Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM

576 posts, read 834,361 times

Advertisements

My responses from several posts above....

1) The hiccups associated with Sling TV seem to be a thing of the past. I have not had any trouble for at least 2 or 3 months.

2) I use CenturyLink DSL (18MB download speed) and have had zero issues with slow connections / buffering while watching video streams on both Netflix and Sling.

3) Seems like it depends on where you live for reliability with any ISP. Here in SCW, Cox is very hit and miss - down a lot from what my local friends tell me. Whereas I have experienced 100% uptime with Century Link. In other parts of the valley, I hear just the opposite. So I think it is best to survey your neighborhood to find out which is providing the best service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 AM

58 posts, read 118,288 times
I've heard great things about those Leaf antennas. May try one myself. Home of the #1 rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu

Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 AM

770 posts, read 839,669 times
I got rid of Cox years ago and went to directv and finally got sick of them and the rising cost of cable. A couple months ago I cut the cord. I use slingtv for cable, netflix, OTA for local channels, and I torrent TV shows and movies on to a USB drive then plug it into the TV. Best decision I've made the fact that ATT/Directv can buy Time Warner for 85 billion just shows you how much they gouge consumers.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 AM

770 posts, read 839,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
I noticed several mentions of Sling TV service (which seems to be a pretty good, and affordable, service/option), and I was considering trying out Sling myself (especially, because you can get a 30% discount on the basic package, if you're a T-Mobile customer), but I'd also heard a lot about Sony Vue, which is what I'm currently checking out the free trial of right now. And I have to say that, so far, Sony Vue is really impressive. I've only watched it on a small LCD TV so far (27-inch, I think), but the HD quality looks to be really nice and the streaming live TV has worked really well, with little-to-no buffering/lagging that I've noticed.
I switch between PS Vue and Sling TV I love PS VUE and the DVR cloud they only downside is they are missing a few channels I watch such as A&E and El Rey. Slingtv would be perfecr if the On Demand option was more vast and you didn't have to watch the show with full commercials. So Right now I'm leaning back towards PS Vue and downloading shows I don't get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
So if you drop Cox for internet, who have you gone with?

I have internet only for the last two years and the price keeps rising. I "bargained" with CS rep and now pay $57.99 a month for Internet Essential, no contract. I don't want or need a bundled package. I am in Sun City. I rarely use the internet for streaming. I basically need a secure connection for surfing and some financial. Any recommendations?

When I started with Cox two years ago, I had the Preferred at $39.99 a month.
Sling TV, PS Vue, DirectvNOW is coming out andHulu is also getting into the streaming of cable channels. It' the wave of the future and you don;t have all these hidden fees, DVR rentals, genie box rental, HD channel fees, and all the other BS.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:47 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,997 times
Try graboid.com they offer a free trial and you can get movies and tv shows.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,893,046 times
Cox Cable is a big rip-off. I had their regular digital cable box and I was paying about $150 per month for cable TV, high speed internet and digital telephone, which was sort of okay. Last month my bill went up to over $200 because the so-called "offer package" had expired. After exchanging their digital cable box with their "Mini Box", the rate went down to $165. I also didn't know that I was paying extra for channels that I never watch, like Showtime. Their cable package is so inflexible, they won't give you a decent choice of channels, my cable rate right now is about $70, just to include the handful of channels that I watch. They also charge you about $9 per month for their regular digital cable box, which I had too many problems with. The Mini-box works fine but they still charge about $3 per month for it..

I'll be looking to close the door on Cox cable TV in March when the contract will be up for renewal.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:20 AM

81 posts, read 172,509 times
One nice thing about Sling or Playstation vue is they are recognized providers by the various TV networks i.e. Scripps Food Network/HGTV etc so you can also stream from these once you sign onto the site/app with your provider credentials so it is a good supplement/alternative to DVR service.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:29 PM

81 posts, read 172,509 times
P.S. looking like Directvnow may offer free FireTV stick (1 month) or Apple TV (3 months) upon launch. Not confirmed but in Variety and other sites.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:49 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
A problem with leaving Cox for cable is the fact that they increase your internet rate by about $20 depending on your bundle. For me, my internet rate along would come close to $85! And that's if I don't upgrade my service. So when you cancel and then resubscribe to a bunch of newer streaming services you have to pay the full rate for the internet, or maybe more if you need better streaming quality, as well as the individual cost of each streaming service to cover your cable.

For me, and as much as I hate this, I would've only saved about $20/month off my current rate doing it that way.

When I called for DirectTv they told me the only internet option alternative to Cox in my area was Satellite Internet and that they wanted to install a dish on a pole in my backyard?!

I live in the middle of town, and Cox has forced me into their arms.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantam88 View Post
One nice thing about Sling or Playstation vue is they are recognized providers by the various TV networks i.e. Scripps Food Network/HGTV etc so you can also stream from these once you sign onto the site/app with your provider credentials so it is a good supplement/alternative to DVR service.
When I had PS Vue the credentials did work for Fox Sport Go, but it didn't validate for Fox Sports Arizona, only FS1, FS2, etc. They also didn't have the Fox Sports Arizona Plus channel on PS Vue so when there was a conflict and your game was on that channel you were out of luck, both on PS Vue and Fox Sports Go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area