Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM

728 posts, read 1,905,411 times

Advertisements

Recently moved here from Southern California, earlier this year. I drive for a living and spend 40+ hours driving the highways and roadways of the city.

I've been driving the Southern California areas for a while and have encountered all kinds of drivers so I'm used to a wide variety of situations on a daily basis, from timid Asian women drivers to aggressive truck driving douche bags. Every stereotype you can think of I have seen it.

After I started driving here in the Phoenix and surrounding area I noticed something unique about the local drivers that I have encountered more here than anywhere else I have ever driven.

The vast majority of drivers I encounter on a daily basis simply LOVE to pull out right in front of you. No matter what time of day or night, without fail, I'll be driving down a street. No car behind me for MILES. I see a car up ahead, either coming out of a driveway, another street or whatever and rather than wait just 5 seconds for me to pass by THEY JUST PULL RIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF YOU.

This happens so frequently I have learned to simply expect it.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:29 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,129,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Recently moved here from Southern California, earlier this year. I drive for a living and spend 40+ hours driving the highways and roadways of the city.

I've been driving the Southern California areas for a while and have encountered all kinds of drivers so I'm used to a wide variety of situations on a daily basis, from timid Asian women drivers to aggressive truck driving douche bags. Every stereotype you can think of I have seen it.

After I started driving here in the Phoenix and surrounding area I noticed something unique about the local drivers that I have encountered more here than anywhere else I have ever driven.

The vast majority of drivers I encounter on a daily basis simply LOVE to pull out right in front of you. No matter what time of day or night, without fail, I'll be driving down a street. No car behind me for MILES. I see a car up ahead, either coming out of a driveway, another street or whatever and rather than wait just 5 seconds for me to pass by THEY JUST PULL RIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF YOU.

This happens so frequently I have learned to simply expect it.
The fathers of the drivers that do this should have pulled out.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Not what I was expecting, but in a good way

Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 AM

852 posts, read 974,800 times
Related to how people pull in/out and turn, people around here make obscenely wide right turns. Everyone seems to think they're driving a bus when it comes to making a right turn at an intersection or making a right turn into a driveway. Me personally, I have not seen as much of this elsewhere.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,398,970 times
Lots of old people in Phoenix area.

Bad eysight, stiff necks, and bad hearing. They are not pulling out into anything that they can see.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Great title! It's true. It happens to me all the time. It's not just old people either. I'll honk and then they look at me like I'm the crazy one. I really think drivers ed here must have been a horrible program. No one seems to understand right of way at intersections, when to go at a stop sign, the concept of staying right on the freeway, using turn signals, etc.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:10 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,324 times
I was just thinking....we need another driving or weather/how hot it is here thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Lots of old people in Phoenix area.

Bad eysight, stiff necks, and bad hearing. They are not pulling out into anything that they can see.
Census data shows we actually have a much younger population out here in Phoenix than the nation and AZ as a whole.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,660,821 times
Hmmmmm. That only happens to me when I'm pulling a trailer. If I'm pulling my boat or my jet skis, rest assured someone will glide right passed a red light or stop sign and make a right turn directly in front of me.
If you read any of my posts, everyone knows how much I enjoy living here. However, I do have a few relatively minor issues and mostly about the drivers. My biggest peave is the tailgaters. It's one thing to tailgate when I'm in car or truck but I have serious issues with people that tailgate me when I'm on my motorcycle. It's typjcally a huge 4x4/SUV or some young girl texting on her phone. Drives me bat crap crazy. My answer is to just slow down and keep slowing down until they pass me. That sure upsets them.
I know that is not a great way to deal with them. One of these days you'll here about me on the news. I'll **** off the wrong person.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,778,283 times
I was browsing Reddit and came across this earlier.

https://blog.automatic.com/where-are...09d#.hubycy9n0

I believe some of it. I sure am tired of the tailgating here.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 PM

39,144 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Great title! It's true. It happens to me all the time. It's not just old people either. I'll honk and then they look at me like I'm the crazy one. I really think drivers ed here must have been a horrible program. No one seems to understand right of way at intersections, when to go at a stop sign, the concept of staying right on the freeway, using turn signals, etc.
There is no driver ed in schools here, but that has little to do with it. The vast majority of drivers are from somewhere else - mostly California - so they brought that with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area