Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 AM

61 posts, read 46,255 times

Advertisements

Locolife, I agree 100% it's way cooler without a bag on your back. But I can carry close to 100lb in my bag (week of groceries) whereas I wouldn't have the volume to carry that much in a basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:14 AM

772 posts, read 843,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
Tempeaznative, what are you talking about?? The Fry's is going to be located literally 1 blocks east of central and Washington. It's virtually the same location. I do agree it is not for the downtown student population. The grocery store is for the professionals living in and near downtown, which most of the housing stock of that type is on the south and east portions of downtown.
Sorry I meant it was going to be located at Central and Van Buren where the transit center is located. the Fry's is being built at 1st St and Jefferson across the street from Talking Stick so if people have an issue going to the Safeway this really isn't any closure since it's further out from the majority of downtown residents. Especially all the new developement on Roosevelt and ASU housing. This would of been better served if it was centrally located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Does Frys know it's building a store only for the eastern portion of our small downtown for only the limited number of professionals within that small portion?
Good question I do think it's a little to far away from the main population base of downtown. Putting it in the arena and business district with a low population base may have the adverse effect. I'm sure the residents @ Palamoar will be happy since it will be across the street.

Last edited by TempeAZnative; 09-13-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 AM

189 posts, read 232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Anyone get to the Ale Trail yesterday? That was an awesome event and proof that downtown is hardly dead. Before you start with the, "it was only drunk college kids and obnoxious hipsters", I talked to people from all walks of life and age groups. The area from CityScape up to Roosevelt is really coming to life. Best discovery of the day - Grand Central Coffee. Really cool place.
If you liked the Urban Ale Trail, I recommend the Urban Wine Walk held during Spring (May). I always go to both events but the Wine Walk always tends to be more popular with more bodies downtown. But I agree, I made it out to Grand Central Coffee Co. as well, amazing place!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 46,255 times
There's many Many more places to live near the proposed location than just the cityscape. 44 Monroe, Renaissance park, copper summit, Jackson and central, plus all of the houses between Roosevelt and Washington st.

It's becoming very obvious how unfamiliar you are with downtown. And no commuting here to work does not count as knowing downtown.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
If you liked the Urban Ale Trail, I recommend the Urban Wine Walk held during Spring (May). I always go to both events but the Wine Walk always tends to be more popular with more bodies downtown. But I agree, I made it out to Grand Central Coffee Co. as well, amazing place!
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
There's many Many more places to live near the proposed location than just the cityscape. 44 Monroe, Renaissance park, copper summit, Jackson and central, plus all of the houses between Roosevelt and Washington st.

It's becoming very obvious how unfamiliar you are with downtown. And no commuting here to work does not count as knowing downtown.

It does if you spend a lot of time downtown outside of working hours, and pay attention to what's going on in the area.

I had a thought this morning about this as I was coming into downtown. Once that Fry's goes in (if not before), Valley Metro might be inclined to reinstate the downtown loop of the DASH which they discontinued years ago, before all the residential development downtown (including ASU) ever happened.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:34 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,463,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Sorry I meant it was going to be located at Central and Van Buren where the transit center is located. the Fry's is being built at 1st St and Jefferson across the street from Talking Stick so if people have an issue going to the Safeway this really isn't any closure since it's further out from the majority of downtown residents. Especially all the new developement on Roosevelt and ASU housing. This would of been better served if it was centrally located.

Good question I do think it's a little to far away from the main population base of downtown. Putting it in the arena and business district with a low population base may have the adverse effect. I'm sure the residents @ Palamoar will be happy since it will be across the street.
I think it's good for all downtown because it's right off the lightrail. So everyone that has easy access to the lightrail has easy access to that store.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:46 AM

189 posts, read 232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I had a thought this morning about this as I was coming into downtown. Once that Fry's goes in (if not before), Valley Metro might be inclined to reinstate the downtown loop of the DASH which they discontinued years ago, before all the residential development downtown (including ASU) ever happened.
THIS.

So I think we're overlooking one critical factor and that's the future growth of the urban core. Sure the current location might not be "centralized" relative to the where most downtown residents currently live, but what about in 5-10 years? I think it's safe to assume with the light rail heading down Central, the southern edge of downtown will become incredibly dense. By the time the grocery is up and running around 2018, hopefully more residential projects will be announced. At this point, the grocery store should be central and convenient to where most residents are/will be living.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,918,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Somehow I don't think a downtown that the primary residents, are college students is the way to go. A downtown with a mixed population and businesses makes more sense. Otherwise it becoms an unwelcoming area, to live and do business in for many.
this is my point. I love dense urban areas but do not want to live on a college campus. and I have zero problems with young urban hipsters. I just don't want a downtown where the median age is 20.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,918,873 times
Goodbye ro-row, hello bro-row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area