Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times

Advertisements

More great news for Tempe!!!!

Air Products (NYSE: APD) continues to work toward the previously announced intended spin-off of its Materials Technologies’ Electronic Materials Division (EMD), to what is to become Versum Materials. As part of this continuing process, Versum Materials today announced when it becomes a standalone company, its headquarters offices will be located in Tempe, Arizona.

Air Products

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...f-landing.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
A lot to like about Tempe these days. The city has taken what most would consider a negative, being landlocked, and turned it into a huge positive by attracting a ton of business and developing a nice urban core.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
A lot to like about Tempe these days. The city has taken what most would consider a negative, being landlocked, and turned it into a huge positive by attracting a ton of business and developing a nice urban core.
This is being located in suburban South Tempe in the ASU Research Park (101 and Warner Rd) near Godaddy. That area is booming.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Tempe is doing it right.
Nice work!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,809 times
What do we think about this comparison ...

Tempe : the Valley :: Austin : Texas ?

They are really killing it and with their more progressive/left-leaning approach they certainly stand out from other competitor cities. They just seem like they are "going for it" and developing in a certain way. I don't know that it's for everyone -- I didn't choose to live there, myself -- but you have to appreciate the success they've had in chasing their dream. I guess the downside to Tempe's renaissance is that they are perhaps stealing some of DT Phoenix's potential thunder in terms of development/redevelopment.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
What do we think about this comparison ...

Tempe : the Valley :: Austin : Texas ?

They are really killing it and with their more progressive/left-leaning approach they certainly stand out from other competitor cities. They just seem like they are "going for it" and developing in a certain way. I don't know that it's for everyone -- I didn't choose to live there, myself -- but you have to appreciate the success they've had in chasing their dream. I guess the downside to Tempe's renaissance is that they are perhaps stealing some of DT Phoenix's potential thunder in terms of development/redevelopment.
I think Tempe has better bones than Phoenix. Both have similar approaches, but Tempe, for now, is more attractive for immediate results. I'd imagine a lot of that is its desirability and ASU. Kind of like Austin with UTexas.

It also shows that companies are looking for more than tax cuts to relocate.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
This is being located in suburban South Tempe in the ASU Research Park (101 and Warner Rd) near Godaddy. That area is booming.
Yeah, I read that in the article.

But what helps attract them to Tempe in the first place? A talent pool, reasonable wages, etc.. What aspects of a city help retain a strong talent pool? I would argue that an improved urban core helps support job creation in all parts of the valley. You need a city that retains the talent those companies are seeking out, even if they don't locate right in the thick of things.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Who?

Never heard of em.

PHX needs to attract more globally-important big names.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Who?

Never heard of em.

That's tough to do, big names don't move around a lot. Look how much effort Atlanta put into trying to attract GE but at the end of the day they stayed pretty close to where they started, opting to move from Connecticut to Mass.

It's also hard for a state to control M&A activity. You can't really influence who is buying who, such as the case with US Air being acquired by larger AA. Sometimes the dice fall your way and sometimes they don't.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Who?

Never heard of em.

A spin off of Air Products which has a couple of locations in Chandler already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area