Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,286,866 times

Advertisements

Definitely an odd ranking for what people would think of as a college town, which is vastly different than a city with a college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,199 times
A quick glimpse at a map suggests that Carefree, Paradise Valley and Guadalupe are also landlocked.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:10 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,362,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Tempe is very unique in the valley because it's the only city that is already 100% landlocked which means infill/upward growth are the only options to grow at all and so far they've done a great job focusing on re-building dilapidated areas such as Apache between the 101 and Rural and pushing for density and a lot of employment in the Northern part of the city. Southern Tempe remains suburban friendly, with some of the nicest neighborhoods in the valley.

There have been some setbacks with proposals near Farmer being canceled do to resident push-back, but overall continuing to land jobs will make Tempe successful for years to come and one of the urban centers in a valley known for sprawl.
Even Guadalupe street in Tempe is becoming nice. That used to be a street that you avoided for the most part, but now it is becoming very busy. I was at the Trader Joes/Changing Hands book store region and that area is becoming really nice and busy.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 AM

218 posts, read 352,661 times
I would vote flagstaff. Tempe = high crime, traffic congestion.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:20 AM

218 posts, read 352,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
A quick glimpse at a map suggests that Carefree, Paradise Valley and Guadalupe are also landlocked.
As is cave creek and scottsdale and mesa.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Definitely an odd ranking for what people would think of as a college town, which is vastly different than a city with a college
I agree.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
I'd pick Flagstaff any day over Tempe. That's a real college town. It's all about NAU there. No one but alums pays attention to ASU sports anymore with all the pro teams in town. Even Mill lacks the college vibe it had years ago. Downtown Phoenix actually is a better college "town", IMO, than Tempe.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
We debated this on a previous thread about Tempe being a college town. While it is true, Tempe has a large state university (at least one of its campuses) within its borders and it might also be the largest employer in that city, Tempe is also a part of the larger Phoenix metroplex with a total of 4.5 million people and climbing.

I won't call Tempe a "college town", if it is, I would say it is an atypical one, at least for me.

A "college town" for me is a small to medium metro area/city where the university is the town's largest employer and it is usually, but not always, in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by farms and agriculture and definitely not within a larger metroplex.

When someone asks me to rattle off college towns, I would say, Gainesville, Athens, Tuscaloosa, State College, Starkville, Fayetteville, College Station, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Charlottesville, etc., Tempe would not come to mind. Now if you put Tempe in the middle of nowhere Arizona (like where Bisbee or Show-Low are), then yes, it's a college town.

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-08-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 03:57 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,318,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd pick Flagstaff any day over Tempe. That's a real college town. It's all about NAU there. No one but alums pays attention to ASU sports anymore with all the pro teams in town. Even Mill lacks the college vibe it had years ago. Downtown Phoenix actually is a better college "town", IMO, than Tempe.
Hahaha, no.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,772,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Did you look at their criteria? "Successful universities are always huge employers in communities, too. That’s why just to get on our 2016 list, towns had to have more than three colleges, and a high percentage of jobs in the education sector."

Post graduation job prospects ranked highly in this list not how much the university dominates life in it's city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area