Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
You mean by how little things have changed, and that sort of atmosphere is still alive and well in Arizona today?
The glass is half empty, not half full.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse comes to mind as you choose to ignore the positive data/developments that many here post and choose to concentrate/fixate on the negative/what's negative in your own mind.

Yet you still live here? If so, please spare us why you are "stuck" here.

Last edited by stevek64; 01-22-2017 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The glass is half empty, not half full.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse comes to mind as you choose to ignore the positive data/developments that many here post and choose to concentrate/fixate on the negative/what's negative in your own mind.

Yet you still live here? If so, please spare us why you are "stuck" here.
And you choose to ignore serious negative issues affecting this state... why? How is concern a bad thing? One of the reasons I hate this state is because that mindset is so rampant here, and I have little confidence things are going to improve greatly any time soon, especially when other cities are doing it better and poising themselves for future prosperity. Maybe it's because I have worked in marketing and understand that you can't make a bad thing good unless you acknowledge and accept that bad thing is there.

Now, for that explanation you need. Last spring I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but after closely looking into this state and whatever future it may have, decided I would work on leaving. First, I was waiting for my company to finalize restructuring. Unfortunately that now means transferring is out of the question. So I started my job search as soon as I could, which was also right before Thanksgiving. That tends to be a busy time for a lot of people, in case you weren't aware, and hiring wasn't a big priority then. Now that people have returned to work and caught up, I'm starting to finally hear back. Obviously, I'm going to be careful with this decision because I'm not moving to be in a worse situation. Relax and rest assured that I'll be out of here as soon as I can so you can enjoy... whatever it is about this place that seems to make you so happy you come to argue with strangers on a forum who disagree with you.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
And you choose to ignore serious negative issues affecting this state... why? How is concern a bad thing? One of the reasons I hate this state is because that mindset is so rampant here, and I have little confidence things are going to improve greatly any time soon, especially when other cities are doing it better and poising themselves for future prosperity. Maybe it's because I have worked in marketing and understand that you can't make a bad thing good unless you acknowledge and accept that bad thing is there.

Now, for that explanation you need. Last spring I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but after closely looking into this state and whatever future it may have, decided I would work on leaving. First, I was waiting for my company to finalize restructuring. Unfortunately that now means transferring is out of the question. So I started my job search as soon as I could, which was also right before Thanksgiving. That tends to be a busy time for a lot of people, in case you weren't aware, and hiring wasn't a big priority then. Now that people have returned to work and caught up, I'm starting to finally hear back. Obviously, I'm going to be careful with this decision because I'm not moving to be in a worse situation. Relax and rest assured that I'll be out of here as soon as I can so you can enjoy... whatever it is about this place that seems to make you so happy you come to argue with strangers on a forum who disagree with you.
One's "serious negative issues" and "a bad thing" are another person's non issue. Concern of course isn't a bad thing but not taking action in one's own life on what's "bad" and not move along from things one can't change I believe is unproductive. And certainly you/I have every right to express things on the forums but griping on a forum on just about every aspect of living in a place to me is like shouting in an open field with no one around and that's my point.....nothing gets solved that way. Such matters you're discussing over and over again that you would like to see changes in are largely solved when one volunteers to make things better one doesn't see as ideal, takes a seat in government, etc., not go on about all the things one wants changes on a forum IF the goal is to really make some change. And as for "arguing", it's called having a different perspective as this is what these forums are about. Perhaps you call it "arguing" because my view is different than your constant negative spin on things and this doesn't sit well with you but that's life, different views/glass is half full or half empty depending on what one's values and situation and one's like/dislikes are. Put a view out there on these forums, one should expect some to agree, some to disagree, some in between so let's call it what it is...a difference in opinion. If a difference in opinion is called "arguing" to you/you see it in a defensive way, the give and take foundation and what these forums are about, then what can I say other than I think you have unrealistic expectations on what these forums are about.

Last edited by stevek64; 01-23-2017 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
One's "serious negative issues" and "a bad thing" are another person's non issue. Concern of course isn't a bad thing but not taking action in one's own life on what's "bad" and not move along from things one can't change I believe is unproductive. And certainly you/I have every right to express things on the forums but griping on a forum on just about every aspect of living in a place to me is like shouting in an open field with no one around and that's my point.....nothing gets solved that way. Such matters you're discussing over and over again that you would like to see changes in are largely solved when one volunteers to make things better one doesn't see as ideal, takes a seat in government, etc., not go on about all the things one wants changes on a forum IF the goal is to really make some change. And as for "arguing", it's called having a different perspective as this is what these forums are about. Perhaps you call it "arguing" because my view is different than your constant negative spin on things and this doesn't sit well with you but that's life, different views/glass is half full or half empty depending on what one's values and situation and one's like/dislikes are. Put a view out there on these forums, one should expect some to agree, some to disagree, some in between so let's call it what it is...a difference in opinion. If a difference in opinion is called "arguing" to you/you see it in a defensive way, the give and take foundation and what these forums are about, then what can I say other than I think you have unrealistic expectations on what these forums are about.
Perhaps you should go back and see how this particular exchange started—it was all you, hon. I see you're trying to turn the tables to make yourself look better though. How exactly will volunteer work bring in better jobs? Or how will it improve transportation? How it will connect this dead-end town to the world? Running for office wouldn't help either, because the things this state desperately needs would cost politicians votes, namely because people here need to put on their big girl panties and accept a tax increase, as expenses are climbing while revenue is declining thanks to the latest corporate tax cut. By the way, I'm waiting to see that benefit me, either in a better raise or bringing in better jobs, which could lead to competitive pay.

