Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times

Advertisements

I live on the East Coast. I'm a big Dodgers fans. I've recently thought of possibly taking a solo trip out to see some Spring Training games.

Obviously I'd need more to do than just baseball games. I'm in my mid 30's. I'm in good shape so walking is very easy for me.

Any recommendations on what a mid 30's male might enjoy doing there? Temperature in mid March?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 02:29 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I live on the East Coast. I'm a big Dodgers fans. I've recently thought of possibly taking a solo trip out to see some Spring Training games.

Obviously I'd need more to do than just baseball games. I'm in my mid 30's. I'm in good shape so walking is very easy for me.

Any recommendations on what a mid 30's male might enjoy doing there? Temperature in mid March?

Thanks
March is probably the most popular time for tourism in Phoenix. At the same time as spring training, there are also outdoor festivals all over town. Desert wildflowers are in bloom, making it a good time for hiking and outdoor activities. Daytime highs are usually in the 70s, but can be in the 80s or 90s if there is a heat wave.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
March is probably the most popular time for tourism in Phoenix. At the same time as spring training, there are also outdoor festivals all over town. Desert wildflowers are in bloom, making it a good time for hiking and outdoor activities. Daytime highs are usually in the 70s, but can be in the 80s or 90s if there is a heat wave.
Hiking..so when I was in LA I hiked up the Runyon Canyon. I really enjoyed that. Do you hike up mountains there or what?

And while we are on the topic do you have to worry about rattle snacks? scorpions?

Old 12-13-2016, 04:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Hiking..so when I was in LA I hiked up the Runyon Canyon. I really enjoyed that. Do you hike up mountains there or what?

And while we are on the topic do you have to worry about rattle snacks? scorpions?
Most trails are in mountain preserves around the metropolitan area. Rattlesnakes are a danger. Make sure to watch where you put your hands and feet, and don't wear earphones that would drown out the sound of a rattle. Scorpions are not a significant concern when hiking. They're more likely to be encountered in storage sheds, wood piles, and other environments that provide a good place for them to hide. Nevertheless, be careful if you overturn any rocks along a trail.

Some ideas of where to hike:

https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails

City of Scottsdale - McDowell Sonoran Preserve

Maricopa County Parks & Recreation | Maricopa County Parks & Recreation

Old 12-13-2016, 04:03 PM

113 posts, read 159,882 times
There are many trails up and along the mountains surrounding the valley. I'm partial to South Mountain, as it is closest to me. Follow these two links for a map and in-depth discussion of the trails.

https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails...ptions-and-map

https://www.phoenix.gov/parkssite/Documents/062880.pdf

My favorites are Mormon, Holbert and Ranger trails.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Most trails are in mountain preserves around the metropolitan area. Rattlesnakes are a danger. Make sure to watch where you put your hands and feet, and don't wear earphones that would drown out the sound of a rattle. Scorpions are not a significant concern when hiking. They're more likely to be encountered in storage sheds, wood piles, and other environments that provide a good place for them to hide. Nevertheless, be careful if you overturn any rocks along a trail.

Some ideas of where to hike:

https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails

City of Scottsdale - McDowell Sonoran Preserve

Maricopa County Parks & Recreation | Maricopa County Parks & Recreation
Great tip on earphones. I could see myself listening to music! Thanks!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:24 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
Agree on hiking - I'm partial to the Gateway Trailhead in the McDowell Mountains in Scottsdale. Speaking of Scottsdale, as a 30-something guy, you might like some of the bars and restaurants in Old Town Scottsdale as well as downtown Phoenix.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Great tip on earphones. I could see myself listening to music! Thanks!
Yeah, that's a big no-no, especially in March when rattlers are emerging from their winter downtime. They will most likely be encountered right on the trail itself, so keep a sharp eye peeled, as they blend in extremely well with the environment. Ive seen them on every trail in the Valley, from way up north at Toms Thumb, to right in the thick of the city at Camelback and Squaw Peak (Piestewa), so no trail is immune to them.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,490 times
Avoid music while hiking and just enjoy the peace and quiet. It get's so quiet you can hear lizards fart. Don't be one of those people that plays music through their phone's speakers.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yeah, that's a big no-no, especially in March when rattlers are emerging from their winter downtime. They will most likely be encountered right on the trail itself, so keep a sharp eye peeled, as they blend in extremely well with the environment. Ive seen them on every trail in the Valley, from way up north at Toms Thumb, to right in the thick of the city at Camelback and Squaw Peak (Piestewa), so no trail is immune to them.

Wow! To be honest I almost think that it might not be a good idea to hike if there is that likely hood of running into rattle snakes. Last thing I need to worry about is getting bit away from my local hospital. I wouldn't worry so much about actually getting bit as having to deal with out of market hospital costs lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area