Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to live (safest, affordable, etc.) besides Scottsdale?
Peoria 3 15.79%
Glendale 0 0%
Chandler 2 10.53%
Gilbert 8 42.11%
Tempe 6 31.58%
Mesa 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 PM

9 posts, read 11,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Might as well live in Scottsdale IF that's where you end up working and you find something you like. The mantra here is to live relatively close to where you work. South Scottsdale is relatively lower income but hardly ghetto.

That said, if what you've read in this forum has led you to believe that you should avoid all of Mesa and Tempe, you are mistaken.
Like I said, I know every city has its good and bad areas. In general, however, I have gotten the impression a lot of Mesa and Tempe isn't the greatest place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Might as well live in Scottsdale IF that's where you end up working and you find something you like. The mantra here is to live relatively close to where you work. South Scottsdale is relatively lower income but hardly ghetto.

That said, if what you've read in this forum has led you to believe that you should avoid all of Mesa and Tempe, you are mistaken.
Also, curious as to why that is the mantra? When I was there it seemed very easy and convenient going place to place. I found the highways to be a joy to drive.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,476,278 times
Why should you stay away from Tempe? It has some really nice areas. I also think it's a bit silly to rule out Scottsdale. If you are working in Scottsdale, then live in scottsdale....it's easily the best area of the metro but I might be a little biased

Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Why should you stay away from Tempe? It has some really nice areas. I also think it's a bit silly to rule out Scottsdale. If you are working in Scottsdale, then live in scottsdale....it's easily the best area of the metro but I might be a little biased
Thank you for the reply. I have heard that "old town" Scottsdale isn't the best area. What is your opinion on it and are there any areas that should be avoided in Scottsdale? Thanks!

Old 01-02-2017, 02:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleistguy1670 View Post
Like I said, I know every city has its good and bad areas. In general, however, I have gotten the impression a lot of Mesa and Tempe isn't the greatest place to live.

Tempe is a very popular place to live. For those who do not want to live in an area with a high population of students, from Southern Ave south, (which is more than half the area of the city) you wouldn't necessarily know the university is even there. I've lived in south Tempe for over 40 years.

Quote:
Also, curious as to why that is the mantra? When I was there it seemed very easy and convenient going place to place. I found the highways to be a joy to drive.

The older parts of Mesa are not so great, but there is a slow resurgence in downtown that may help that. There's an older, not so great area in northeast Tempe, too, but that's not a reason to trash the whole city. The other part of the Tempe mantra is that people think of it as just a "college town". Obviously, it's home to the largest university in the country, but it's more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post

I would not rule out Scottsdale at all, especially if the OP will be working in or near there. It's not "the best area of the metro" to me, but it's got a lot going for it.

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I have heard that "old town" Scottsdale isn't the best area. What is your opinion on it and are there any areas that should be avoided in Scottsdale? Thanks!

"Old Town" not the best area? Well, I don't know exactly what the people said who gave you that impression, but I would think living in or near Old Town, with easy access to all the restaurants, etc., could be a fine thing. A lot of the apartments in the area are older, smaller complexes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. As you were already told upthread, there are no "areas to avoid" in Scottsdale. South Scottsdale is lower income, but not unsafe; there are just more amenities a bit farther north.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Was thinking I could get more for my money elsewhere and I am not working there for sure yet.
It depends on what you value. You haven't given any insight into that.

If it's space, then yes, you can probably get a larger place for less money elsewhere. If it's being near shopping, bars and restaurants, then likely no.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:13 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
I don't know who or what the OP is hearing, but it's nearly all bad advice or flat out incorrect.

Tempe and Mesa are not to be avoided. Both have terrific areas to live, depending on your lifestyle (family with kids, student, young blue collar, rich snowbird, etc. etc. etc.) Each has its areas that are not attractive or upscale, but neither has a what I would define a ghetto. Frankly, I don't think anywhere in the Valley of the Sun has a true ghetto (go visit Detroit or the Bronx to see a ghetto). And far east Mesa has some of the nicest views in the Valley.

Old Town is a bad area? Tell it to the hoards of happy tourists and residents.

Ultimately, you CANNOT decide where to live until you KNOW where you will be working unless you want to risk an unacceptable, atrocious commute. Come back with this question after you've secured employment and you'll receive helpful, good advice.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 PM

32 posts, read 50,218 times
I don't believe you can simply pick one city over another. Each city has great areas and not so great areas. And what you deem safe is also subjective. https://communitycrimemap.com/ I would do some research here first. I agree with the other response, it would be helpful to know where you'll be working, if you already know this.

There's just nothing to go on...a poll doesn't tell us anything.

Paige

Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,648,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not what you asked, but I am intimately familiar with Arizona, and have some opinions.

SEE EVERY SINGLE INCH OF THAT WONDERFUL STATE!
Have a beer with the local cowboys in Stanfield, go camping in the desert, meet the native Americans, walk to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, spend time alone in Petrified Forest, see Yuma, Gila Bend and take the desert roads to do so.
Take every tour, visit every national park and Indian ruin on the map, and find a few of your own. Hike in the hot desert (but BE CAREFUL) and revel in that sun that wants to burn right through you.
Learn a little Spanish.

And enjoy your stay or your life.
What a wonderful response.
I've lived here for 5 years now and couldn't have said it better. Kinda gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling. Ha....

Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
It's impossible to answer your question without first understanding your price range and whether you care about schools. Oddly you have omitted Phoenix from your list, which sits right next to Scottsdale. Coming from Chicago you might be thinking that the entire city is some sort of lower class hellhole, but you would be mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area