Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Speaking of downtown Mesa, there is also a show repair shop on MacDonald that I have used multiple times. Not necessarily something that draws you to a downtown, but it is a service you just don't see much anymore and don't think of until you need it. The guy does good work and gets it done quickly for a good price.

Random, but might be helpful!

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-03-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I can't comment about those specific zip codes, but I can offer some opinion about Downtown Mesa. Mesa's downtown is quite small. It seems more appropriate for a city of 50,000 than 500,000. It's that way for two reasons: 1) Mesa grew so fast that suburban development greatly outpaced development of a traditional city core. 2) Mesa is near Phoenix, which is three times larger and both the state capital and county seat. If you want a big city experience, you'll probably head to Phoenix.

Downtown Mesa can be a charming place, especially if you have young children. Downtown Mesa is home to both the i.d.e.a Museum and the Arizona Museum of Natural History, as well as the Mesa Arts Center. Those are all good daytime destinations, but Downtown Mesa is still quite sleepy after dark unless there's a special event going on. I've never felt unsafe in Downtown Mesa. I'd exercise more caution around some of the half-empty strip malls elsewhere in the city.
Mesa is just way behind other east valley suburbs. Tempe has construction all over the place, Gilbert has the best social indicators of any city of it's size in the country and Chandler has a very large amount of large business.

Very few people are going to choose Mesa which is one of the worst suburbs in the west in my opinion, over suburbs that are some of the best of the best like Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale.

Mesa on the other hand other then some nice areas with large lots is for the most part a run-down city with a huge influx of poverty. Much of it just as run-down as South and West Phoenix.

The only thing good I have to say about Mesa is that it is relatively safe for a city of 470,000 people. It seems to have a police department that does a good job considering how poor overall the city is.

Mesa is one of the few large cities in the country that has seen poverty increase since the recession. The westside of Mesa is basically a poverty-ridden area. Sure they have some new apartments but other then that it's outdated and run-down.

I also find Mesa to have some of the rudest people anywhere in the country. I certainly would never call it's adjacent suburbs like Chandler, Gilbert or Scottsdale rude.

The downtown though does certainly seem like a 50,000 person town if that, rather then a 500,000 person city.

It is also a very poorly-run city in my opinion. They brag about having no city property tax but it looks from the moment you cross the border into Mesa that it has no city property tax.

Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert which are some of the most nicest and well-run suburbs in the country border Mesa which is either run-down or bland-looking sprawl.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 10-03-2016 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 01:55 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgida View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses, very helpful. We are a younger family, 31, 34 and a 4 year old moving from San Diego. My husbands office will be in Mesa but mine will be on the west side/downtown/central part of Phoenix most likely. We like the east side of the valley and were just trying to figure out why Mesa gets such a bad name.
No matter where you end up living, if you have a four-year-old, make sure to visit Riverview Park in northwest Mesa. The climbing structures there are the best I've seen at any park in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

It is also a very poorly-run city in my opinion. They brag about having no city property tax but it looks from the moment you cross the border into Mesa that it has no city property tax.
The no property tax thing is usually a wash because of the exorbent fees it charges for water service.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Mesa is just way behind other east valley suburbs. Tempe has construction all over the place, Gilbert has the best social indicators of any city of it's size in the country and Chandler has a very large amount of large business.

Very few people are going to choose Mesa which is one of the worst suburbs in the west in my opinion, over suburbs that are some of the best of the best like Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale.

Mesa on the other hand other then some nice areas with large lots is for the most part a run-down city with a huge influx of poverty. Much of it just as run-down as South and West Phoenix.

The only thing good I have to say about Mesa is that it is relatively safe for a city of 470,000 people. It seems to have a police department that does a good job considering how poor overall the city is.

Mesa is one of the few large cities in the country that has seen poverty increase since the recession. The westside of Mesa is basically a poverty-ridden area that is falling apart. Sure they have some new apartments but other then that it's outdated and run-down.

I also find Mesa to have some of the rudest people anywhere in the country. I certainly would never call it's adjacent suburbs like Chandler, Gilbert or Scottsdale rude.

The downtown though does certainly seem like a 50,000 person town if that, rather then a 500,000 person city.

Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert which are some of the most nicest and well-run suburbs in the country border Mesa which is either run-down or bland-looking sprawl.
Note that one advantage Mesa has over Scottsdale and especially Chandler or Gilbert is the available mass transit options. Mesa has the third best transit network in the Valley behind Phoenix and Tempe.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:12 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
Quote:
Since I will most likely have to either drop off or pick up my son from preschool I wont be taking mass transit. My current commute is about an hour to work and home so commuting is not a problem. We will be out that way in a couple weeks to look at the different towns but based on what we have seen for real estate, Tempe isn't really our style.
Did you check out South Tempe (south of Guadalupe Rd?). It's very different than the north part and has much more in common with Chandler/Gilbert than north Tempe. Good schools, too, and it would be an easy commute for both you and your husband. Also, Ahwatukee (the neighborhood south of South Mountain in Phoenix) would be good to look into, as well as the west part of Chandler. All are in Kyrene schools and Tempe Union High School district, among the best in the state, plus they have good access to the rest of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe and the rest of the metro via the 101 and I-10.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Since I will most likely have to either drop off or pick up my son from preschool I wont be taking mass transit. My current commute is about an hour to work and home so commuting is not a problem. We will be out that way in a couple weeks to look at the different towns but based on what we have seen for real estate, Tempe isn't really our style.

Not sure what "your style" is, but you may not have looked at south Tempe, which to my mind is right up at the top in terms of places to live in the Valley, certainly in the east Valley. (and not just because I've lived there a long time) I understand you don't need mass transit, so that's not a selling point for you. Best of luck with your search, and welcome!

EDIT: - I didn't see ShampooBanana's post until after I posted, but we are on the same wavelength.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 31,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not sure what "your style" is, but you may not have looked at south Tempe, which to my mind is right up at the top in terms of places to live in the Valley, certainly in the east Valley. (and not just because I've lived there a long time) I understand you don't need mass transit, so that's not a selling point for you. Best of luck with your search, and welcome!

EDIT: - I didn't see ShampooBanana's post until after I posted, but we are on the same wavelength.
We like the house styles in Gilbert/Chandler/Mesa more than what we were seeing in Tempe. Tempe they seemed older and a lot only had carports. I don't remember what area in Tempe those were but I will check on South Tempe, thank you.

If I end up having to work in downtown/camelback/Scottsdale area do you think my commute would be anymore than an hour each way? Obvi this will change on a day to day depending on how well people decide to drive.

Also out here on some freeways the HOV lanes can also be used by drivers who pay a fee with a transponder to use them. Does Phoenix have anything like that?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:14 PM

251 posts, read 311,807 times
I sure enjoy Mesa for spring training with the Cubs.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:25 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I'm not sure I could liken Mesa to any other city of it's size. It might be (or is at least close to) the biggest suburb in the country, so even though it's a city of some 450,000 people (more than Atlanta, St. Louis, or Miami propers, by the way
Mesa is 2nd largest suburb in the United States.
Long Beach, California is the largest suburb.
Arlington, Texas is #3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area