Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 42,607 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot of information on KB Homes. Some good and some bad....the home we have bought is a KB Home in Gilbert. Can anyone out there tell me whats going on with KB? Is it a good company? Many KB Homes in the Phoenix area? Does anyone currently own KB? Should I stay away? Any information would be great. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You already bought. Is it not too late? I doubt you can back out now. You read lots on KB and some good and some bad. I wonder how far you had to look to find some good? Were you just exaggerating when you said you found some good?

Here is the deal. Im in the business and deal with most all the builders. A house is a house is a house. I dont care what house you buy, Bill Pulte did not build your home. Larry Ellison of Woodside homes did not build your home. Every builder uses the same sub contractors. THEY (the subs) built your house.

You see all the builders use Efficent Electric, KBI Framers, ABC Plumbing etc. No one from KB Home offices ever seen your home let alone saw to it quality standards were met. Quality standards are usually left up to the Supers at each job site. They leave much to be desired too, especially KB Supers who tend to hire newby rookies who are just looking for some experience to move on.

The one main difference in any home is the warrenty. Pulte rules in that dept. JD Powers Assc rates them #1 for I think the past 10 years. They will fall this year too due to cost cutting.

Your KB home is one thing. KB offers lots of square footage for the money. It is all no frills square footage. Good? Bad? It's up to you. You can get more house for your money and just replace many of the cheap things they put in like the $2 light fixtures or the 99 cent door knobs that break after you move in. What I mean is you are buying a good sized house and you can customize it yourself. Also keep in mind KB communities do not go up in value compared to other communities like Pulte which always seem to turn to gold.

Also know that KB has a very bad reputation for quality. Whether it is true or not is besides the point. The fact of the matter is people hear KB and run from their Realtor in so many cases.

In closing I would not be too afraid. Get what you can from the builder. You are in charge. Buyers are very very rare these days and they should bend over backwards for you.

Good luck !!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 PM

7 posts, read 42,607 times
We are in the 10 day window to pull out. I should have stated that.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 AM

267 posts, read 885,065 times
My friends husband used to do construction. He worked on a KB site and said it was horrible how cheap the materials they used were. When him and his wife went to buy a new home last year KB was NOT on their list, and they warned me and my husband to stay away.

Other than that account I have no idea. I heard their yards are small as well, but that may just be hearsay.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ducky Boys View Post
I have been reading a lot of information on KB Homes. Some good and some bad....the home we have bought is a KB Home in Gilbert. Can anyone out there tell me whats going on with KB? Is it a good company? Many KB Homes in the Phoenix area? Does anyone currently own KB? Should I stay away? Any information would be great. Thanks!
In April we will have been in our KB eight years. They are basic homes to begin with but allow you to pick and choose your upgrades on every aspect of the home including ceiling height. We liked that. It allowed us to really make it "our" home. We've bought and lived in new homes in the valley since 1979. A couple of Knoells (now Shea), Fulton and KB. The quality has been going downhill ever since the builders have switched to unskilled labor, but our KB is far superior to the Fulton.

Everybody has small lots now. With few exceptions, you'll have to buy a resale from the mid 1980s or before to get a decent sized lot. Here's my previous posts about KB vs. Fulton.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2338313-post16.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/2334259-post2.html

Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,694 times
A KBHome Sucks KB Home, KB Homes Complete story on "A KB Home Sucks", the site has pictures, audio, video and links to others KB Home sucking experience. Also look up the article in the Wall Street Journal who's peoples homes are cracking in half. I have a blog A KB Home Sucks and noticed in my server logs that KB Home Gilbert has been visiting us and looked at a lot of pages.
LemonMeister

Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 PM

157 posts, read 422,006 times
It all depends what subcontractors they used for that specific community.
As some one said Pulte has been number #1 for 10 years in a row but go check out WestWing community in Peoria, more than half of the homes have been taken apart because of the work subcontractors did on those homes.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
I am sure the OP figured it out by now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area