Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times

Advertisements

The honeybees that come to get water from my pool do seem to be much more aggressive than the wasps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,334,222 times
Most likely there is a hive in the neighborhood and they were coming to your pool for a drink like you said. I would hire a pest control company and have them search your home particularly your attic as they can make nests practically anywhere. Their nests are in high locations such as roofs or in corners.

They are not violent and usually if you leave them alone, they won't sting you. The sad thing I never saw wasps, bees or hornets here when I moved in the early 1990's. I spent some time in Texas and they were everywhere. But in the last few years, it seems like we have gotten more vespids. Usually it is so dry and hot here that they can't survive.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-31-2016 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 11:58 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,849,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I got nailed on the ring finger last summer reaching for a ball that my son and I were tossing back and forth in the pool. Hurts like a motherfunker. I just looked on the bright side... at least it wasnt a sting from the tarantula hawk wasp. They reportedly have the 2nd worst sting in the entire world. When I see those, I keep a HUGE distance.
Yeah the only times I've seen them was when they were chasing me. I attract their attention for some reason. Some of the scariest moments in my life. They literally eat TARANTULAS, that alone is hardcore and means they shouldn't be messed with. Since spiders are meant to be killed with fire to ensure safety, I suggest maybe nukes for these guys? I'm sure all other Arizonans suffering from the radiation would understand, especially after showing them a picture of one of these giants. A lot of bugs freak me out in terms of creepiness scale but tarantula hawk wasps actually terrify me, they give me enough of a reason to move to Mars.

You'd think with the lack of water and extreme heat we have, how we manage to have all these insects and reptiles is fascinating.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,490,921 times
In all the years we've had a pool, never been stung by one. Seen them landing in the water often though like yourself. And we did a lot of swimming. I left them alone, they left me/us alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I got nailed on the ring finger last summer reaching for a ball that my son and I were tossing back and forth in the pool. Hurts like a motherfunker. I just looked on the bright side... at least it wasnt a sting from the tarantula hawk wasp. They reportedly have the 2nd worst sting in the entire world. When I see those, I keep a HUGE distance.
Maybe the pain was so strong because it stung you on a sensitive nerve area. Sounds similar to a scorpion bite or any insect bite for that matter as it depends where they bite you. A neighbor of mine was bit by a scorpion a few times over the decades. The bite on the finger he told me was very painful while a bite somewhere else(think it was the leg but not sure) hardly was noticed. I noticed the same type thing with a honeybee string. I've been bit in the arm, leg, etc over the years and while it smarted a bit, it wasn't to bad. The one that flew under my sandal by accident and bit under my toe last year, that was painful. Had a bit of swelling for around a week. Never had such a reaction to a bee sting before/I'm not allergic to them.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 AM

7,218 posts, read 9,284,753 times
I've been stung by the paper wasps several times over the years. I don't think it's any worse than a bee sting. Never had any problem other than a welt that lasts a day.

There are several reasons why they sting. But really they are just protecting their nest. All my stings come from working in the yard. They particularly don't like my trimmers when it gets too close to the nest. I've learned to keep one eye on my surroundings when trimming, etc.

I've found their nests in thick bushes, oleanders, lantana, etc. Even in places where the grass gets out of control sometimes. They will also build them in the eaves or other shady places around the house.

When I find a nest I destroy it. It's not like there aren't plenty more wasps around. That's all it takes. Knock the nest down and they leave. Do they build another? IDK. Don't worry about it.

One more thing. You can use 409 to push them back. Warning, it also makes them mad. And if there are more than one they will gang up on you.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,987,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
They literally eat TARANTULAS, that alone is hardcore and means they shouldn't be messed with. Since spiders are meant to be killed with fire to ensure safety, I suggest maybe nukes for these guys? I'm sure all other Arizonans suffering from the radiation would understand, especially after showing them a picture of one of these giants. A lot of bugs freak me out in terms of creepiness scale but tarantula hawk wasps actually terrify me, they give me enough of a reason to move to Mars.

You'd think with the lack of water and extreme heat we have, how we manage to have all these insects and reptiles is fascinating.
lol

Well, the wasp larvae are what eat the tarantulas, not the wasp that attacks the tarantulas. What they do is sting the tarantula, which paralyzes it, then they lay eggs in it, which literally eat the tarantula alive.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,987,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Maybe the pain was so strong because it stung you on a sensitive nerve area..
Yeah, thats probably what it was. Got the inside of my ring finger, right on the side of the middle knuckle. Didnt feel good at all. It stung bad for a good hour, then ached pretty bad for another 2-3 hours after that.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,964,149 times
The problem with those is they usually sting more than once, not like bees where the sting kills them. They very rarily bother me though.

Ibuprofen makes the pain go away fairly quickly, but also cleanse the area like you would a cut, it can become infected.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,193,543 times
I had this wasp problem a few years ago. What I learned was they are collecting water for their nest.

Your local pool store should have a bottle of wasp repellent you can pour in the pool which will decrease the surface tension of the water, preventing the wasps from being able to land on the surface. I don't think it's a harmful chemical. We used it and it worked. The wasps would try to land and then fly away when they realize they can't. Eventually the learn not to come to your pool.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,490,921 times
I wouldn't jump right to the "kill it!" train of thought as paper wasps are a beneficial insect:

Beneficial insects in the garden: #01 Paper Wasps

"Remember, paper wasps are actually beneficial insects because they prey on other insects that we consider pests of the shrubs and flowers around our homes. If a nest is located where it is out of the way and not likely to be disturbed, homeowners should consider leaving it alone."

If a nest is found and it's in a high traffic area, I can understand that being another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area