Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM

94 posts, read 119,947 times

Advertisements

definitely north Glendale. you can take Grand Ave right into Phx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:48 AM

586 posts, read 542,793 times
My 85 K car, I'll even deliver it for that price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I have 50K - what car should I buy

Old 10-01-2016, 02:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
This is a huge generalization, but to put it into simple terms: For $200k in the Metro Phoenix area you can either afford a nice home in a crappy area or a crappy home in a nice area. If you want a nice home in a nice area expect to spend at least $400k.

Edit - Unless you want to live in the boonies like Maricopa or San Tan Valley or something like that. But that's not even the valley anymore.
Lol, wow. The median home price in Phoenix was just a tic over $200k, last time I checked.. Nice to know that probably at least 80% of the homebuyers in Phoenix live in "crappy homes or crappy neighborhoods"..

"Let them eat cake, and live in their crappy houses!".

Old 10-01-2016, 03:56 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Lol, wow. The median home price in Phoenix was just a tic over $200k, last time I checked.. Nice to know that probably at least 80% of the homebuyers in Phoenix live in "crappy homes or crappy neighborhoods"..

"Let them eat cake, and live in their crappy houses!".
Hey I'm offended!! I live in a NICE house!! Oh wait, I live in the hood too, so yeah, I'm not offended anymore, carry on sir. ;-) haha

Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Hey I'm offended!! I live in a NICE house!! Oh wait, I live in the hood too, so yeah, I'm not offended anymore, carry on sir. ;-) haha
I honestly don't believe I live "in the hood" - I do live in the city of Phoenix, which certainly has some challenges, but crime & city services aren't any more of a problem here than they were when I lived in North Scottsdale or in Chandler, or frankly, in Oak Park MI. The streetlight by my house burns out every couple of years, I fill out the web-form, and it's fixed a few days later. I call the cops, they come in a few hours. , the trash gets picked up, the sewer works & I can get to downtown for my bi-annual jury-duty in 30 minutes or less, unless I need a McMuffin.

I suppose North Scottsdale might be "better" if you get warm fuzzies from seeing a cop on every corner (along with a red-light/speed camera), but it gives me the opposite vibe. Certainly not anything I'd be willing to pay extra for.

In any case, the o.p. didnt give us any idea of sq footage requirements - I just sold a fully-rehabbed 1100~ish sq ft place a few blocks from my primary residence for a little over $200k, with lots of cheaper comps out there - my tenants never complained about the hood & the house was at least as "nice" as any new-build - "small" by Phoenix standards, but not "crappy" or in what I'd consider a "crappy" neighborhood.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:44 AM

94 posts, read 119,947 times
I live in a good house in a rough neighborhood in Phx. Junkies in the alleys and such. Phoenix does have some bad neighborhoods but north Glendale does not have the same problems (not even close). Take a good look at north Glendale, anything north of Dunlap/Olive. Also Glendale is a pretty well run city (better leadership than the middle class cities and wealthy cities on the east side).

Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM

346 posts, read 550,608 times
I live in the nicest area in Surprise - Marley Park, a beautiful master planned community with a community pool, 15 parks, etc. - and there are smaller 3 bed/2 bath homes available here under $200,000 so I know that price point is doable in Surprise. (I just looked and there are more than 150 3/2 homes listed in Surprise below $200,000.) There are tons of great restaurants and shopping in town (and a million more choices within a 15-20 minute drive), great medical close by, a terrific library system, tons of recreational facilities (an aquatic center, world class tennis & racquet facility, etc.), it's one of the safest cities in Arizona and the people here are amazingly nice.

My husband and I both work from home and we are so glad we chose Surprise!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,082,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
north Glendale / Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
85012, 85014, 85016.....the better half of north central....older homes on bigger lots on better soil than all the exurbs. Surprise sucks, and you couild do better than casa grand with a dartboard. Any place where they can easily build new subdivisions will not pay off very well...in fact Some of the better investments will be places that could even be worth more with the house not on them...infill in convernient locations.
Yeah these two.
North of Northern, Anything east of the SR51 is probably not in your budget. North phoenix, north Glendale or Peoria. Get a mile or two at least away from the highways, don't live off any major street, and if you won't use the light rail, you don't want to be near it.

Get near a school, get near a park, find out if you want an HOA, if you want to be near anything, if you want a pool, want to be mowing grass at 6 in the morning when its 90 degrees out.

We could probably give you much better ideas if you went into more detail. There are plenty of threads if you get a better idea of what you want.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM

720 posts, read 736,494 times
Plenty of choices - definition of nice neighborhood is different for everyone - OBVIOUSLY with these postings!! You can buy a new build home with $200k -

Old 10-05-2016, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,465 times
On the East side you can get homes in Mesa..... Queen Creek and Maricopa are about 25 miles, San Tan Valley about 30 miles

You may be closer in Peoria, Goodyear, Avondale, Laveen but traffic will make your commute just as long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area