Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:46 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

I would agree. Spend some time in the summer before making a decision. February offers the best weather here. That's like spending a summer in Wisconsin and saying you did your research. I don't mind our summers but it's different for everyone. Some people adjust to heat better than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said....
Anybody that has read any of my threads knows how much I love living in the desert, particularly the east valley, but I must agree that it takes a certain type of person to enjoy this place long term.
I spent 3 years researching this place before I moved here and I had visited Arizona many times in those 3 years but all of those visits were in winter and spring. With all the research, I was expecting the summers would be horrific where I would be locked indoors sitting just below some overworked air conditioner until November. Luckily, once I had finally made the move here from the Pacific Northwest, I found the summers to be not only tolerable but wonderfully fun. I have always been a summer kind of guy so since I love being around water, I got a house with a pool, live close to all the lakes and found ways to make summer my favorite time of the year. However, apparently I am in the minority concerning the summers and I can certainly understand that. Many people have a tough time with the excessive heat during the summers here so Big Cats advice should be heeded.
Personally, I love the summers around here but it certainly is an acquired taste.
I love the summers here too. Having a pool makes a big difference. Kids don't notice the heat when you have a swimming pool. And I like the less traffic, lack of snowbirds and overall reduction in congestion during the summers. The summer has a more community feel too especially when going out at night to local restaurants or night life. But absolutely agree, you cannot make any type of conclusion about Phoenix until you spend at least a week here in the summer.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
5 months of temps way beyond 90?
You start seeing 100's in early May, consistently in late May, all through June, July, August, September, and even into early October. So yes, 5 months of frequent 100's, and at least 3.5 months of nothing but 100's.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:42 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You start seeing 100's in early May, consistently in late May, all through June, July, August, September, and even into early October. So yes, 5 months of frequent 100's, and at least 3.5 months of nothing but 100's.
Yep, unless we have a really good monsoon season.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:23 PM

720 posts, read 734,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
We are in completely didn't places right now. We have lived here for 7 years and are actually thinking about moving back to NJ My husband and I got married in NJ in August 2009 and moved out here right after. The honeymoon stage of desert valley living kept us positive and happy for I would say 3 years for me and 5 for my hubby. The oppressive sun (not just in the summer) gets tiresome ( I know that sounds crazy) but seriously you long for a full day of rain. We get hot and humid days in July and August, with threats of monsoon rain. As years have passed by, we get less and less rain...we are actually upset it doesn't rain. The never changing weather gets old. Somedays you just want gloomy, rainy days to eat a bowl of hot tomato soup, grilled cheese and watch a good movie you know

The summers are hot, and I mean so hot you have to open your car door with an oven mitt. So hot my kids (4 and 1.5) do not even want to go out and play. If they do it is before 9am and the come in after 30 minutes sweating. By August we are over going to the pool and splash pad. We haven't ventured to a lake yet, because 1. its a long drive and 2. I'm not even sure which one you are allowed to swim in
Also, summer lasts from April-October. There are no changes in seasons, we have two seasons. Really Hot and Just slightly hot during the day.

Also be prepared for the snow birds. If you think the area is a little congested or busy in the summer, just wait when the winter visitors are in town driving around slowly with their golf clubs in the back seat without a care in the world.

Sedona is magical, highly recommend visiting often. Flagstaff is neat too. The drive to Cali is long, especially when traveling with young children.

The transient population is what bothers me the most. People come and go faster than ever. It is very difficult to make friends, especially when they leave soon after you become besties.

Schools, I don't even know what to say. But that I am thankful mine are not school aged yet. Education, is one of our top priorities and reasonings for our desire to move back east.

The AZ valley is not for everyone and that is okay. Like previous posters mentioned, just do your due diligence because February is the best time to be here and it is all warm and sunny winter days until you have to pack a cooler with ice to go grocery shopping in July.

We look forward to the greenery, seasons, family and friends, the shore and the genuine people in NJ who won't judge you based off of a TV character

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

We had the 7year itch too! I moved to AZ from NJ in 1993 and left in 2000 --- never did we think we were going to move back - lived in gorgeous greece for 7 years and then back home in NJ for 6 and only came to AZ for a visit in Feb 2013 and wondered why we ever left?!!! It's such a beautiful state - if the heat is all that everyone is complaining about then we have it pretty good!!! All the elements we had to drive in NJ, no shoveling snow, and look at all the floods, and fires throughout - we don't have to deal with this ... and someone had mentioned more crime here than in NJ ... that's not necessarily so - it all depends on where you are...

Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 AM

12 posts, read 9,531 times
I also forgot to add that we are sick from mold in our home in NJ due to a slow roof leak that went undetected. It's at epidemic levels here with the humidity plus hurricanes in the past 4 years. I need the dry air to heal my sinuses and my system. I had the house ERMI tested and we have stachybotrys, aspergillus, penicillium and others. Not fun! Rain = mold to me from now on. We are getting rid of all our furniture and cleaning the clothing and few things we take with us, hopefully they can be salvaged.
I think I have settled on Mesa, hopefully we will find a nice clean mold free apartment!

Thank you for all your input everyone!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytefyer View Post
I also forgot to add that we are sick from mold in our home in NJ due to a slow roof leak that went undetected. It's at epidemic levels here with the humidity plus hurricanes in the past 4 years. I need the dry air to heal my sinuses and my system. I had the house ERMI tested and we have stachybotrys, aspergillus, penicillium and others. Not fun! Rain = mold to me from now on. We are getting rid of all our furniture and cleaning the clothing and few things we take with us, hopefully they can be salvaged.
I think I have settled on Mesa, hopefully we will find a nice clean mold free apartment!

Thank you for all your input everyone!
There are TONS of irritants here in the Valley. Dont think the dry air will cure anything. Many people move here and often get worse than they were before (myself included). Dust and allergens here are rampant, and I now suffer from chronic bronchitis since moving here. Its not been fun.

And be sure not to buy a home in an area prone to flooding. Our condo has flooded twice, requiring extensive drywall repairs and floor replacement. Mold grew extremely quick and is still an issue.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Just jumping in as a NJ resident who just dropped her twins at ASU. Came home Saturday after 10 days there. I've been to Phoenix many times, ALL in the summer.

1) I really like Scottsdale, and would live there if I were to move. I spent a week in Mesa and didn't see any charm. I stayed on the East side and worked on the West.

2) It's hot. I mean HOT (especially in the sun, you can get a little respite in the shade). I mean can't touch anything outside (handles, railings, door knobs) hot. The streets radiate heat. My one son said "Mom, you are not built for AZ." He's right from a heat perspective. It zapped me.

3) I didn't find traffic bad. I was mainly on 101/202.

4) more shopping than you'd ever imagine. OP, think 10's of square miles of Paramus.

5) RE taxes are crazy low.

6) everything (for me) was 20 minutes away. it was hysterical. the school, work, airport, a certain store, a friend's house, Top Golf - everything's 20 minutes, LOL.

7) It's not as green as NJ. I live in a beautiful part of the state (NW) and it's an explosion of green. There's some green in certain places (ASU for instance) but this part of AZ I found mostly brown. Today is 70 and no humidity and I'm in my glory. My ideal temp is probably in the low 60's.

8) oh! and this is funny b/c i don't really know where anything is and this is mainly confined to Scottsdale. The buildings are brown, the landscape is brown, the signs are brown and they are low on the ground. The logos for stores (walmart, target, etc) are a bit different than here, and since they are encased in brown and on the ground, I found a lot of times I didn't know I was there until I was right on top of it! We were cracking up and surely pissing someone behind us off when we'd quickly turn into the parking lot.

9) AJ's supermarket is a treasure.

10) the air is dry. I got a rash/peeling on my eyelids probably from the dryness and chlorine in the pool. I need an RX to clear it up

11) Mill St in Tempe is awesome.

12) we are going at the end of September - looking forward to the lower temps. I agree 90 at night there in comfortable. A tad hot for me, but completely tolerable.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There are TONS of irritants here in the Valley. Dont think the dry air will cure anything. Many people move here and often get worse than they were before (myself included). Dust and allergens here are rampant, and I now suffer from chronic bronchitis since moving here. Its not been fun.

And be sure not to buy a home in an area prone to flooding. Our condo has flooded twice, requiring extensive drywall repairs and floor replacement. Mold grew extremely quick and is still an issue.
My boys just saw their first haboob yesterday!!! They were very excited.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

2) It's hot. I mean HOT (especially in the sun, you can get a little respite in the shade). I mean can't touch anything outside (handles, railings, door knobs) hot. The streets radiate heat. My one son said "Mom, you are not built for AZ." He's right from a heat perspective. It zapped me.

Funny thing is that it wasnt even that hot when you were here. I would've loved to see you here in mid-June when it was 118.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area