Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 12:03 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times

Advertisements

When I was 16 I was mowing lawns for an apartment complex in Scottsdale and one of my classmates from Saguaro HS who was visiting her grandmother who lived there was sunning herself at the pool along with her year-younger and way cuter sister. It's hard to look cool on a 12 HP riding Craftsman but I was doing my best as I passed by them and ducked down and drove under a palm tree with rather low branches. Almost immediately my right shoulder was on fire and I swatted it with my left hand which suddenly felt as if I had stuck it in a electrical outlet. I rolled off the mower which was still moving and jumped away as a bunch of wasps flew around. I yelled "Wasps!" which caused the two young ladies to bolt into their grandmother's apartment; my classmate shrieked "Allergic!" as she ran inside. The mower stopped when it hit the wall to the carport, and I shut it off. Later that day I returned with a can of wasp spray while wearing a raincoat, by then the pain had subsided. The nest was about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, I estimate I received between 10 and 20 stings. It may have been fewer, but it didn't feel that way at the time.

There was a plus to that event. The cuter younger sister exited the pool area immediately with her sister but left her bikini top at the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 05:46 PM

843 posts, read 563,575 times
Yes, I got stung on my wrist by a paper wasp that had a small nest in a rolled up BBQ grill cover stored below my grill. They can make a nest almost anywhere. I am not allergic to bee stings but my hand swelled up pretty badly near the sting. The Dr treated me for cellulitis from the stinger bacteria, which was the correct diagnosis. She said an allergic reaction is more systemic with tongue swelling, etc.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
So I guess it's an algaecide with a side effect of deterring wasps.

https://www.amazon.com/Biodex-Labora.../dp/B00C7UFYZC

Read some of the top reviews. A lot of people are buying this for the wasps, not to kill algae!

I'm sure your local pool store carries this too.

Did this product work for you DetroitN8V? Or anyone else?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Sorry, I didn't try it. I still have the wasps, but they seem to be pretty respectful and move out of the way.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Sorry, I didn't try it. I still have the wasps, but they seem to be pretty respectful and move out of the way.
That's how they are in my pool. I give them space and they don't bother me. I will also scoop them up with the net if they happen to fall all the way into the water.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AM...b_b_asin_title

Just a little bit of this changes the surface tension of the water. We had a constant stream of wasps until I added a little bit of this. Now one will occasionally fly over but then leave. I’d say it’s resulted in a 95%+ reduction in wasps and bees in the pool

Edit: I see it was mentioned upthread. Still a very useful product

Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 AM

490 posts, read 583,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It is for this reason I don't have flowers or flowery plants such as lantana near the pool. I have vines along the back wall and boxwoods and pigmy date palms as well as potted ficus trees. All give a lush look without attracting bees. I do have some lantana in the rear yard, however it is 15 feet +/- away which seems to be far enough.
Wasp are not bees searching for flowering plants for the most unless looking for a meal. They are carnivorous. They do like to build nest in plant/trees regardless . Palm trees are some of their favorites where the fiborous lose section are up the trunk or the crown. They are also fond of building under ground nest.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:40 PM

55 posts, read 180,076 times
I got nailed on the face. It stung and hurt but after an hour, the pain was minimal. I have a small active nest in my carport, outside my carport door. I am watching it warily. So far, after 1-2 mos., we seem to be living amiably. From what I’ve seen, they either abandon the nests after awhile, or they go into hibernation. When it gets cold, if it looks inactive, I’ll address it. Now those tarantula and cricket wasps are something else! Hope never to get stung by one of those!

Old 06-12-2022, 03:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I ordered it after learning about it in this thread and have been using it ever since. Works great.

Old 06-13-2022, 04:23 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I ordered it after learning about it in this thread and have been using it ever since. Works great.
I sold my house with the pool and don't have a pool anymore, but yes the product worked great for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area