Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Wow! To be honest I almost think that it might not be a good idea to hike if there is that likely hood of running into rattle snakes. Last thing I need to worry about is getting bit away from my local hospital. I wouldn't worry so much about actually getting bit as having to deal with out of market hospital costs lol
Don't get too scared by this thread. Rattlesnake bites are quite rare and can almost always be avoided by taking the precautions suggested here. Sometimes our perceptions of risk don't match with the actual probability of events. For example, car crashes are far more common than snake bites. You'll probably be more at risk driving on local roads than hiking on local trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:17 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,108,273 times
The typical rattlesnake bite victim is male, under 30, and drunk.

Your hiking safety concerns should be focused on:

1. Plenty of water

2. Avoiding injury

3. Getting lost

You'll be fine, enjoy yourself.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,145,278 times
Quote:
Wow! To be honest I almost think that it might not be a good idea to hike if there is that likely hood of running into rattle snakes. Last thing I need to worry about is getting bit away from my local hospital. I wouldn't worry so much about actually getting bit as having to deal with out of market hospital costs lol
Seriously it's not a concern. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. I've lived here for 20 years and have never seen a rattle snake on any of my hikes.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Don't get too scared by this thread. Rattlesnake bites are quite rare and can almost always be avoided by taking the precautions suggested here. Sometimes our perceptions of risk don't match with the actual probability of events. For example, car crashes are far more common than snake bites. You'll probably be more at risk driving on local roads than hiking on local trails.
Ive literally almost stepped on several, right in the middle of the trail. Ill tell you exactly where:

1) entrance to the PMP, off of Tatum, only 100 yards or so from the parking lot entrance - medium western diamondback

2) coming down Dixie Peak (right at the Trail 100 loop marker), a big orange tiger rattler

3) Toms Thumb trail - about half mile up the ascent - a couple coming down warned me about it. I looked for it and couldn't initially find it, but looking closer it had taken up residence about a foot off the trail under a creosote bush - smaller western diamondback

4) PMP, back in the park (don't remember the trail number) closer towards the Squaw Peak parking lot - right on the trail - western diamondback

5) Camelback Mtn - Cholla Trail - near one of the metal "handrails" - western diamondback

6) PMP, unmarked trail on the far eastern side of the park - western diamondback on a rock right next to the trail

7) Squaw Peak - western diamondback in the parking lot by the trailhead - big ol sucker

8) PMP - couple making their way down with a dog informed me of a big rattler right off the trail - never saw it personally

My posts aren't meant to scare anyone, but rather be a prime example of the old "never let your guard down" advice.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:55 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Seriously it's not a concern. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. I've lived here for 20 years and have never seen a rattle snake on any of my hikes.
You don't look, that's why. Do you know how hard they are to see? I guarantee you've passed by many and never even noticed.

Lets play "find the rattlesnake". Lets start with an easy one:

Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,705,519 times
^^ Bottom right of the picture on the side of the rock. Took about 10-15 seconds :x

Old 12-14-2016, 03:43 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
I've seen three rattlesnakes over roughly 10 years. They're not aggressive. All you have to do is stay alert and don't approach them. If you need to hike after dark be sure to have a good headlamp or flashlight.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
I put in 3,000+ miles a year mostly biking our local trails, you want to be aware of snakes but I wouldn't let it deter you one bit. Ok average I see 2 or 3 most years and I'm on the trails a solid 10-15 hours most weeks, year-round. The good news is they usually warn you with the rattler sound and they're almost always trying to get away from you as much as you want away from them.

In addition to hiking if you're into road or mountain biking the valley is a mecca. There's also quite a few arts and cultural options you may find interesting such as the botanical garden, Roosevelt Row, zoos, muesuems, live music and a pretty awesome brewery scene. Where are you planning to stay? I'd suggest downtown Phoenix based on where the Dodgers stadium is.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:54 AM

123 posts, read 175,829 times
Rattlers aren't going to bother you if you leave them alone. Chances are you'll pass by them without even knowing they are there. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the valley, pick a few and enjoy. I'd suggest Squaw Peak, its quick, tough, and highly rewarding.

Back to the original topic, the Dodgers' spring training stadium is in Glendale, but the team could be playing at any of the valley's ballparks. Check the schedule to see where they are playing as it may influence your hotel choice.

In general, someone your age would probably enjoy Scottsdale/Tempe/Downtown Phoenix. Lots going on in March, especially with the Final Four in town this year.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:03 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,683,266 times
Quote:
I live on the East Coast. I'm a big Dodgers fans. I've recently thought of possibly taking a solo trip out to see some Spring Training games.

Obviously I'd need more to do than just baseball games. I'm in my mid 30's. I'm in good shape so walking is very easy for me.

Any recommendations on what a mid 30's male might enjoy doing there? Temperature in mid March?

Thanks
Dodger's stadium is near Westgate, maybe 3 to 4 miles away. There is enough to do there. Nice hotels in the area.

I recommend Legends Deck tickets for weekend games. Free food, roof, padded seats, an old Dodger player or two will be there. Bar available. Camelback Ranch site will give more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area