Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:01 PM

394 posts, read 343,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
People that constantly argue politics I find to be the most narrow minded and least informed. I am pleased to see 600 high quality jobs come here and not worried about the possibility many of them may favor higher taxes and legalized weed, etc. I don't agree with liberals or Conservatives half the time but not everything in life revolves around politics.
Interestingly you're the one arguing it... I simply made a comment.

So - I guess I agree with the beginning of your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
When the thread is SF and technology then trust me it's gonna make a difference here.

And who said anything about religious right?

BTW, as far as "another political post"... All I can ask is for you not to bury your head in the sand and ignore what has happened right next door... If you arent aware of the negatives, you should enlighten yourself - and if you simply don't care, that's when things go bad.

Just trying to keep things in perspective - and hope AZ doesn't fail like CA.
The sad thing is we would get more jobs if we didn't have such a nutjob redneck social policy. What right wing members fail to comprehend is rich educated people only vote alongside you to save taxes. They don't care for the racist gun toting anti gay rhetoric. If anything, they are more attracted to Texas because at least cities like Dallas and Austin are more socially liberal than us at the moment The extreme right is hurting the economy here. It drives the educated away. People don't want to move to state with a bunch of backward people regardless of the money they might save on low taxes. We need to offer the best of both worlds: conservative fiscal policy and liberal social policy. That will attract companies and white collar professionals.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-14-2016 at 01:42 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 AM

394 posts, read 343,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The sad thing is we would get more jobs if we didn't have such a nutjob redneck social policy. What right wing members fail to comprehend is rich educated people only vote alongside you to save taxes. They don't care for the racist gun toting anti gay rhetoric. If anything, they are more attracted to Texas because at least cities like Dallas and Austin are more socially liberal than us at the moment The extreme right is hurting the economy here. It drives the educated away. People don't want to move to state with a bunch of backward people regardless of the money they might save on low taxes. We need to offer the best of both worlds: conservative fiscal policy and liberal social policy. That will attract companies and white collar professionals.
You ended with a libertarian viewpoint - which I'm all about.

The problem with the types I referred to (and the thread/article eluded to) is they arent fiscally conservative at all. And they vote to tax society into oblivion.

You would think SF would be a land of liberation... Well, it's quite contrary. Some of the most restrictive policies are coming out of SF (as well as LA and of course Sac) - and taxed to lunacy... Silicon Valley perpetuates the demise...

So if you think a tech heavy Phoenix turning into land like SF is going to result in tax paying hard working contributors - you need to take a look at the model you want to pattern after. My primary point is; realize it's much more complex than it seems in theory or on paper. All growth is not good growth - and CA is a perfect example of that. Controlled calculated growth can be good (and that's what I'm cautioning).

The continued mention of "right wing" and implied "religious zealot" and your mention of "red-neck" - shows how short-sighted (and dare I say, narrow-minded) some of you are. With me all of that couldn't be farther from accurate. A Californian warning AZ to be cautiously aware of its growth is a good thing - don't let ignorance get in the way of helping keep the state a great place.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Quote:
Yet AZ is attracting business and people by the truckload and left wing cities like CHI, DET, STL, LA, NO, etc, are crumbling crapholes that are being evacuated with feverish abandon. Go ahead and call AZ and its conservative values "backwards", but just look at those cities with liberal values and how they've been absolutely pile-driven into the ground. So go ahead, spout off at the mouth about how bad it sucks here, then pack your bags and head to Detroit. Whats that? Did I just hear you say "hell no"? Then be quiet and enjoy just how good we have it here.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yet AZ is attracting business and people by the truckload and left wing cities like CHI, DET, STL, LA, NO, etc, are crumbling crapholes that are being evacuated with feverish abandon. Go ahead and call AZ and its conservative values "backwards", but just look at those cities with liberal values and how they've been absolutely pile-driven into the ground. So go ahead, spout off at the mouth about how bad it sucks here, then pack your bags and head to Detroit. Whats that? Did I just hear you say "hell no"? Then be quiet and enjoy just how good we have it here.
I'm not saying we are not recruiting companies. I'm saying we could be recruiting more companies. We are competing with Las Vegas, Dallas, Denver, Houston, and Austin for the same companies. The difference is those cities are beating us because they have better schools and are moderate socially. Go read their business journals and they are recruiting far more companies than us. They are passing us up because of our reputation for having poor schools, poor healthcare, being very socially conservative and downright nutty. If you think that isn't hurting us, you are in complete denial All of these cities offer the same tax breaks etc, so the difference comes to other factors. And quite frankly, they are owning us on those.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,995,643 times
Quote:
The politics of Arizona leaves much to be desired yet companies and people keep coming. Truth be told the politics of most places leave much to be desired. Finances become a major lure and California is going to learn that the hard way.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,475,726 times
Quote:
I'm not saying we are not recruiting companies. I'm saying we could be recruiting more companies. We are competing with Las Vegas, Dallas, Denver, Houston, and Austin for the same companies. The difference is those cities are beating us because they have better schools and are moderate socially. Go read their business journals and they are recruiting far more companies than us. They are passing us up because of our reputation for having poor schools, poor healthcare, being very socially conservative and downright nutty. If you think that isn't hurting us, you are in complete denial All of these cities offer the same tax breaks etc, so the difference comes to other factors. And quite frankly, they are owning us on those.
Couldn't agree more, although the Phoenix metro is becoming less extreme socially. I don't think that being a red metro is a negative factor, and I don't think it's completely stopping businesses and young professionals from moving here. As you said what is hurting us the most is the (somewhat exaggerated) anti-gay, anti-Mexican, gun-loving stereotype that people from liberal cities love to associate with Phoenix.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:57 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,018,344 times
Quote:
As I live in Las Vegas and Phoenix, I will tell you that Las Vegas most definitely have waaaaay worst schools than here. And their healthcare is worse there as well. On those two points I know you're wrong, but otherwise you're pretty much right.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,086,119 times
Now THIS is more like it! I'll take 600 high paying professional jobs over 2,000 low paying telemarketing jobs any day of the week! As for Schwab moving their HQ here, that would be an epic coup. Doubt it happens, though. I think Denver would be more likely where they recently built a huge and beautiful new 2,000+ employee campus in Lone Tree in the south part of the Denver metro, with room to expand by another 2,000 or so in the future (maybe with HQ in mind?).

Charles Schwab opens up Lone Tree campus – The Denver Post

Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM

457 posts, read 905,741 times
Quote:
Sorry, but Dallas (run by Democrats, at least at the political level) has horrible schools and the city itself is barely growing. The real economic/population growth of DFW is happening in the ultra-conservative suburbs, such as Plano, Frisco, and McKinney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: