Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:21 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times

Advertisements

Score another accolade for Tempe. The next Austin Texas

After considering its youthful population, career options, wages, housing and things to do, one website has ranked Tempe as the best college town in the country. The top 10 list was compiled by Livability, which for 28 years has researched small to mid-size communities and published lists ranking them on various factors. This list ranks Tempe ahead of Cambridge, Massachusetts, home of Harvard University, and Irvine, California, home of University of California-Irvine. Tempe also ranked No. 7 on the site's list of Top 10 Downtowns and No. 34 on its 50 Best Cities for Entrepreneurs this year.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lity/88302836/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 05:24 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Well, I certainly had a lot of fun. I'd hardly call Irvine a college town, even though UCI is located there.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Well, I certainly had a lot of fun. I'd hardly call Irvine a college town, even though UCI is located there.
Well they don't mean best college town as in partying.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,735,132 times
I'll drink to that.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
I had fun, I miss it sometimes.

Time for some bar hopping.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
The most progressive city in the valley, cheers to that.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
Terrible list. There's no way that Fairfax, VA is a college town. There is a college there, but it's a commuter school. And then they stretched to include the NoVa campus in Annandale. At least Ann Arbor and Cambridge made the list.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:37 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Terrible list. There's no way that Fairfax, VA is a college town. There is a college there, but it's a commuter school. And then they stretched to include the NoVa campus in Annandale. At least Ann Arbor and Cambridge made the list.
I think of Eugene and Gainesville, Hattiesburg, Athens, Charlottesville, etc. Tempe qualifies I think because the University is such a major part of the city, but Irvine for instance (which I grew up by), very few of the people that live there are connected to the University in any way, and few of the professors can afford to live within 10 miles. It is a large planned community. I agree it is a terrible list.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think of Eugene and Gainesville, Hattiesburg, Athens, Charlottesville, etc. Tempe qualifies I think because the University is such a major part of the city, but Irvine for instance (which I grew up by), very few of the people that live there are connected to the University in any way, and few of the professors can afford to live within 10 miles. It is a large planned community. I agree it is a terrible list.
I think you are confused. They are not ranking the best college campus. They are ranking the best college town/city meaning the best city with a university. In light of that, the list isn't as terrible as it may initially appear. But yeah overall, I agree it's a terrible list and I agree with that. Nonetheless, it's still impressive that Tempe was voted #1. Even on terrible lists, it's still challenging to get the #1 spot. I wouldn't have been as impressed if they were a top 10 or 20 but the #1 spot still means something. And a lot of what they say is true. It's not just a university town but it stands out on it's own as a nice suburban community like Chandler or Gilbert. A lot of college towns essentially only have the school and it's accoutrements. Tempe is a legitimate city with it's own skyline and likely soon to be professional sports team (Coyotes). Even in former bad areas of Tempe, they have sort of gentrified those areas because the city is becoming popular and developers are taking notice.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-06-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 08:06 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think you are confused. They are not ranking the best college campus. They are ranking the best college town/city meaning the best city with a university. In light of that, the list isn't as terrible as it may initially appear. But yeah overall, I agree it's a terrible list and I agree with that. Nonetheless, it's still impressive that Tempe was voted #1. Even on terrible lists, it's still challenging to get the #1 spot. I wouldn't have been as impressed if they were a top 10 or 20 but the #1 spot still means something. And a lot of what they say is true. It's not just a university town but it stands out on it's own as a nice suburban community like Chandler or Gilbert. A lot of college towns essentially only have the school and it's accoutrements. Tempe is a legitimate city with it's own skyline and likely soon to be professional sports team (Coyotes). Even in former bad areas of Tempe, they have sort of gentrified those areas because the city is becoming popular and developers are taking notice.
Tempe is very unique in the valley because it's the only city that is already 100% landlocked which means infill/upward growth are the only options to grow at all and so far they've done a great job focusing on re-building dilapidated areas such as Apache between the 101 and Rural and pushing for density and a lot of employment in the Northern part of the city. Southern Tempe remains suburban friendly, with some of the nicest neighborhoods in the valley.

There have been some setbacks with proposals near Farmer being canceled do to resident push-back, but overall continuing to land jobs will make Tempe successful for years to come and one of the urban centers in a valley known for sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area