Things may seem like non-issues to people here, but Phoenix doesn't exactly attract the brightest in the country and they can't really understand how much they depend on things that may otherwise seem unrelated and disconnected to them. As with any city, Phoenix is a complex system and seemingly unrelated things are interconnected. Look at how bad this entire town was affected when real estate tanked a few years ago, even for people who didn't work in the industry or owned property. The same can be said for the abysmal education situation here. While I don't have children, nor do I intend to, having an educated populace benefits me because of what they can provide.

You seem to think I just woke up one morning and hated it here. Learning to dislike it was a process, and most of it has to do with the people here, not only in that it's difficult to relate to you, but also in this relative contentment at being such a loser of a city that aspires for nothing more than the mediocrity it has already achieved. I constantly read people coming on this forum who visited once and loved it, then get misinformed here when seeking advice. Oddly these people aren't separating the escapism from day-to-day reality a vacation affords, which is probably why Phoenix is so transient in nature—reality sets in and people realize living here isn't that great, except for those who come for its only virtue of being cheaper than where they came from.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should go back and see how this particular exchange started—it was all you, hon. I see you're trying to turn the tables to make yourself look better though. How exactly will volunteer work bring in better jobs? Or how will it improve transportation? How it will connect this dead-end town to the world? Running for office wouldn't help either, because the things this state desperately needs would cost politicians votes, namely because people here need to put on their big girl panties and accept a tax increase, as expenses are climbing while revenue is declining thanks to the latest corporate tax cut. By the way, I'm waiting to see that benefit me, either in a better raise or bringing in better jobs, which could lead to competitive pay.

Things may seem like non-issues to people here, but Phoenix doesn't exactly attract the brightest in the country and they can't really understand how much they depend on things that may otherwise seem unrelated and disconnected to them. As with any city, Phoenix is a complex system and seemingly unrelated things are interconnected. Look at how bad this entire town was affected when real estate tanked a few years ago, even for people who didn't work in the industry or owned property. The same can be said for the abysmal education situation here. While I don't have children, nor do I intend to, having an educated populace benefits me because of what they can provide.

You seem to think I just woke up one morning and hated it here. Learning to dislike it was a process, and most of it has to do with the people here, not only in that it's difficult to relate to you, but also in this relative contentment at being such a loser of a city that aspires for nothing more than the mediocrity it has already achieved. I constantly read people coming on this forum who visited once and loved it, then get misinformed here when seeking advice. Oddly these people aren't separating the escapism from day-to-day reality a vacation affords, which is probably why Phoenix is so transient in nature—reality sets in and people realize living here isn't that great, except for those who come for its only virtue of being cheaper than where they came from.
Sure, some come here and move on don't like it for whatever reason but the net effect it is a high growth/one of the fast growing states/regions population wise in the nation and has been for a long time now and is attracting educated people, especially in the last few years if you care to see the links I proved on the last page in regards to tech/educated millennial's and beyond. Again, you see the glass half empty, your comments above further proof of your view on the topic and me coming from a different place. No sense in beating this to the ground/I think we both know where we stand.

As for Phoenix "doesn't exactly attract the brightest in the country", nice job insulting a bunch of educated people who teach, work in tech, a large health care presence, college professors at some major universities, etc. and many on this forum who have college degrees/advanced degrees and live and work here. Nice!

In any case, I wish you the best on your escape.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Sure, some come here and move on don't like it for whatever reason but the net effect it is a high growth/one of the fast growing states/regions population wise in the nation and has been for a long time now and is attracting educated people, especially in the last few years if you care to see the links I proved on the last page in regards to tech/educated millennial's and beyond. Again, you see the glass half empty, your comments above further proof of your view on the topic and me coming from a different place. No sense in beating this to the ground/I think we both know where we stand.

As for Phoenix "doesn't exactly attract the brightest in the country", nice job insulting a bunch of educated people who teach, work in tech, a large health care presence, college professors at some major universities, etc. and many on this forum who have college degrees/advanced degrees and live and work here. Nice!

In any case, I wish you the best on your escape.
Perhaps you've missed that article I've posted multiple times, ranking Phoenix's number of college educated people among the lowest of large areas. You do know that companies won't open up somewhere before people are there, right? I posted in another thread a large number of new high-rises (including the white collar jobs to populate them) going up around the country, while Phoenix is still lagging in this regard. They set up there because there's already a skilled, educated workforce in those cities. Phoenix struggles with this because there aren't enough to go around. I've never once denied that some of these jobs have a presence here, but they're in much shorter supply and often pay far below market value.

And I thought I'd made it abundantly clear that I really don't care what others think. I'm not here to make friends, nor to be nice. I'm a direct, blunt person, and much less tactless and polite in person. If you don't like it, ignore me. If you want more people like me moving here, continue to polish this turd and welcome them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area