Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 05:56 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Always seemed strange to me how fast the area gentrified and this totally explains it and resolves some of my confusion surrounding Phoenix. I always have wondered why people in Roosevelt Row don't just move to Tucson considering Tucson has always been more alternative than anywhere in the valley.
Because it's an arts community. Who has the money to support additional artists in Tucson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 08:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yeah I'm not sold on "Bianco" being such a huge draw, especially with the explosion of pizza restaurants all over. I went for the first time in the mid 90's on a date when I first moved here and they were getting all the press. I was not that impressed. I went again within the past 5 years and also was not impressed. I really prefer Toscany's, Stone & Vine and Grimaldi's for coal brick oven pizza. All have locations in Chandler and they offer better flavor IMO and also feature fresh ingredients. Downtown Chandler also has La Bocca and Gilbert has a Pomo. Of course, Downtown Phoenix has more choices, but my point is, you will have essentially the same experience in all of these areas, there's nothing really to set Phoenix apart (yet). Especially versus Scottsdale and Tempe, which I feel still have more to offer downtown than Phoenix.

Now as far as shows, I can only speak to where I live in Chandler, the Chandler Center for the Arts is located downtown adjacent to the High School, and has symphonies, musicals, magic shows, ballet etc, all of which I would never attend ,much like I wouldn't attend a similar downtown show. Downtown PHX certainly has more concerts, but it really wasn't a huge selling point when those same concerts were at Compton Terrace in Chandler either. I'm not one for any of the local museums, I have been to some of the local museums including the Railroad museum in Chandler, Heard Museum in Phoenix, but those are once in a lifetime things for me, not something I would do on a weekly basis. The museums in NYC and DC would be more of a draw for me.

All I'm trying to say is that Phoenix is still far from being unique and really doesn't offer anything yet that is a major draw, and nothing much that would draw someone like me from the suburbs (and I think a majority of suburban residents would think like me). I think jobs are the first thing it needs and it has started to finally move the needle in the right direction, not playing second fiddle to some of the East Valley suburbs like in the past.
Yeah, that makes sense for you then, I did live in Chandler for about 3 years and found myself doing nothing but leaving there for things to do. I would have zero interest in ever moving back that far East. But that's why we should have a good mix of city living and suburbs because everyone has different tastes and walks of life.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:37 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
And valley native, the chase bank building isn't even tall. 38 stories is baby **** in Chicago
By today's standards, no the Chase Tower isn't tall, but it was in 1972 when it was constructed. Why do you suppose a building like that could be put in downtown Phoenix well over 40 years ago when Phoenix was small by today's standards, but not now? Why are mostly 5 to 20 story buildings being constructed now instead of highrises as tall or taller than Chase? The answer: obviously there was demand for highrises in downtown and the Central Corridor in the 1960s through 1980s, even though that was the era of outward sprawl growth. If there was demand for them back then, there should be even greater demand for 40, 50, or 60 story towers now ... however, they won't be built if NIMBYs keep standing in the way, and/or lame excuses like Sky Harbor's close proximity keep being made.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
By today's standards, no the Chase Tower isn't tall, but it was in 1972 when it was constructed. Why do you suppose a building like that could be put in downtown Phoenix well over 40 years ago when Phoenix was small by today's standards, but not now? Why are mostly 5 to 20 story buildings being constructed now instead of highrises as tall or taller than Chase? The answer: obviously there was demand for highrises in downtown and the Central Corridor in the 1960s through 1980s, even though that was the era of outward sprawl growth. If there was demand for them back then, there should be even greater demand for 40, 50, or 60 story towers now ... however, they won't be built if NIMBYs keep standing in the way, and/or lame excuses like Sky Harbor's close proximity keep being made.
I know exactly where you're coming from but downtown doesn't really need taller office buildings, it has plenty as is.

If more people wanted to live downtown it would be cool to have 50-story condominium towers but there would need to be more stores at ground level.

It's senseless to live in the heart of the city and have to drive several miles to find a supermarket.

I'm hoping the Fry's store will encourage more markets to open up and make downtown a true active urban center, it has improved a lot since I moved here but it still could be more active.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:35 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I know exactly where you're coming from but downtown doesn't really need taller office buildings, it has plenty as is.
Maybe downtown had plenty of highrises in the 1970s or 1980s based on the size of the city at the time, but it's heavily lacking now ... especially when smaller cities across the country have more prominent skylines. I definitely agree that downtown has improved significantly in other ways since the 1980s, but concentrating on building mostly 5 or 10 story buildings in the downtown core is very small townish by today's standards, and it's doing little or nothing to improve Phoenix's stance in the nation or the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
If more people wanted to live downtown it would be cool to have 50-story condominium towers but there would need to be more stores at ground level.
I'm all for that, and there have been proposals to build taller condo towers & hotels. Many of them never materialized due to NIMBY protests, or financial reasons. If there was a greater corporate presence downtown, there would be an even greater demand for the 50+ story condos & hotels. People are wanting to live closer to work these days.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 PM

278 posts, read 548,215 times
I'm 31 and will be moving from Soho NYC to RoRo PHX. My son lives in Phoenix and I would like to be close to him. I absolutely love Roosevelt Row, It's walkable and I love to bike everywhere. I am so used to aprtment living wit stuff going on so it seems like the right fit. I also love that it's so close to the historic District, something about the green grass and Palm trees lined up that i like. Part of me wishes it had a bit more going on like Mill ave but not too much lol here in downtown NY we have bar after bar after bar, and i love that noise.

And when I'm rich, I'm buying this place, if you live there I'm buying you out!

Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,638,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Wrong. There are no 40-60 story highrises under construction in Phoenix because there is no demand for those sorts of buildings. The companies that would traditionally favor highrise structures are locating in cities like Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, and Gilbert building low and mid rise campuses here where there is space to provide ample free parking. Downtown and Midtown Phoenix are obsolete pits where no one is looking to build high rise office space. Office vacancy rates are very high in these areas. Why, then, would anyone with any sense build additional office space? It makes no sense at all.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Wrong. There are no 40-60 story highrises under construction in Phoenix because there is no demand for those sorts of buildings. The companies that would traditionally favor highrise structures are locating in cities like Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, and Gilbert building low and mid rise campuses here where there is space to provide ample free parking. Downtown and Midtown Phoenix are obsolete pits where no one is looking to build high rise office space. Office vacancy rates are very high in these areas. Why, then, would anyone with any sense build additional office space? It makes no sense at all.
Obsolete pits? Do you got Downtown?

Old 10-30-2016, 12:36 AM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Dear diary,

Today I realised how thankful I am to live in such a great place that so many take for granted.

Tall buildings, ant farms, consumer dupe organic grocery, exaggerated complaints of traffic, woeful cries for more (whatever) - are distant almost nonexistent murmurs...

Today was a good day in my rural land of peace

Old 10-30-2016, 09:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Are you a politician? There isn't a single fact that supports your argument that downtown and midtown are obsolete. Here's a few facts for you. And the energy has only grown since then...

Downtown on Top: ABC15 tracks rapid growth, development of Downtown Phoenix - ABC15 Arizona

• The less than 2 square-mile area of downtown Phoenix has experienced $4.7 billion in development between 2004 and 2015.
  • There are almost 3,000 residential units in development or under construction and more than 1,000 more pending requests for proposals.
  • The area is about to get 1.1 million more square feet of hotels, retail and educational space and 600 more hotel rooms.
  • Sales taxes from hotels, stores, restaurants and bars have gone up 92 percent since 2008.
  • More than 12,500 college students have moved in, as Arizona State University, the University of Arizona’s medical school and Eller College of Management, Northern Arizona State University’s Allied Health Program, Summit Law School, Rio Salado Community College and Phoenix College have opened up in the neighborhood.
  • And, since, 2008, the area has netted 60 new restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area