Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 AM

435 posts, read 1,576,906 times

Advertisements

In all seriousness, I understand those who aren't fans of snow, esp. if you're from the east coast or midwest, you aren't a winter sports enthusiast and aren't familiar with snow as anything other than a nuisance. True, snow is a pain in the rear to drive in; but I think that winters here in the mountains are much more enjoyable & pleasant, regardless of the snow, than they are back east. Many transplanted midwesterners agree- read here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...r-winters.html

I think the point here is that there's a difference between an ambient outside temp. that's comfortable to just leisurely be in, versus that which is comfortable to be active in. I remember winters when I was a kid growing up in MI, we'd just put on warm clothes, go out & play hockey, have snowball fights, build snow forts, etc. It was a rare thing to have to stay inside at any time of year b/c the weather was just too uncomfortable to play in. No one I knew ever was seriously injured from the snow or got frostbite as a result. Bottom line, there was never an extended period of time when I felt my activities were restricted, or was forced by the weather to remain indoors for the sake of my own comfort for months on end. I never experienced that before I lived in Phoenix. And let me tell you, I did not like that at all.

Last edited by steve22; 03-03-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,366,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I think the difference here is that there's a difference between an ambient outside temp. that's comfortable to just leisurely be in, versus that which is comfortable to be active in. I remember winters when I was a kid growing up in MI, we'd just put on warm clothes, go out & play hockey, have snowball fights, build snow forts, etc. No one I knew ever was seriously injured from the snow or got frostbite as a result. Bottom line, there was never an extended period of time when I felt my activities were restricted, or was forced by the weather to remain indoors for the sake of my own comfort for months on end. I never experienced that before I lived in Phoenix. And let me tell you, I did not like that at all.
I get what you are saying and agree with some of it. As I kid I spend some winters in both Michigan and North Dakota and I remember playing outside a lot even in the winter in Michigan - not so much in North Dakota, but I was an older teenager by then. As a middle-aged adult however, the cold bothers me a LOT more than the heat does.

Until a couple of years ago I never even considered the SW for retirement because I always assumed it would be too hot for us. After housesitting a place in Las Vegas near the end of the summer we found that we actually did OK in the heat so we began in investigate possible retirement in the SW - eventually settling on an area not nearly as hot as Phoenix and Las Vegas however.

I did find it interesting though that although we were out and about in the heat of the day during our LV housesitting stint, it seemed to us that virtually everyone around us lived like they were hold up in a cave or something. You never saw ANYONE outside in our neighborhood (it was REALLY wierd) - so your story about people (amny of them anyway) feeling they need to remain indoors rings pretty true.

As I said, though - we should have that problem at all since the temps near our land are much milder (average summer highs in the upper 80's and low 90s).

Ken

Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Im glad someone finally said it. At least in all that snow, people can get out and run around, sled or ski. Plus, whats better than snow and football games -
YouTube - Snow Scene at Packer Seahawk Game
Seriously, what an unbelievable atmosphere. You cant tell me you can find those kind of fans at an Arizona Cardinals game
The Crudinals have fans?? LOL

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,722,207 times
Quote:
IIt was a rare thing to have to stay inside at any time of year b/c the weather was just too uncomfortable to play in. No one I knew ever was seriously injured from the snow or got frostbite as a result. Bottom line, there was never an extended period of time when I felt my activities were restricted, or was forced by the weather to remain indoors for the sake of my own comfort for months on end. I never experienced that before I lived in Phoenix. And let me tell you, I did not like that at all.
I understand what you are saying, since I live in Chicago, however, I do remember past Winters and this one included, where my travel was restricted due to the cold and snow. Public transportation becomes minimal, buses show up five at a time or none at all, and just the thought of having to walk home a mile or two with groceries in the cold and snow is unpleasant. If my car isn't garage kept, the possibility of being covered by an aggressive snow plow on the street or the engine not turning over to start on a cold winter's morning are just as limiting and irritating. Not to mention the salt eating away at my car's body so I can only keep it around for no more than a few years before rust and holes start to show up.

I know that Chicago's cold and Phoenix's hot are two different extremes, but they both have their plusses and minuses.

Last edited by ITChick; 03-03-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,331,863 times
Quote:
In all seriousness, I understand those who aren't fans of snow, esp. if you're from the east coast or midwest, you aren't a winter sports enthusiast and aren't familiar with snow as anything other than a nuisance. True, snow is a pain in the rear to drive in; but I think that winters here in the mountains are much more enjoyable & pleasant, regardless of the snow, than they are back east. Many transplanted midwesterners agree- read here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...r-winters.html
Steve22, I agree with you that snow can be wonderful, but keep in mind you are living in Durango, CO, an outdoors paradise, not Denver, CO. When you're talking about how you go skiing at Telluride all the time, that's great that you are fortunate enough to live in a place where you can do that and have the time and money. Most people have to live in major metropolitan areas to make a living and afford housing, and living in Denver and trying to go skiing every weekend, driving up I-70 is a major pain in the ***, let alone too expensive for most people. I love Durango, too, and I think it would be awesome to live there. Actually, my lottery residence would be Santa Fe, NM, but point is, I don't have the luxury of being able to live in either of those places. You are living in paradise, but I sense that you're trying to rub it in our faces.

