Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:34 PM

2,396 posts, read 2,741,580 times

Advertisements

I wasn't really paying attention, but I just discovered, if I'm understanding this, that even with my cable-ready television, I'm going to be required to use a cable box, for which they will of course charge me every month. This may finally be the last straw, enough to make me give 'em up.

Am I right about the box? How are you taking it, if you have Cox?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 10:39 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,965,782 times
Cable is almost extinct. I have an antenna, a Tivo, Netflix and a few other things. I pay under $20 a month. Trust me, you won't miss cable. I will activate my Sling subscription for the month if there is something exclusive on ESPN I don't want to miss, but other than that I am happy without cable.

The Phoenix area has more HD channels through antenna than cox has with their starter cable package.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:52 PM

2,396 posts, read 2,741,580 times
Yes, that's what I'm thinking, just over-the-air broadcast. But I'd compose a long, stinging letter cataloguing all of Cox's screw-ups over the years.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:10 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,522,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Yes, that's what I'm thinking, just over-the-air broadcast. But I'd compose a long, stinging letter cataloguing all of Cox's screw-ups over the years.

What he's talking about is more than just over the air, but still a lot cheaper than cable.

That letter might make you feel better, but Cox will toss it and not care and not change a thing.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:20 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,105,180 times
I haven't paid for cable in 6 years. It's not worth the price. Almost anything can be streamed now, anyway. I just have an HD antenna and Netflix streamed through a Roku stick (which also has tons of other free channels) and total cost is right around $10/mo. The only thing I miss on occasion is certain sports games but if there is a big one with one of my teams I just go to a friend's or the local sports bar to watch. Why pay for something for which you are only going to watch 1 or 2% of what they give you, anyway?

Old 11-04-2016, 05:04 PM

576 posts, read 836,697 times
Agree. Cable is soooo 90's! ;-)

I too went the over the air / netflix / slingtv route. Pay $30 a month and have more than enough options and variety.

CUT THE CORD!

Old 11-04-2016, 05:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Agree. Cable is soooo 90's! ;-)

I too went the over the air / netflix / slingtv route. Pay $30 a month and have more than enough options and variety.

CUT THE CORD!
Unfortunately there isn't a widespread reliable/acceptable alternate to cable internet. Most people who want fast and reliable internet find cable only option. Cable is far from extinct as has been said earlier in this thread.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,991,392 times
I called and complained about my service and the price hike they tried to impose on me earlier this year. Eventually I got to their "Customer Retention" department and pretended I had a quote from DirectTV and that I didn't necessarily want to switch but the price was leading me that way considering the quality of the service. They cut my price back. Give it a shot, but don't bluff too hard.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:05 PM

108 posts, read 149,375 times
I noticed several mentions of Sling TV service (which seems to be a pretty good, and affordable, service/option), and I was considering trying out Sling myself (especially, because you can get a 30% discount on the basic package, if you're a T-Mobile customer), but I'd also heard a lot about Sony Vue, which is what I'm currently checking out the free trial of right now. And I have to say that, so far, Sony Vue is really impressive. I've only watched it on a small LCD TV so far (27-inch, I think), but the HD quality looks to be really nice and the streaming live TV has worked really well, with little-to-no buffering/lagging that I've noticed.

Sony Vue has 4 channel packages, for $30, $35, $45, and $65 (which includes HBO and Showtime) per month, and something that I really like is that the service has a built-in DVR option that saves the shows you record to a cloud, where each show is saved for 28 days, and then is automatically deleted. And, from what I can understand, there is no limit to the amount of shows/episodes you can record, as the cloud storage for the 28 days is literally unlimited. However, as I mentioned, after 28 days, the show/episode is automatically deleted.

FYI, the reason I'm sharing this information is because I would not have even heard of Sony Vue, if it weren't for people (including on here) posting about it, so I thought I'd try to make others aware of it, as well. There's also a Sony Vue section on the CordCutters forum on reddit, which is where I got a lot of information from, and is what made me decide to go ahead and try out the free trial of Sony Vue.

Btw, another reason that I'm suggesting Sony Vue is that I've read lots of complaints about Sling having buffering/lagging issues, and Sony Vue seems to have less buffering/lagging issues and to be more reliable. I will say, though, that I am currently using an (older) Amazon Fire TV Stick with the Sony Vue app, and it works very well to watch TV with, but the menu navigation is slowed down because the Stick is apparently a little outdated/not powerful enough. From what others have said, the Amazon Fire TV Box is supposed to work very well and be fast and smooth when using Vue's menu, as is the newer Amazon Fire TV Stick. I think the newer Roku devices are also supposed to work really well, but I only have a Roku 1 (which is older/outdated, and is still in the package, as I haven't even tried to use it yet), so I can't say for sure.

Sorry for rambling there. I just wanted to suggest trying out Sony Vue, if you don't mind paying $30-$45/month for the service. I will admit that I've only been using the free trial service for 2 days now, but it really seems to be a good service. And the Cloud DVR option is really nice to have. I should also mention that I only have 12Mbps Internet service right now, but it seems to be sufficient to be able to smoothly stream Sony Vue with.

I realize that many people want to spend less than $30-$45 per month, and that's understandable; but if you're willing to pay a little more to have a good amount of channels, HD-quality, good reliability, and a Cloud DVR service, I would say that Sony Vue is definitely worth checking out. And there's a free 7-day trial available, if you want to give it a shot!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:34 PM

214 posts, read 403,560 times
So if you drop Cox for internet, who have you gone with?

I have internet only for the last two years and the price keeps rising. I "bargained" with CS rep and now pay $57.99 a month for Internet Essential, no contract. I don't want or need a bundled package. I am in Sun City. I rarely use the internet for streaming. I basically need a secure connection for surfing and some financial. Any recommendations?

When I started with Cox two years ago, I had the Preferred at $39.99 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area