Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
you mean the morning where its 90+ by 9 am, and when the sunset is not till 8 something, so its 90 degrees until 9-10pm?
No I mean prior to or after monsoon moisture arrives and evenings will cool off 20-25 degrees down to the 70s, in June this happens, July-Sepember not so much. I'm also not referring to the airport temperature as reported on the news.... I'm talking where most of us live, further out from the center of the heat island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I have to agree with Ponderosa on this. While Payson is usually a welcome relief from the basin heat I hike up there and at times the relief is minimal. You can say the same thing about Sedona during the summer. I spoke with someone in one of the tourist offices in Sedona during a very warm day there and they told me it is usually a 3-5 degree difference between their weather and ours. The biggest CONSISTENT difference is the cool down in the evenings. Their evenings are beautiful while we are still dealing with triple digits.
Who ever told you that lied, I posted Payson temps for last summer and it's much more than 3-5 degrees as is Sedona. I realize Payson is not as cool as Flag, Show Low and other places on the rim but there we're a total of 5 days last July above 90 and the hottest was 91, that's a big 10-15 degree difference, not 3-5.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:11 AM

84 posts, read 105,712 times
12 degrees should be about right, Payson is 4890 feet in elevation whereas phoenix is around 1000-1200...
Let's say a difference of 3600 feet in elevation, that's about a 12-15 degree temp difference.

Temp lessons on average by 3-5 degrees per 1000 feet, 4 is a good number to use. Of course the shape of the mountains, common wind directions, and differences in cloudiness between two places also affect this, but it is a good general gauge.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
For anyone who has lived in both or spent a lot of time in both, which has worse summers Phoenix or Dallas and what makes the one you pick worse than the other? I know it can be a matter of preference and that both are a lot worse than average but between those two which do you think is worse?
Both suck: I don't know which is worse, but I think Dallas. Phoenix gets hotter, Dallas is more humid. I do think Dallas normally cools down a little more at night. We lived there for 13 years. As for Phoenix, we have family there so have visited many times in mid summer. As for monsoons, remember they certainly are not a daily thing.

those who mentioned the age of this thread: I am almost sure,, all of us, from time to time forget to check the date of the original posting.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I would never have thought to compare the two cities. Many of my fellow Canadians are in Texas and I just assumed the temps,were comparable.

Our winters are better though? I like to hear that!! Makes my investment look "wise"

So,what if the thread is old? I read every post so I guess I found it interesting. I figure if the thread is of no interest to you, don't read it!! Move on! PLEASE just dont revive any driving in the left lane threads
What? you didn't know Dallas gets nasty ice storms in the winter? Phoenix doesn't know what an ice storm is.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
just wanted to chime in a bit here;
still in Chicago, waiting for work to allow us to move, and our choices were/are Dallas or Phoenix, and we choose Phoenix

Yes, in Dallas you most likely still get some winter ice storms, and, even snow at times, neither of which ever happen in Phoenix, and after spending most of our lives dealing with winters in Chicago, when we move, we NEVER want to see either again, so that in itself is enough of a reason for us to choose Phoenix.

And, yes, after spending alot of time in both of those cities, I think generally in the Phoenix area, (around Stetson Valley where we plan to buy), outside of monsoon time, the night time temps/humidity levels, and the early morning temps/humidity levels will probably be more comfy, IMO

obviously, in either city, its tough from June-September, but we're rolling the dice and saying Phoenix all in all is less miserable, on 365 day basis.

we NEVER want to see ice and snow again once we leave Chicago, and that is pretty much a certainty in Phoenix, but NOT in Dallas

Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
^^^ wase, nice to hear things are rolling along for ya. Chicagoland is a great place to visit, as much or little as you want. I have relatives there and am hoping to visit this summer.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:17 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
just wanted to chime in a bit here;
still in Chicago, waiting for work to allow us to move, and our choices were/are Dallas or Phoenix, and we choose Phoenix

Yes, in Dallas you most likely still get some winter ice storms, and, even snow at times, neither of which ever happen in Phoenix, and after spending most of our lives dealing with winters in Chicago, when we move, we NEVER want to see either again, so that in itself is enough of a reason for us to choose Phoenix.

And, yes, after spending alot of time in both of those cities, I think generally in the Phoenix area, (around Stetson Valley where we plan to buy), outside of monsoon time, the night time temps/humidity levels, and the early morning temps/humidity levels will probably be more comfy, IMO

obviously, in either city, its tough from June-September, but we're rolling the dice and saying Phoenix all in all is less miserable, on 365 day basis.

we NEVER want to see ice and snow again once we leave Chicago, and that is pretty much a certainty in Phoenix, but NOT in Dallas
It can snow here in Phoenix, but it is rare. In fact, last New Years, several places in the Valley saw snow. I was up in North Scottsdale and had flurries coming down. Overall, PHX's winters are FAR better than Dallas', but its not as warm as one might think. If you want truly warm winters, your only bets are Hawaii and south Florida. Frost warnings occur here each year, so keep your ice scraper handy, you might need it if you dont have a carport or garage.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It can snow here in Phoenix, but it is rare. In fact, last New Years, several places in the Valley saw snow. I was up in North Scottsdale and had flurries coming down. Overall, PHX's winters are FAR better than Dallas', but its not as warm as one might think. If you want truly warm winters, your only bets are Hawaii and south Florida. Frost warnings occur here each year, so keep your ice scraper handy, you might need it if you dont have a carport or garage.
Big Cats is highlighting some very rare problems, in 15 years I've yet to use an ice scraper in Phoenix, perhaps that's because I don't life in the far distant suburbs of the valley or just sheer luck, but never once has to scrape ice or snow off of my car. It does however get cooler than most people think, 30s at night in the winter can be common but never prolonged.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Big Cats is highlighting some very rare problems, in 15 years I've yet to use an ice scraper in Phoenix, perhaps that's because I don't life in the far distant suburbs of the valley or just sheer luck, but never once has to scrape ice or snow off of my car. It does however get cooler than most people think, 30s at night in the winter can be common but never prolonged.
Im only in Scottsdale, and there has been several mornings Ive had to sit and wait for my car's defroster to work, because I didnt have an icescraper, and frost was thick on my windshield. I almost wish I woulda kept my ice scraper for those frigid mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area