Quote:
I think the point here is that there's a difference between an ambient outside temp. that's comfortable tto just leisurely be in, versus that which is comfortable to be active in. I remember winters when I was a kid growing up in MI, we'd just put on warm clothes, go out & play hockey, have snowball fights, build snow forts, etc. It was a rare thing to have to stay inside at any time of year b/c the weather was just too uncomfortable to play in. No one I knew ever was seriously injured from the snow or got frostbite as a result. Bottom line, there was never an extended period of time when I felt my activities were restricted, or was forced by the weather to remain indoors for the sake of my own comfort for months on end. I never experienced that before I lived in Phoenix. And let me tell you, I did not like that at all.
I totally agree with you on this part!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Steve22, I agree with you that snow can be wonderful, but keep in mind you are living in Durango, CO, an outdoors paradise, not Denver, CO. When you're talking about how you go skiing at Telluride all the time, that's great that you are fortunate enough to live in a place where you can do that and have the time and money. Most people have to live in major metropolitan areas to make a living and afford housing, and living in Denver and trying to go skiing every weekend, driving up I-70 is a major pain in the ***, let alone too expensive for most people. I love Durango, too, and I think it would be awesome to live there. Actually, my lottery residence would be Santa Fe, NM, but point is, I don't have the luxury of being able to live in either of those places. You are living in paradise, but I sense that you're trying to rub it in our faces.
No, not at all! I'm not trying to rub anything in anyone's face; merely, I'm posting in defense of snow. People here just knock it so much b/c of the negative consequences, and I happen to love it for its positives. I'm saying that it can be fun, depending on what you're into or where you live- and not strictly an annoyance.

I do feel lucky to be where I am, although I will tell you that the cost of living here sort of negates some of the best qualities of it. Durango has problems, too, most of them stemming from lack of decent employment and/or affordable housing, as you've alluded to. If you can find a position which will pay you a high-middle class income, then it's great; on the other hand, those opportunities are scarce here, and for many the quality of life suffers as a result. It's not unlike Flagstaff in that regard. I'm lucky in that b/c of what I do, I generally have some freedom to choose where I live, within reason. But I will freely admit that I'm sacrificing some serious income potential by choosing to live here. There's no doubt that I could make a better living doing what I do in a larger city, but I'm willing to sacrifice that in favor of the upsides of the lifestyle I can have here. It's just a personal preference, and not everyone would make that choice. Also, I will tell you that b/c Durango so touristy, often it feels more like a destination here than a real town. Sometimes, it's hard to feel a genuine sense of community although the city itself looks charming on the outside. I think you'll likely find that to also be true in Santa Fe, if you end up there someday.

I hear what you're saying about Denver, I used to live there, too. The 70 can be an absolute nightmare on the weekends, for sure. And I'm recalling what it was like 5 years ago- I'm sure it's only worsened since. I don't miss that at all. On the other hand, if you can go into the mountains during off-peak times, it's not so bad. The one thing I do miss about the skiing in Denver was the variety. Here, you're really restricted to a handful of places within reasonable proximity. From Denver, there are just so many more choices.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM

401 posts, read 2,606,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Theres a place called Colorado for you. You would love it there.
I wasnt necessarily saying that I enjoy skiing or snowboarding. Id much rather spend a few hours in the gym playing basketball . But as for Colorado, I really would like to visit sometime. But after college, I think Chicago is the place for me , or maybe Atlanta but I dont think so

Last edited by scottie; 03-03-2008 at 10:45 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM

18 posts, read 70,372 times
Rolling on the floor here! We only get to about 105 in the summer in Chico, CA but I can relate! I tried to live in the snow onetime, I could write a story on that, it's all in what you are used to or can get used too I guess...thanks for the laughs.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 AM

24 posts, read 72,872 times
Snow!!! Great to visit or live in it if you don't have to go to work!!! but for us of those who do??? I have already had 2 cars get totaled because of "snowy" conditions...last one being last January when a Hwy Salt Truck rammed into my car & I wound up in the Hospital!! I am done!!! Unless I am on a ski vacation...rather be in the land of sunshine than this!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM

24 posts, read 72,872 times
Steve22...I live in the "mountains" of NY..about 1-1/2hrs north of NYC...and when my son was little, the snow was great...I would put my fireplace on, and look out thru my huge windows to watch the kids & dogs playing in the snow...sometimes I would join in!! And we have Vermont & Hunter Mountain & Lake Placid to go to when we ski enthusiasts want to hit the slopes!!!...But for the every day to day living....snow in the car driven streets do not stay white for long....cars swerve all over, and God forbid you don't show up to work!!! Nah...rather visit it from now on then live with it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area