Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:21 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Why would it have to cut through the heart of Old Town? If a line went along Rural/Scottsdale, just north of Thomas there is a split to Drinkwater (east) and Goldwater (west) and both merge back into Scottsdale Road. A Drinkwater alignment is much more logical because not only does it provide access to the retail, restaurants and nightlife, but also there are many offices around there, which would still make light rail a viable commuting option for those workers as well as allowing tourists to use the system to visit the area. This bypasses whatever look Scottsdale is trying to preserve (because parking garages and office buildings were staples to frontier towns in the late 19th century, after all) while still serving the area.

I think Camelback needs some relief too, and I think it's plausible to have a Rural/Scottsdale/Drinkwater alignment that shifts to Camelback and reconnects with the starter line at 7th Avenue. This route (assuming no further expansion in Phoenix) would connect 19th and 7th Avenues (and I've intentionally left out Central because of that stop's location and the engineering hassle it would need, save for expanding the station itself) and all of Camelback up to Scottsdale Road, then south along Scottsdale-Drinkwater-Scottsdale-Rural to at least University Drive, which like Central would require a station expansion, and likely beyond, to at least Broadway.
That would be possible, but I'm basing on the fact that Scottsdale is opposed to light rail, at least as of now. This could change in the future if it's proven that additional light rail lines get the necessary patrons, or exceed expectations as the original route has done. Rail is very costly, and there has to be a demand for it in order to be successful. This is why I believe Scottsdale's opposition is more economic than anything else.

The priority should be to extend light rail from Central & Washington to the Capitol, and then possibly to the west Valley. I understand that the I10 median (which is currently a vacant eyesore) is slated for light rail sometime in the next decade or so. This stretch would be better used for extra traffic lanes, which would be more productive, efficient, and less costly ... however, I guess there is a demand for light rail to expand to the west Valley.

I hope that Tempe and Chandler can somehow work together on changing the name of Rural Road to something better. Rural Road is anything but rural ... however, that's another topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 03:48 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That would be possible, but I'm basing on the fact that Scottsdale is opposed to light rail, at least as of now. This could change in the future if it's proven that additional light rail lines get the necessary patrons, or exceed expectations as the original route has done. Rail is very costly, and there has to be a demand for it in order to be successful. This is why I believe Scottsdale's opposition is more economic than anything else.

The priority should be to extend light rail from Central & Washington to the Capitol, and then possibly to the west Valley. I understand that the I10 median (which is currently a vacant eyesore) is slated for light rail sometime in the next decade or so. This stretch would be better used for extra traffic lanes, which would be more productive, efficient, and less costly ... however, I guess there is a demand for light rail to expand to the west Valley.

I hope that Tempe and Chandler can somehow work together on changing the name of Rural Road to something better. Rural Road is anything but rural ... however, that's another topic!
The 72 is one of the busiest routes operated by Valley Metro's First Transit-RPTA East Valley operations (probably the busiest north-south route, with the 61-Southern probably being the busiest east-west route under the First Transit-RPTA East Valley umbrella). My idea of combining my Pink and Brown Line ideas into a single Pink Line would relieve traffic on the 72 plus would provide a needed light rail link for Chandler and Gilbert, two cities that are underserved by mass transit by linking them to popular destinations in Tempe and Scottsdale to maximize ridership, plus Downtown Chandler and three other major malls (Chandler Fashion Center, SanTan Village, and Superstition Springs Center). The line wouldn't solely be intended for mall-to-mall traffic; there are plenty of other popular destinations along the line as well.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:11 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The 72 is one of the busiest routes operated by Valley Metro's First Transit-RPTA East Valley operations (probably the busiest north-south route, with the 61-Southern probably being the busiest east-west route under the First Transit-RPTA East Valley umbrella). My idea of combining my Pink and Brown Line ideas into a single Pink Line would relieve traffic on the 72 plus would provide a needed light rail link for Chandler and Gilbert, two cities that are underserved by mass transit by linking them to popular destinations in Tempe and Scottsdale to maximize ridership, plus Downtown Chandler and three other major malls (Chandler Fashion Center, SanTan Village, and Superstition Springs Center). The line wouldn't solely be intended for mall-to-mall traffic; there are plenty of other popular destinations along the line as well.
If a light rail line would go straight up Scottsdale Road (as I believe you're suggesting), that would be a major inconvenience to the general traffic flow in Old Town because it's currently a narrow street with only two lanes in each direction in that area. Scottsdale Road becomes a wider thoroughfare south of the Drinkwater extension, and north of Camelback if I'm not mistaken, but the downtown part of Scottsdale Road would be exclusively light rail and little room for vehicle traffic.

