Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably be leaving by the end of the year. My biggest issue is my commute to work but I've grown increasingly frustrated with the changes over the past few years. Since The Vig opened downtown my street has become overrun with hipsters that gobble up the neighborhood parking and take space away from residents. These dolts can't even parallel park a car so they take up more space than needed. It's so bad I've actually debated starting a blog to document what these people call "parking".

There's too many high-rise apartments going in too. It's changed so much over the past few years and I don't think it's for the better. We'll see what happens but I'm not convinced this "boom" will last and I know a Roosevelt Row business owner that's not convinced it will either. Wait and see, I suppose but I look to head out.
Huh, it's the center of urbanity in the nation's sixth largest city.

Why shouldn't there be highrise buildings and a diverse population downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 AM

594 posts, read 700,014 times
Default We did it Phoenix. WE DID IT !

One moment please while I wipe the tears from my eyes...
This is a beautiful thread isn't it.
We did it.
Haters are on suicide watch !
Hey Cleveland....I know how you feel now.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:26 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,477,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Huh, it's the center of urbanity in the nation's sixth largest city.

Why shouldn't there be highrise buildings and a diverse population downtown?
Stop being so logical!!!! haha

Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
One moment please while I wipe the tears from my eyes...
This is a beautiful thread isn't it.
We did it.
Haters are on suicide watch !
Hey Cleveland....I know how you feel now.
What the funk are you talking about? Because some dorky, lookalike, cloney hipsters moved downtown means "we did it"? Did what? Attract posers to a small area of Phoenix? Oooh. Ahhh. That happens in every major city and suburb across the nation.

Go visit Chicago or Seattle or San Fran or NYC or Atlanta and tell me we've "made it" or "we did it". Granted, we are sloooooooooowly making strides, but we are so far behind other major cities in so many areas that its quite embarrassing. When friends and family visit me and say "take me around Phoenix", I rarely oblige, simply because there's not much to show. For as large as we are, we lack too much.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 AM

189 posts, read 231,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is the best response on this thread on so many levels. First of all, you put "college kids" in quotation marks for a good reason. They are not college kids. They are "hipsters" meaning it includes people in college but also a lot of young adults who have full times jobs in their late 20's and early 30's.

These hipsters made Roosevelt Row relevant. Prior to the hipster invasion, no one had even heard of Roosevelt Row particularly if you lived in the suburbs. It was nothing but a shanty little area that was known exclusively for First Fridays. It wasn't until the hipsters invaded that money began pouring into that area to meet their demand. And now the OP wants to p$# on the very people who made Roosevelt Row relevant. So you want it to go back to what it was: a barren undeveloped street that had prostitutes and homeless. Yay, return it to the old days.

And any relevant arts district has tourist traps and chains. They all do. Any "artiste" who thinks otherwise hasn't really traveled to those places and is just envisioning their perfect neighborhood.
(standing ovation)

Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
What the funk are you talking about? Because some dorky, lookalike, cloney hipsters moved downtown means "we did it"? Did what? Attract posers to a small area of Phoenix? Oooh. Ahhh. That happens in every major city and suburb across the nation.

Go visit Chicago or Seattle or San Fran or NYC or Atlanta and tell me we've "made it" or "we did it". Granted, we are sloooooooooowly making strides, but we are so far behind other major cities in so many areas that its quite embarrassing. When friends and family visit me and say "take me around Phoenix", I rarely oblige, simply because there's not much to show. For as large as we are, we lack too much.
You sure seem to have a long list of people and behaviors that you don't like. You constantly badmouth both where you came from (unless, paradoxically, you're bragging about it) and where you are now. Sorry you're so unhappy.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:53 PM

656 posts, read 815,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Well I've lived in Roosevelt for 3 years and at the end of September I'm moving out of downtown. The area has become another mill ave, minus as much to do. They are bulldozing the old and building new high rise apartments everywhere who's main demographic appears to be college kids. I have loved living in Roosevelt and I'm going to miss what it was, but I'm not enjoying what it's become. I like Tempe but there is a reason I don't live there and now that reason has hit downtown Phoenix. Swarms of college bro's and drunk off their a** 21 year old girls have taken over. I'm all for development and making downtown better, I just think my idea of better differs from the movers and shakers. Farewell downtown, we had some good times.

I sympathize with you, but where specifically can these drunk 21 year old girls be found?

Old 09-09-2016, 02:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Well I've lived in Roosevelt for 3 years and at the end of September I'm moving out of downtown. The area has become another mill ave, minus as much to do. They are bulldozing the old and building new high rise apartments everywhere who's main demographic appears to be college kids.
Those apartments under construction are mainly 5 to 10 stories, which are hardly highrises. A city this size should be building apartment & condo towers at least 40, 50, and 60 stories in & around the downtown area. I couldn't begin to imagine how much complaining you'd be doing if REAL highrises were under construction in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Unfortunately, I tend to agree that we are lacking for the size of the city, but improvements are being attempted. The real embarrassing part is how so many stupid NIMBYs around here protest any kind of progress, such as taller buildings, stadiums, theme parks, aquariums, and other things which actually would help define us more as a true city. Instead, the same NIMBYs want practically everything to be low rise, low density, and lacking in amenities. I always wonder why they even live in a large city if they're going to be opposed to those things. The ones who whine about Phoenix becoming more citified should pack up & move, and take their hick town ways with them!

Old 09-09-2016, 03:46 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You sure seem to have a long list of people and behaviors that you don't like. You constantly badmouth both where you came from (unless, paradoxically, you're bragging about it) and where you are now. Sorry you're so unhappy.
First off, who doesnt have a list of likes and dislikes about particular places they've lived? Hmmm? Im willing to bet everyone does. Are you exempt? Stay off my back, old man. You know nothing about me other than what we talk about on C-D. But, uh, hey! Thanks for assuming!

Old 09-09-2016, 04:44 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,548,408 times
Somehow I don't think a downtown that the primary residents, are college students is the way to go. A downtown with a mixed population and businesses makes more sense. Otherwise it becoms an unwelcoming area, to live and do business in for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area