Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 PM

249 posts, read 189,708 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I'm interviewing for a position at a company in Chandler that looks promising. It's on Price near where the 101 and 202 interchange. I live in the Arcadia area near 40th Street and Campbell so this will be a lengthy commute if I'm accepted.
If I'm offered the position I can request a flex shift or evening shift but it's not a guarantee I'll get it. I don't like the 9 to 5 routine very much, and most of all I don't like driving in congested rush hour traffic.
On the drive to work it looks like I could take 44th Street south, get on the 202 and go east, take that to the 101 and go straight down. If I work evenings I'm thinking I might run into some heavy traffic going to work.
Does anyone else commute this way, and what's the thickness of traffic like? I'm curious about all times of day.
If anyone has ideas for a better route I'd be open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:05 PM

123 posts, read 176,187 times
I'm not all that familiar with the SE valley, but if you commute at traditional times, you will generally be heading in the opposite direction as the typical rush hour traffic for a significant portion of your commute. I can't imagine that you would have too much of a problem with rush hour congestion, particularly if you avoid the 10, given the direction you'd be heading.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:24 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Arcadia to south Chandler is a very long commute. Even if she decides to work an evening schedule, that usually means driving TO work during the afternoon/evening rush hour. It would be a reverse commute at least half way, but I'm not so sure about the southbound 101 ... seems to me there would be heavy traffic on that stretch through Tempe and into Chandler.

I'm wondering what the benefits are at this employer that the OP would need to drive so far to work. Seems to me that they would have to offer a hefty salary and lots of perks (more than most companies). Living in Arcadia, I would think there would be plenty of companies hiring for positions which offer decent pay and benefits which are in closer proximity.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,107,958 times
My daughter lives around 40th and Osborn, and I am around Price and the 202/101 interchange. Close to Chandler Mall.

I have driven that alot. I go Queen creek rd to I 10 north to the Airport cutoff (383 or something) to McDowell. Go left on Mcd and then north on 44th st. to Osborn (Campbell).

It takes me 40 minutes usually. I did it in rush hour 2 days ago and was there in 35 minutes, but going south on the I 10 at evening rush hour is a pain.

Price Rd is getting more and more companies which means more traffic. Why don't you come to SE Chandler and find a place to live. Nice homes around here.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:52 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,956,011 times
Wish we had the "long" commutes that you have... This looks to be an average of 23 - 25 miles depending on the route.. Heck that is just down the road for us... A 25 mile commute here can take up to 2 hours.... the average is 45 minutes to an hour.... On a good day..

We cannot wait to move there and NOT have the traffic like we do here.. And yes, we have been there a few times and driven in what you call rush hour, and we were happy.....

Old 09-04-2016, 01:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Wish we had the "long" commutes that you have... This looks to be an average of 23 - 25 miles depending on the route.. Heck that is just down the road for us... A 25 mile commute here can take up to 2 hours.... the average is 45 minutes to an hour.... On a good day..

We cannot wait to move there and NOT have the traffic like we do here.. And yes, we have been there a few times and driven in what you call rush hour, and we were happy.....
Preach

People here have no clue what traffic is like in other large metropolitan cities. Please preach some sense into these people. They complain if they have to drive over 30 minutes one way. I think that is probably due to people who move here from small cities in the midwest and south where they are used to 10 minute commutes

Old 09-05-2016, 07:15 AM

9,866 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post

IMHO, it's much worse that you mentioned for a lot of people. I was in LA last winter and I was absolutely amazed on how slow traffic was. Even worse, rush hour starts extremely early and goes till after 10AM. It starts backing up again around 2:30 in the afternoon. On a friday night, I left a supplier's place at 8:45 and was warned traffic wasn't done yet. I didn't believe him and he was right. It was stop-and-go at 8:45pm heading back to Phoenix and had to get a hotel at 9:30 pm because I gave up. So putting it another way, there is flowing traffic from 10am till 2:30 or a mere 4.5 hours per day or sunlight (M-F)! That's it. MPLS rush hours runs from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3pm-6:30pm. PHX slightly less than MPLS. Boston is child's play (7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m). LA is ranked #1 worse traffic. PHX is 40th And the city with the worst traffic in the U.S. is...

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...in_Los_Angeles "Los Angeles rush hour occurs on weekdays between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m., and in the afternoon between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m (although rush-hour traffic can occasionally spill out to 11am and start again from 2:30pm until as late as 9pm, especially on Fridays)."

Old 09-05-2016, 10:41 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,956,011 times
MN-Born-n-Raised.... I agree.. Yeah Rush hour around here really sucks.. ESPECIALLY on Friday nights.... Everyone trying to get out of town.... The 15 to Vegas can take you anywhere between 5 and 10 hours to get there..... And that is only roughly 250 miles....

AND traffic will stop for no reason on the freeways... One minute you are going 70 then you are stopped then you are going 70 again....

Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
IMHO, it's much worse that you mentioned for a lot of people. I was in LA last winter and I was absolutely amazed on how slow traffic was. Even worse, rush hour starts extremely early and goes till after 10AM. It starts backing up again around 2:30 in the afternoon. On a friday night, I left a supplier's place at 8:45 and was warned traffic wasn't done yet. I didn't believe him and he was right. It was stop-and-go at 8:45pm heading back to Phoenix and had to get a hotel at 9:30 pm because I gave up. So putting it another way, there is flowing traffic from 10am till 2:30 or a mere 4.5 hours per day or sunlight (M-F)! That's it. MPLS rush hours runs from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3pm-6:30pm. PHX slightly less than MPLS. Boston is child's play (7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m). LA is ranked #1 worse traffic. PHX is 40th And the city with the worst traffic in the U.S. is...

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...in_Los_Angeles "Los Angeles rush hour occurs on weekdays between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m., and in the afternoon between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m (although rush-hour traffic can occasionally spill out to 11am and start again from 2:30pm until as late as 9pm, especially on Fridays)."
I'm surprised to learn that rush hour now starts at 5 am. I remember when rush hour was starting at 6 am and I thought that was bad. It's absolute inexcusable that it now starts at 5 am.

It amazes me that some people here still reject light rail and the south mountain freeway knowing we could be another L.A. A big reason their traffic is terrible is they have no public transportation system. I'm glad our leaders and the majority of our citizens don't want to follow L.A.'s mistakes

Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 PM

249 posts, read 189,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Arcadia to south Chandler is a very long commute. Even if she decides to work an evening schedule, that usually means driving TO work during the afternoon/evening rush hour. It would be a reverse commute at least half way, but I'm not so sure about the southbound 101 ... seems to me there would be heavy traffic on that stretch through Tempe and into Chandler.

I'm wondering what the benefits are at this employer that the OP would need to drive so far to work. Seems to me that they would have to offer a hefty salary and lots of perks (more than most companies). Living in Arcadia, I would think there would be plenty of companies hiring for positions which offer decent pay and benefits which are in closer proximity.

Believe me, I applied at different companies that were closer-Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix, Biltmore, and Arcadia areas. Most of the hours weren't flexible and the benefit packages were so-so.
Right now I work in an office in the Biltmore area, it's a 9 to 5 kind of schedule and there's not much room for advancement.
I don't like the 9 to 5 shifts mostly because of the traffic, and those kind of schedules are really outdated anyway.
This place I applied at looks very promising with very flexible work schedules, better pay, and good benefits. The only problem is the distance from home but I think I'd rather drive a little more, get a better benefits package, and avoid most of the heavy traffic than work a drudging 9 to 5 schedule and not be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area