Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Those Softubs are nice. There's one on Craigslist for $800, the littlest one. I better at least do some tests with my propane one before replacing it.

If the spa is too costly to heat, I wonder if I can repurpose the propane tank for a fireplace?
I had an inground spa with propane heat once. I would only heat it when I wanted to use it and it would heat up fairly quickly. It did not use all that much propane in a season. Being a tightwad I would notice things like that. So you should give it a try before you go spend thousands on an above ground plus the wiring you are going to need for it.

I now have a conventional fiberglass above ground electric and it is a much better spa with the jets, lights, sound etc. I have time of day with demand electric which would kill me using it on peak but is dirt cheap on weekends and at night. I run it in "economy mode" so it only heats during off peak times. It stays in the upper 90s even on coldest days and then heats up to 104 in about 1/2 hour once the rates drop. I barely notice it on the electric bill.

BTW, we get a lot more use of the spa than the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
Thanks. Good to know. That was exactly my thinking (to you both).

I love a deal but for major electrical appliances, having some store to call if it doesn't work two days after you get it home is pretty important.

I figure the propane tank is probably empty so I need to at least fill it and run it through and figure the cost. I guess the tough decision will be what if the heater needs repairs beforehand. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I had an in-ground, electric spa years ago and used it a lot and have always missed it but have had pools since then and haven't wanted to deal with maintaining two bodies of water.

I kind of like the old school, simple spas where you can sit upright and not have the water at your waist. I don't care about loungers or more than a couple jets or lights or music. I just want a hot pot of swirling water.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Thanks. Good to know. That was exactly my thinking (to you both).

I love a deal but for major electrical appliances, having some store to call if it doesn't work two days after you get it home is pretty important.

I figure the propane tank is probably empty so I need to at least fill it and run it through and figure the cost. I guess the tough decision will be what if the heater needs repairs beforehand. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I had an in-ground, electric spa years ago and used it a lot and have always missed it but have had pools since then and haven't wanted to deal with maintaining two bodies of water.

I kind of like the old school, simple spas where you can sit upright and not have the water at your waist. I don't care about loungers or more than a couple jets or lights or music. I just want a hot pot of swirling water.
You just described a softub, fready.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
I know! That's why I like the Softubs. But the in-pool ones are like that, too.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM

168 posts, read 457,123 times
I was surprised by how short the AZ swim season is, for someone like me who doesn't like cold water. We researched getting a pool heater when we built our pool, but it didn't make financial sense. I talked to many people who had pool heaters, but they rarely used them b/c it would cost them $200 to heat the pool for a weekend. Not to mention the cost of the heater installation. So we got a Jacuzzi too. Loooove it! We use it almost year round (except July and August, when it's too hot). I only use the pool June - September. But then, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water. The kids use the pool May - October, and never seem to get cold. Must be nice.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,026,606 times
Default Will the pool warm up in 90 degree weather?

We are just completing our new pool (water goes in tomorrow) but I mucked up and didn't arrange for the gas meter to be upgraded to run the heater/firepit so we need to wait until Monday to heat it. With the warm weather predicted this week any predictions on how warm the pool will get (it's a 11000 gallon pool, max depth of 4.5 feet). Just wondering if we'll be able to swim

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
We are just completing our new pool (water goes in tomorrow) but I mucked up and didn't arrange for the gas meter to be upgraded to run the heater/firepit so we need to wait until Monday to heat it. With the warm weather predicted this week any predictions on how warm the pool will get (it's a 11000 gallon pool, max depth of 4.5 feet). Just wondering if we'll be able to swim
My pool is 15,000 gallons and in the sun all day and is only up to 60 degrees. Way too cold for me to be into. Needs about another 15 degrees before I'll think about it.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,026,606 times
Thanks LBTRS - how much difference does a stretch of +90 degree days mean to the pool?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Just put on the 16 mil solar cover (really just heavy duty bubble wrap) and got my 13500 gal pool up to 66

Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Thanks LBTRS - how much difference does a stretch of +90 degree days mean to the pool?
It will help, it's the 58 degree nights that keep it from getting up where it needs to be. Will be late April or early May before it is warm enough for me to take a dip. Kids are a bit earlier though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area