Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 AM

551 posts, read 693,948 times

Advertisements

Stuff is growing everywhere. Can't keep up. These slow and steady rains are great for deep watering anything in the soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Sometimes I wonder if all this rain is is indicative of a broader change, a shift away from a desert region. I'm seeing huge swaths of land completely covered in green. Even places with crushed rock landscaping are overun with plants, some a few feet high. Perhaps we'll see more people replacing rock yards with grass.

I guess this is great for people who felt that Phoenix was too brown.

Hopefully when things heat up and dry out, the green will DIE!
Careful what you wish for. Today's multitude of spring flowers die off and become ripe for wildfires.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:37 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Careful what you wish for. Today's multitude of spring flowers die off and become ripe for wildfires.
Really? I don't think a surface burn poses any real issue to healthy and well-watered trees...if anything that sort of grass/brush fire is usually considered healthy for the forest floor and wouldn't generate enough heat to damage any trees.

It's when the trees get dried out that things get really bad and scary.

If there are any foresters here let me know if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding from what I've read over the years.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Really? I don't think a surface burn poses any real issue to healthy and well-watered trees...if anything that sort of grass/brush fire is usually considered healthy for the forest floor and wouldn't generate enough heat to damage any trees.

It's when the trees get dried out that things get really bad and scary.

If there are any foresters here let me know if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding from what I've read over the years.
The forests will benefit from the rain/snow - they will be greener and the tree killing insects are better resisted, but the deserts are at greater risk. Most desert species are not evolved for fire and are easily killed. Without humans, a wildfire in the desert is a rare occurrence. We usually see some nasty fires in the deserts after a wet year - all caused by carelessness.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The forests will benefit from the rain/snow - they will be greener and the tree killing insects are better resisted, but the deserts are at greater risk. Most desert species are not evolved for fire and are easily killed. Without humans, a wildfire in the desert is a rare occurrence. We usually see some nasty fires in the deserts after a wet year - all caused by carelessness.
Thank you for this ... would this be stuff like the riverbed burn that happened up in Globe-Miami area a year or two ago? I think there was a burn out in Buckeye in the last year or two as well.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Thank you for this ... would this be stuff like the riverbed burn that happened up in Globe-Miami area a year or two ago? I think there was a burn out in Buckeye in the last year or two as well.
Fires out east of the valley on the way to Payson, etc - Yarnell hill. Those places where the weeds and brush grow large with the rains and then dry into tinder in May. There was a really big fire near Fountain Hills a few years ago (maybe more like 20?). You can still see the saguaro skeletons along the Beeline. IIRC some campers were killed in a brush fire out that way too.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM

296 posts, read 364,682 times
When we bought our house in 2015 there was a sickly grass yard in the back with no irrigation system. We had no desire to water grass and we decided to let the yard go. My hope was that we would be able to fill the yard with native plants. A hardy deep rhizome grass began growing throughout the yard.

Our front yard is a desert landscape without any rock (but with weed barrier). It looks nicer than it sounds. We've been fighting the non-native plants back there. The rhizome grass is the worst.

Our little chihuahua terrier mix has been exposing some of the weed barrier in the backyard. Multiple types so I think it is years of different types of barriers. That really isn't stopping the plants (especially the rhizome grass).

I'm beginning to make peace with our back yard full of non-native plants. Our backyard is full of blooming non-native plants this year and it looks naturally pretty. Once I let go of the desire to "control" my yard and appreciate what is happening naturally I've been much happier. It also makes me smile to see bees in the yard.

I hope I continue to be happy with it. We would be limited with herbicide use in the back since our little poochie likes eating plants in the backyard. I call it "eating her daily salad".

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
I saw plenty of flowers while hiking at White Tanks today; however, I'd still say we're still ahead of the peak because for every blossom on the brittlebush, I saw several buds that look like they're going to open any day. Expect the desert to look even more vibrant in the new few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area