Anyway, don't expect Scottsdale to get on board with light rail anytime soon. They've already decided that they don't want it, so the best thing to do for now is concentrate on extending it within the central areas of Phoenix and possibly the west side where there is a greater demand.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:

I believe both a government complex/West Valley extension and Rural/Scottsdale are both past due. If anything, I think local governments need to be stricter on time and get these built faster. I've seen it done in Asia, and this was for subway lines, which are much costlier and more time consuming to build. Still, they could get things done and fast. I'm surprised the Phoenix city government doesn't get more aggressive with commuter rail, because it would be less costly using existing rail and could instantly connect other cities. I'm sure multiple municipalities would be willing to work toward that, and it could potentially revitalize Union Station (which, on another note, could really use more lobbying on the city's part to resume Amtrak service).

Old 11-28-2016, 11:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
If a light rail line would go straight up Scottsdale Road (as I believe you're suggesting), that would be a major inconvenience to the general traffic flow in Old Town because it's currently a narrow street with only two lanes in each direction in that area. Scottsdale Road becomes a wider thoroughfare south of the Drinkwater extension, and north of Camelback if I'm not mistaken, but the downtown part of Scottsdale Road would be exclusively light rail and little room for vehicle traffic.

Anyway, don't expect Scottsdale to get on board with light rail anytime soon. They've already decided that they don't want it, so the best thing to do for now is concentrate on extending it within the central areas of Phoenix and possibly the west side where there is a greater demand.
Light rail in Scottsdale would be a cool feature but the city council has already determined Scottsdale is too good for it.

The demand is higher in the west valley, I would like to see more lines west of 19th Avenue expanding to the western suburbs before the second coming of Christ.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:50 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Light rail in Scottsdale would be a cool feature but the city council has already determined Scottsdale is too good for it.

The demand is higher in the west valley, I would like to see more lines west of 19th Avenue expanding to the western suburbs before the second coming of Christ.
Should He tarry.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

I would think lines going to Downtown Glendale, Westgate, and to Arrowhead Towne Center would generate quite a bit of ridership. However, at the same time, a line going to Scottsdale Fashion Square and Old Town Scottsdale would also generate a lot of ridership despite the opposition of the city council. There is no denying that the 72 is a very busy bus route. The whole reason why the city doesn't want light rail is because they don't want the undesirables, not because of a lack of demand.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
The whole reason why the city doesn't want light rail is because they don't want the undesirables, not because of a lack of demand.
Oh, the riff-raff!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
The whole reason why the city doesn't want light rail is because they don't want the undesirables, not because of a lack of demand.
Or maybe they don't want to spend $500 million of their tax dollars on a light rail expansion. Keep on perpetuating the notion Scottsdale doesn't want light rail because it wants to keep the undesirables out if it makes you feel better.

The supposed "undesirables" already have a plethora of ways to make to Scottsdale right now, if they so choose. It's like if you say something long enough and over and over, people start to believe it, even if it isn't true.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
I would think lines going to Downtown Glendale, Westgate, and to Arrowhead Towne Center would generate quite a bit of ridership. However, at the same time, a line going to Scottsdale Fashion Square and Old Town Scottsdale would also generate a lot of ridership despite the opposition of the city council. There is no denying that the 72 is a very busy bus route. The whole reason why the city doesn't want light rail is because they don't want the undesirables, not because of a lack of demand.
Your dream of light rail expansion is becoming a slow reality, it's progressing eastward through Mesa. Construction starts on Mesa light-rail extension to Gilbert Road

I agree with you about Scottsdale's opposition, light rail would be nothing but advantageous but don't expect it to happen there unless the trains are designed like Porches or Maseratis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area