Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 11:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,837,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The thread is about "entry level positions" and in the case I'm talking about it is a uneducated, no experience, applicant. I'm not looking for Ivey League, I'm looking for someone that wants to work. The director of that department started as a dishwasher in our facility 10 years ago and has worked up. Same for the manager in that department that works under the director. It is called entry level for a reason.

I'm the HR Director for a medical facility that operates three kitchens and 8 dining rooms. We have cooks, prep cooks, servers, and dishwashers along with 300 other non food service positions.

When you drop out of high school, have no work history, no experience and no education...you don't get to "live on your own". You share a place with four other people, you drive a beater, you eat ramen, and you gain experience and move up the wage scale and to bigger and better positions.
Yes and the OP has about the same experience I do. Very different fields though. By all technicalities the OP and I will be only a little experienced and educated. OP is trying to move all the way across the country to a place he doesn't even know people I assume. I am most likely going to do the same.

I'm not sure why you are hung up about that sole part of my post. You want better applicants post a better starting salary but if you're going to pay near minimum wage then you will only get the minimum quality of people. You get what you ask for. Don't be surprised that a lot of people don't want to work for slave wages the times have changed. And when I am your age the times will change on me too, and I'll have to adapt to them instead of trying to force people into a system that no longer works and wonder why I see problems. But that's not relevant to this thread so I won't get into it.

The point my post was mostly getting at it is a very tough market in Phoenix for good-paying jobs... which are very hard to come by. Minimum wage is not matching the COL increases happening in Phoenix and people still want good lives, so they wait on welfare or on their parents and scramble when a job pops up. Wouldn't be surprised if LBTRS' anecdote was exactly this. Of course that particular person had no character and won't get anywhere but still. You have a little less then two years, get more internships and start networking like crazy. Being in statistics and finance will help you I think, but not without any experience. Develop good references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 01:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,060 times
For food service, the talent is going to go where the tips are. I've seen country clubs have a tough time hiring, because pizza drivers made double. For institutional places, many would likely choose a school district for better pay and possibly health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: