Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I average about 6-8 mornings annually scraping ice off the windshield. Usually always in late December or January. A few more days of light ice added in the wipers will take care of. To me this seems like the norm unless you are probably in Central Phoenix. It is extremely common (in Gilbert anyways)
I'm in the middle of Tempe, guess it's a little warmer over here. No ice scraping in the last 2 winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Uhhhh, just last winter we had 4 consecutive nights where frost warnings were issued. Did you forget about that?
A frost warning rarely results in anything to scrape off my windshield, no I didn't forget about frost warnings for plants, but I also did not scrape my windows, not one single time in the last 3 winters.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Dang it, guys, Im tired of having to dig up weather records for all you people who all-too-easily forget about frost in the Valley. I mean, how do you NOT remember news casts telling people to cover up their flowers, or golf courses closed in the morning due to frost, or stepping outside and seeing your breath!?!

For all you non-believers and naysayers, here is weather data (which is easily found online, FYI) for Scottsdale, Dec and Jan of 2015. Note December 26, 27, 28, and 29 were right around freezing. Then January started off with 4 more consecutive days with nights at or below freezing. Research, people. Research.

Scroll down in each link for a nice, handy dandy calendar view with both high and low temps shown on their respective dates:

December 2015:
https://www.wunderground.com/history....html#calendar

January:
https://www.wunderground.com/history....html#calendar
BC- Do some research on frost and the difference between a hard freeze, easily removed with wipers in most cases, versus what you truly need to scrape off a window.

As I said, what you are explaining is extremely rare, doesn't even happen consistently across the valley as whole and it's not even the deep freeze that most people are thinking of when they ask about scraping windows. I have no idea why you're so determined to make an issue out of nothing, scraping windows in Phoenix is rarely something you have to think of or deal with. It's once in a rare while, if you happen to live in the right area for it to happen.

THE FORECASTING OF FROST

Frost and frozen dew can delay people in the morning if it covers their car. Some frosts or frozen dews are much easier to scrape off the car than others. When the temperature is near freezing (29 to 32 F), the ice is fairly easy to scrap off the car windows. It is also quicker to warm up the car windows to above freezing with the defroster when temperatures are near freezing. The bonding of ice crystals is weaker in warm ice than in cold ice. Once temperatures drop into the mid-20's and below, the ice becomes more difficult to remove

Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,478,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'm in the middle of Tempe, guess it's a little warmer over here. No ice scraping in the last 2 winters.
That's crazy. I found myself scraping ice off my car at least 8 or so times a year in the morning.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,978,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I average about 6-8 mornings annually scraping ice off the windshield. Usually always in late December or January. A few more days of light ice added in the wipers will take care of. To me this seems like the norm unless you are probably in Central Phoenix. It is extremely common (in Gilbert anyways)
Thank you. Someone who actually tells it like it is.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
BC- Do some research on frost and the difference between a hard freeze, easily removed with wipers in most cases, versus what you truly need to scrape off a window.
Ive had to sit there many mornings with my defroster on high (which takes forever for the engine to heat up when there are sub-freezing temps) just to cut through the frost because my wipers and washer fluid wouldnt do the job.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
That's crazy. I found myself scraping ice off my car at least 8 or so times a year in the morning.
Same here. I could use an ice scraper minimum of 2-3 times a winter on average, with several winters many more times.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Same here. I could use an ice scraper minimum of 2-3 times a winter on average, with several winters many more times.
When I lived in a cold city I scraped my car 2-3x a day, not sure how even this level of scraping is relevant anyways. But okay, you might have a scrape a car 2-3x a year if you live in an area cold enough to get frost on your windows and don't park in a carport or garage, which is probably most of the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area