Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 10,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Tough but not impossible in the IT field. I would scour the area business journals for companies relocating to AZ - especially from California. As far as relocation reimbursement - I'd venture to say slim chance to no. You have way more applicants to openings in PHX.

Phoenix is planets away from Austin...hard to believe someone especially in IT, would want to relo to Arizona. The public schools suck here, wages are below the national average, and the football team is tragic. The politics of AZ make Texas look like a bunch head-scratching liberals. Oh, and did anyone mention the summer? AZ unlike Texas has no beach front property.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Whew, thanks for this. After reading caryberry's post I was afraid I needed to start planning to move to Austin!
Anytime! Facts and biased opinions are easy to sift through on this site. A lot of Phoenix bashers don't have a good sense of reality.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:45 AM

99 posts, read 171,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabigboom View Post
Chandler was a location I was actually considering as well, just forgot to add it to the list. Those four cities all seem pretty close together and look to have decently priced homes as well as some decent schools. Out of the four, thoughts on which is going to cater better to a family of four that just wants to live peacefully out in the burbs?

My oldest is three, so we still have some time before she will be in school, but the idea is to potentially get out there within the next 6-8 months and get the lay of the land and settled. Once we know we are in it for the long haul, we will purchase a house and make sure it feeds into a good school system.

Does anyone know how much lower tech salaries actually are out there? I currently make around 90k and while I am ok with a pay cut since COL is lower, I don't want to end up in a situation where we are living hand to mouth.
We loved Gilbert and Chandler area as well. We are also thinking to relocate to AZ. When I was checking on the salary.com, I'll get a salary cut of 4-5% from Philly to Phoenix, again not sure how accurate the comparison calculator is.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 5,192 times
My husband is in IT and we relocated here from Memphis 6 years ago. He now works for Pepsi Co. Need a connection

Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 PM

41 posts, read 68,876 times
How is the job market for the hospitality industry, specifically hotel sales and management?

Old 01-20-2017, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 9,512 times
Arizona is a great place to live. Public school system isn't great but there are a lot of really good charter and private school options. Just don't wait too long if you decide that's the direction you want to go because the good ones tend to fill up fast. We are currently in North Phoenix but would love to relocate to the East valley--Gilbert, Chandler. It is beautiful part of the valley and the house prices are more reasonable than Phoenix. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-21-2017, 05:16 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Opinions are one thing, facts are another.

Total STEM jobs in metro Phoenix: 330,000, Austin 184,000
Metro Areas with the Most Blue Collar STEM Jobs

Closest beach to Phoenix: 3hr37min, Austin 3hr50mins

Top ranked high school in Phoenix #2 in the country
11 schools in Arizona rank in the top 500 nationwide
11 Arizona high schools ranked in nation's best - ABC15 Arizona

Last super bowl appearance: AZ- 2008, TX- 1995
My memory is foggy and I don't care to Google the answer. Arizona hosted the Super Bowl twice, and once aroused controversy because of arm-twisting and pressure on part of the NFL (and their consumer base) due to this "live and let live" and "come as you are" state refusing to recognize Martin Luther King Day, which led to the holiday finally being recognized. Was that the 1996 or 2015 game? Logically I'd think it would have to be the former, but I'm sure you could confirm.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM

594 posts, read 700,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Anytime! Facts and biased opinions are easy to sift through on this site. A lot of Phoenix bashers don't have a good sense of reality.
Thanks locolife, you again demonstrated your ability to present the facts and in the process , castrate the circular items of those most deserving.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Tough but not impossible in the IT field. I would scour the area business journals for companies relocating to AZ - especially from California. As far as relocation reimbursement - I'd venture to say slim chance to no. You have way more applicants to openings in PHX.

Phoenix is planets away from Austin...hard to believe someone especially in IT, would want to relo to Arizona. The public schools suck here, wages are below the national average, and the football team is tragic. The politics of AZ make Texas look like a bunch head-scratching liberals. Oh, and did anyone mention the summer? AZ unlike Texas has no beach front property.
I've worked in IT in many areas and for those who are educated/know where to look and have the talent, decent IT jobs here are not hard to get. Perhaps you need to update yourself on what's going on here with tech/IT:

Where the best tech jobs are: 'Phoenix is huge' | 12NEWS.com

Highly Skilled Workers are Flocking to Affordable Markets with a Growing Tech Presence, According to CBRE's Annual "Scoring Tech Talent" Report
"In their quest for highly skilled talent and for lower cost of doing business, both new and expanding companies are establishing footprints in these more affordable markets—including Nashville, Charlotte, Tampa, Seattle and Phoenix—leading to a rise in demand for office space and a decrease in office vacancy."
"The top 10-ranked momentum markets and their associated tech talent growth rates were:

​1. ​Charlotte, NC ​74.7% ​2. ​Nashville, TN ​67.9% ​3. ​SF Bay Area, CA ​61.5% ​4. ​Baltimore, MD ​61.4% ​5. ​Oklahoma City, OK ​59.0% ​6. ​Phoenix, AZ ​58.1% ​7. ​Austin, TX ​51.8% ​8. ​Tampa, FL ​50.9% ​9. ​Seattle, WA ​50.2% ​10. ​Vancouver, BC ​50.1%​​​"

In addition, many in IT can work/live here for a company based elsewhere. I have friends who do that.

As for Phoenix being "planets away from Austin", I agree with your compliment.

As for public schools here, many of the suburb areas with engaged parents have decent schools as parents/an engaged household that stresses education is the key. $ doesn't fix disengaged students/parents here nor does it do so elsewhere despite what you're being sold/buying into.

Many feel winters in the vast majority of the country as bad/tougher to take than 4 months of hot Phoenix summers with roughly to most, 7-8 months of picture perfect weather here. And A/C is your friend in the summer as is doing things in the early morning/night. Try that in winter climates.

Sorry to hear Phoenix didn't work out for you for whatever reason(s) but it helps to provide a balanced view on matters for others as skewing reality without facts does no one any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
My memory is foggy and I don't care to Google the answer. Arizona hosted the Super Bowl twice, and once aroused controversy
I've found it best to live in the now/future and not fixate and be so obsessed with the past so much, on the "once up a time" way of thinking as we all are going to spend our time in the future, not the past. Something to ponder.

Last edited by stevek64; 01-22-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I've found it best to live in the now/future and not fixate and be so obsessed with the past so much, on the "once up a time" way of thinking as we all are going to spend our time in the future, not the past. Something to ponder.
You mean by how little things have changed, and that sort of atmosphere is still alive and well in Arizona today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area