyond that. Tempe is a very progressive city in terms of its culture and politics. They have anti-discrimination laws against LGBT, their populace is highly educated with a plethora of engineers, professors, doctors etc. It is a very diverse city in terms of ethnicity, religion etc. There is a lot of culture. It is a proverbial oasis in this conservative desert. Like Austin, a lot of companies are being drawn to that. I also found it interesting that Tesla chose Tempe to host their next dealership versus Chandler or Gilbert which is where most expand beyond Scottsdale first. I think you will see more companies moving to Tempe.

Again, you can keep taxes low and be fiscally conservative without the redneck rhetoric. Endorsing LGBT antidiscrimination laws does not raise taxes. Tempe is becoming that and it is attracting attention.

One last thing, South Tempe doesn't look like the rest of the Valley. It looks a lot like southern California. It has a lot of trees, grass lawns, non-cookie cutter housing communities. I think it is becoming the next Austin.
Another city that is often off the southwestern radar, that shares the same reason for growth as a Austin, is Columbus. The city has headquarters and Ohio state university near the urban core, but also benefits from a dense urban core and neighborhoods. The city is growing faster than any other major U.S. City in the northeast. Combining dense walkable areas with employment centers and major education centers is always a win. Phoenix will always benefits from ASU but never in the way Columbus and Austin have been able to due to their more central layout.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Another city that is often off the southwestern radar, that shares the same reason for growth as a Austin, is Columbus. The city has headquarters and Ohio state university near the urban core, but also benefits from a dense urban core and neighborhoods. The city is growing faster than any other major U.S. City in the northeast. Combining dense walkable areas with employment centers and major education centers is always a win. Phoenix will always benefits from ASU but never in the way Columbus and Austin have been able to due to their more central layout.

Funny you bring up Columbus, because like Columbus, I have a feeling the Coyotes will be building their new home in Tempe. I think that is what the Coyotes want to announce. I know they are building a new facility and will be playing in Glendale for 3 more years. That will also attract development.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,395,367 times
Quote:
Funny you bring up Columbus, because like Columbus, I have a feeling the Coyotes will be building their new home in Tempe.
You might be right, but my feeling is that they really want to be downtown, which would probably mean sharing a new arena with the Suns and they are trying their best to sort out a deal before an announcement, that's why they haven't picked either Tempe or the Indian Reservation yet.

If a deal couldn't be made with the Suns and a new downtown arena, I think they would probably pick the IR over Tempe, because the tribe would end up picking up the entire cost for the arena, the negative with the reservation is that the Tempe location is closer to "stuff" and the light rail, but that location also hinges on creating an arena/commercial/business district, which isn't easy, I guess, this could also be the reason for the delay.

I think their thinking is try and get a deal for downtown, if that doesn't work (which might already be the case), try really hard to get a Tempe deal done, and if that doesn't work just let the Tribe pay for and build the arena on the reservation at McClintock and McKellips.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:02 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
This is being located in suburban South Tempe in the ASU Research Park (101 and Warner Rd) near Godaddy. That area is booming.

Nice to see the Research Park area continuing to attract new companies.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
Quote:

Yeah, I fit into a few of those categories you described, which is a big reason we chose to settle down in Tempe when we moved here. I don't need to travel far or even use a car to get to just about everything I want to do. Not bad, considering all of the debate I hear about the valley being a completely car-focused place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area