Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,094,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
The ageism issue in the tech industry is not so much about actual age, it's more about out-of-date tech skills. The thinking goes that older tech workers haven't kept up with the changes in tech; that they've just done their jobs using the skill set(s) they were initially hired with and have gotten comfortable, and they haven't taken the initiative to keep up with the industry, the new skills, languages, etc.

And, at the places where it IS purely about age... I wouldn't want to work there, anyway. Who wants to work around a bunch of obnoxious, discriminatory jerks and the people who enable them? Silence is agreement.
Agree 100%. Whatever the OP can do to highlight more recent skill development will go a long way towards improving his chances in landing something in his desired field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
I don't know the job outlook for the Phoenix metro area. I do know that my four sisters and a brother are all working as well as their SO's are all working.

Not sure what the BS is in but maybe if nothing is happening in Phoenix consider somewhere else?

My thoughts and you can take them for what they are worth.

1. Put a game plan together on the top 10 companies that you want to work for. Learn all you can about those top companies. Apply and let them know you are here and ready to work.

2. Call them back and find out how many contacts at the company you can get. Try LinkedIn for that. Make contacts with the company thru any other sources, including vendors that they may be using.

3. Understand the problems that the company has and come up with solutions. You will have to research the heck out of the company. Sometimes just letting someone know you have some ideas on a problem that the company is facing can help you get an interview.

4. You want a solid resume that reflects the needs of the company you are looking at. I would not use the same resume for another company. It is too easy to tweak the wording to fit another company.

5. Your resume should send contacts to your LinkedIn account, other social media sites that will help, maybe a blog that you have related to you and the industry. Your own website.

6. Look the part. If everyone at the company is wearing a tie, is clean shaven, Short hair for men, no visible tatts, does not smell like an ashtray, then chances are you want to get as close to that as possible. I know it sucks that we have to bow down to conformity but that is the world we live in.

7. Attitude matters. Have a positive one. Showcase your talents. You don't know everything but you do know something. Hopefully what you do know is what they need.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,171,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't know the job outlook for the Phoenix metro area. I do know that my four sisters and a brother are all working as well as their SO's are all working.

Not sure what the BS is in but maybe if nothing is happening in Phoenix consider somewhere else?

My thoughts and you can take them for what they are worth.

1. Put a game plan together on the top 10 companies that you want to work for. Learn all you can about those top companies. Apply and let them know you are here and ready to work.

2. Call them back and find out how many contacts at the company you can get. Try LinkedIn for that. Make contacts with the company thru any other sources, including vendors that they may be using.

3. Understand the problems that the company has and come up with solutions. You will have to research the heck out of the company. Sometimes just letting someone know you have some ideas on a problem that the company is facing can help you get an interview.

4. You want a solid resume that reflects the needs of the company you are looking at. I would not use the same resume for another company. It is too easy to tweak the wording to fit another company.

5. Your resume should send contacts to your LinkedIn account, other social media sites that will help, maybe a blog that you have related to you and the industry. Your own website.

6. Look the part. If everyone at the company is wearing a tie, is clean shaven, Short hair for men, no visible tatts, does not smell like an ashtray, then chances are you want to get as close to that as possible. I know it sucks that we have to bow down to conformity but that is the world we live in.

7. Attitude matters. Have a positive one. Showcase your talents. You don't know everything but you do know something. Hopefully what you do know is what they need.
Exellent plan from experienced HR manager.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:54 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
OP, are you customizing your resume for every job you apply to? If you aren't, start. Read the ad, see what the keywords are in what the company is looking for, and be sure you address those skills in your cover letter (briefly) and in your resume (in more detail). It gets easier to do the more you do it. Researching to company and mentioning a few key points in the cover letter also doesn't hurt.

If you aren't already using it, learn the basics (at least) of LinkedIn and use the site. It's a gold mine for jobs once you know what you're looking for. Make sure your LinkedIn profile is updated and current.

If you have most of the required skills, but not all, don't let that stop you. Admit it in the cover letter if it's a big requirement, then show what you've used/done that is similar. Example, I've downloaded the free trials of software packages I didn't know, and in my cover letter mentioned that I have not used it but based on the trial (or in researching the software, if no trial is available). it appears similar to [insert similar software you ARE familiar with] and that I'm always open to learning new software. It's worked for me several times. Worst case, it shows you have initiative and curiosity, always good attributes to highlight.

A minor suggestion - use a professional sounding email if you aren't already. John_Jones@gmail.com looks a lot better than ubergamerboy@gamestop.com. I know, petty point, but you'd be surprised at how many hiring people glance at your email and don't get past the subconscious image it might create (and don't even realize they did that).

Old 10-26-2016, 09:45 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,428,782 times
I'm adding to the OP's thread and I hope he updates us.

This thread has been helpful for me, because I plan to relocate to Phoenix from an Asian country.

My job will be outsourced and this job does not exist in the US.

I will blend my previous sales and educational industry experience into a sales jobs of some sort and also do research on the "for profit schools" in Phoenix, which there seem to be a lot of.

I'm mid 40s, but people say I look late thirties, current and past reference letters and contact info for references (but they are all outside of the US).

BA
clean police clearance
Fico is 811
no debt

I hope that if I plan carefully (I visited Phoenix last month for a week) I can find something.

If you the U3 unemployment rate is at 5% (or less) I should be able to find a job.

Returning to the US after years abroad is stressful for me (although perhaps it should not be)?

My parents are in Tucson during the Winter so that's why I will try Phoenix.

Another option for me is Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area