Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times

Advertisements

Absolutely appalling but not surprising. LDS controls the politics and the judge was bought and paid for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 PM

One day for each dead dog !! Cannot make this up. Guess it pays to be a flake in Arizona.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Wow...how sad for the deceased and their owners.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Wow...how sad for the deceased and their owners.
Someone with a small amount of weed gets 6 months and each dog gets the convicted 1 day per dog. Let that sink in.

When I moved here years ago I was not aware that shelters treat all cats as feral. A litter was in my backyard and drove all over The Valley to see if any rescue place would accept them. Nope. Luckily a cat lover at the SPCA took them off my hands.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Not even killings can take out the Mormon Mafia. Sad day indeed.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Not even killings can take out the Mormon Mafia. Sad day indeed.
I have boycotted Albertson's for as long as I have lived here. Cannot change the politics but can hit them in the wallet.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Big shock. You can't beat these people sometimes.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Sheriff Joe's son inlaw is a member. Flake's kid will be set for life with an out of court settlement on the 8 mil he sued Joe and Maricopa on. Who largely funds Joe's reserve ? Joe "wronged" Flake's kid to make it seem he is for the "moral right." But Joe's benefactors are getting the money grab. Clever concept indeed.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Someone with a small amount of weed gets 6 months and each dog gets the convicted 1 day per dog. Let that sink in.

When I moved here years ago I was not aware that shelters treat all cats as feral. A litter was in my backyard and drove all over The Valley to see if any rescue place would accept them. Nope. Luckily a cat lover at the SPCA took them off my hands.

There are cat rescues all over the valley that take cats (dog rescues too, for that matter), the problem is they are often full, so they use fosters. Often they place with a foster with rescue backing, meaning the rescue helps fund their care until a permanent home is found. But the rescues WILL help cats. It's MCCAC that doesn't pick up cats at all. If a cat ends up in a county shelter it is because someone dropped it off; not because animal control brought them in.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
I was surprised they got jail time, actually, since everyone seemed to be suggesting probation was the likeliest punishment for this type of crime. I tend to think it was all the media publicity that drove the sentence...I guess you invite that kind of speculation when you come up with "cute" sentences like 23 days for 23 dogs and 230 community service hours for 23 dogs. But I personally don't have any issue with the punishment, it's basically a few weeks of their time...I haven't heard anyone say it was "too much."

One thing I noticed that is salient is that they are never again allowed to own or care for pets. So that should be considered a positive for those who are upset at the sentence.

Unfortunately, 2.6 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year due to overbreeding, owner abandonment, and whatever else. This one case is just a molecule in an ocean.

What's sad about this incredible slaughter is that while some breeders are making a little money, this situation serves no real purpose. It's mostly just a drain on taxpayer dollars and a wanton creation and destruction of companion (non-agricultural) animals for no real purpose.

Unfortunately it seems to be that not enough people are interested in it becoming more expensive and difficult to own pets, therefore while pet ownership remains easy, pet abuse also remains easy and 2.6 million animals are killed every year for no productive purpose. Personally I'd be quite in favor of mandatory licensing (fees) and microchipping so owners can be tracked and held financially and/or judicially responsible for animal neglect and abuse. That would in theory save taxpayer dollars and result in less needless deaths of living things. Charge whatever it takes to fund the system and let people know if you want to invest in an animal, be it a horse or a cat or a dog, you need to take care of it.

From what I have seen the County does what it can and the various SPCAs and innumerable small charities in the Valley do a lot, to the extent that for every animal put down, there is one "rescued" ... but it's a long way from 50% to 100%.

I think changing the laws and regulations could prove helpful. This country, and this county, is overflowing with unwanted animals and in my mind creating life and then killing it is not the best way to go. There has to be a better, more efficient, less wasteful path that satisfies people's desire to own pets, while cutting down on the constant large-scale euthanasia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: