Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 6,777 times

Advertisements

How ya'll doing this fine evening? I was selected to be a recruiter and found out my wife and I will be going to a recruiting center in the Mesa area. My wife works on base here where I'm currently stationed and would like to continue to work on a military installation. Unfortunately Luke AFB is about 50 minutes from where I'll be working.

Is there a decent area to live that's about 25 minutes from base and the superstition springs area, kind of a middle ground for the both of us? From what I can tell one of us would have to drive through phoenix and deal with the traffic but thenot again we've never been there so we don't know for sure.

Is there nice dirtbiking, lakes or rivers within anormal hour drive? It'll be nice to be somewhere where in the lakes you don't have to worry about gators or water moccasins. My wife is a beach going girl, are there any lakes with a Sandy beach that may fill her beach fancy?

We are moving from the Savannah, GA area so we aren't new to the heat albeit a different heat. And I have searched this forum and received answers for other questions I had but would like first hand knowledge about these specifics as well. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
No, there isn't anything that is going to be ideal for both of you. One of you is going to have to sacrifice and I recommend it be her. You're going to have limited time as a Recruiter (I was a Navy Recruiter here in the Phoenix area for many years) and the last thing you want to be doing is commuting across the valley every time you need to be in the office, visit a school, pick up a kid and take to MEPS, etc.

She should be looking for a job in the east valley and close to where you'll be working/living. Luke AFB is too far from your office in Mesa to try and split the difference. Doing that will make it miserable for both of you.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 PM

107 posts, read 201,133 times
LBTRS pretty much summed it up. Plenty of the recreation you mentioned in the east valley, though, so maybe that will help offset the fact that your wife may find herself in a different career path than she was on in GA. In the Superstition Springs area you'll be about 20 minutes from dirt biking, hiking, tubing the river, and Saguaro Lake, and less than an hour from Four Peaks (the tallest mountain in Maricopa County) or - in another direction - Canyon Lake and its many amenities.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:24 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times
The drive from superstition springs to LAFB is about 45min-1hr. You don't have many options, its pretty much surface streets or I-10. If you try that during rush hour (M-F 6am-9am & 3pm-7pm). It will be 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. All that outdoor stuff you mentioned is half that distance in the other direction.

& Not much sand, mostly sandstone.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Appreciate the replies guys. I figured there wouldn't be a middle ground or anything like that but didn't hurt to ask. So what are the good areas to look for a house to rent around the Mesa area? 10-20 minutes would be my ideal commute time to work from the house. Budget would be $1400 a month and under. Thanks guys.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoo34 View Post
Appreciate the replies guys. I figured there wouldn't be a middle ground or anything like that but didn't hurt to ask. So what are the good areas to look for a house to rent around the Mesa area? 10-20 minutes would be my ideal commute time to work from the house. Budget would be $1400 a month and under. Thanks guys.
Southeast Mesa is nicer. South of the US 60 is going to be better for any part of Mesa and it will be close to Superstition Springs. You will also be very close to water and desert recreation.

Canyon Lake has a few sandy beaches - but they are islands and you will need a boat

Canyon and Saguaro lake are about 30 minutes from East Mesa.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Southeast Mesa is nicer. South of the US 60 is going to be better for any part of Mesa and it will be close to Superstition Springs. You will also be very close to water and desert recreation.

Canyon Lake has a few sandy beaches - but they are islands and you will need a boat

Canyon and Saguaro lake are about 30 minutes from East Mesa.
I TOTALLY disagree. I think NorthEast Mesa (north of Power road) is far nicer and more attractive than South East Mesa. Furthermore, NE Mesa gets him closer to Saguaro and Canyon Lakes. Saguaro Lake has at least one sort of sandy beach - Butcher Jones Beach.

I will, however, admit, that SE Mesa is somewhat more convenient to shopping and chain restaurants.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:39 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times
Where in Mesa will you be working out of? Keep in mind that Mesa is a huge city in area (~140 sq miles), so if you lived in far east Mesa but worked in far west Mesa that's still a pretty big commute. Assuming you'll be somewhere in the middle of the main part of Mesa (north of US60), I'd look into areas north/northeast of, say, University and Lindsay in Mesa or almost any areas south of US60 which will be either Mesa or north Gilbert. From any of those places it's not that long to get out of town for some recreation - just hop on the 60 East, 87 North, or Bush Highway and you're there.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be working in the superstition springs area. I'll look into those areas. I'm looking forward to moving there. Seems like a nicer area to be in than Hinesville, Ga.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM

200 posts, read 413,163 times
Thank you for your service.
The superstition springs area is 30 to 45 min away from some nice off roading , and 2 lakes. Saguaro has a beach that you don't need a boat to get to. Off road areas, include 4 peaks, Montana mountain, queen valley and Florence junction. They are all pretty close. You can also be up in pine trees around Payson within 75 minutes.
For the wife to be at Luke, that's a drive. I live in queen creek and have to make the drive once a week. I can pretty much pick what day, but to beat traffic I leave at 6am and it's a good 75 min with no accidents or traffic delays. If I leave later then I start to hit traffic and it can add 30 min to the drive.
Perhaps you should look at homes west of superstition springs, maybe around the 60 and country club dr. I'm not sure of what's avail in that area, but it would lessen the wife's drive a little. A lot can depend on when she has to be at luke. I'm sure there's more who are familiar with that area and can help also.
I also believe MEPS is downtown phx, so you will be driving some also.
Either way, welcome and let me know if you need some places to go riding when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area