Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:43 AM

576 posts, read 833,103 times

Advertisements

Long article, but very eye opening!

Thousands of people flew Allegiant thinking their planes wouldn?t fail. They were wrong. | investigations | Tampa Bay Times

Makes you wonder if the few bucks you save is worth the risk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 08:20 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,044 times
Thanks for posting this. Another great longform/investigative piece by the TB Times.

I'd say on the one hand the planes aren't crashing, but on the other hand, the more in-air issues you have, surely the more risk you have of eventually having a crash and/or fatalities.

I have avoided Allegiant because I'd rather just pay one fare and be done with it than be nickled and dimed every step of the journey along the way, and because Sky Harbor is more convenient for me than Mesa Gateway, but this is well noted and is another thing to think about.

I will give the airline management credit for being accessible to reporters to address these issues; oftentimes companies hide behind a wall of silence or plausible deniability.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Like with anything in life, you get what you pay for. At the same time, I like having choices. I think it's great that we have an airport in the East Valley that gives people out there the option of catching a quick flight rather than driving all the way to Sky Harbor. I wish more domestic carriers flew out of Mesa. But overall I support Allegiant and think we are lucky to have a steady set of flights leave out of there.

But at one point, didn't Mesa have 3 budget airlines: Allegiant, Spirit and Frontier? I have a lot of friends and family that have flown Spirit and have had good experiences with them.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:29 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,310,901 times
There is another thread on this subject on the travel forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...alirlines.html

The fact that Allegiant's CEO was also involved in ValuJet Airlines, another carrier who had safety issues is a great concern.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 PM

107 posts, read 201,822 times
Interesting info. Being in the flight path Allegiant takes to Mesa, I've seen a lot more of the Airbuses lately; I think they're working pretty hard to get rid of the MD-80s. Someone in my family flies them at least once a month. We've had a couple of delays, but no cancelled flights or obvious in-flight problems yet.

I wondered about the quote in the article that the jet the guy got on was grimy on the outside & the seats were torn. Maybe those are the Florida jets.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,619 times
If I'm not mistaken, even their old planes are "refurbished" on a regular basis. I saw a documentary about how American Airlines does this with their old MD-80s

I suspect Allegiant "refurbishes" these older aircraft to ensure their safety.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 PM

576 posts, read 833,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
If I'm not mistaken, even their old planes are "refurbished" on a regular basis. I saw a documentary about how American Airlines does this with their old MD-80s

I suspect Allegiant "refurbishes" these older aircraft to ensure their safety.
Did you read the article? Yes they are refurbished and maintained on a regular basis according to Allegiant. The gist of the story is that they are obviously not maintained to the same standards as other airlines (or perhaps to the FAA standards). Here is a quote from the article pertaining specifically to the MD-80s:

"Only three major U.S. carriers still use the MD-80 model jet as part of their regular fleet. Allegiant’s MD-80s are twice as likely to break down as those flown by the other two."

Old 11-10-2016, 10:30 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,619 times
^^^ No, honestly I haven't read the article yet. I will admit, as a skittish flyer, I'd prefer a newer plane vs. an old MD-80. But if Allegiant's planes are "dangerous", the FAA would ground them.

I've heard of incidents with Allegiant's planes, but never any crashes.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:20 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,142,661 times
My parents fly in on Allegiant tomorrow night. Not concerned one bit. There's probably a much greater chance of us getting in a fiery car wreck on the drive home.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
I've flown Allegiant many times from Mesa to family in smaller towns in Montana. The planes are certianly old and squeaky. I've never felt endangered per se, but the experience isn't really one I'd recommend if you don't like flying.

Allegiant as a concept is great, you use Sky Harbor for large city to city flights, but Allegiant from Mesa to other small towns. But Allegiant itself is not a great experience, and while tickets start at 40, they fee every step you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: