Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to live (safest, affordable, etc.) besides Scottsdale?
Peoria 3 15.79%
Glendale 0 0%
Chandler 2 10.53%
Gilbert 8 42.11%
Tempe 6 31.58%
Mesa 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 11,985 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and see a lot of good info on here. I'm about to ask a question that has been asked 1,000 before on here but I'd like fresh opinions. I will be moving to the Phoenix area within a month. I have been looking at what apartment/homes are available within 20 miles of Phoenix. Needless to say there are a lot of options. What are some areas I should stay away from? Obviously I don't want to live in the ghetto or any area with a lot of crime. I see that basically everywhere there will be a decent amount of property crime.

Anyways, can I get some opinions on where to look and maybe more importantly where NOT to look. I understand that every city has it's good and bad areas, but based on what I have been reading I should stay away from Mesa and Tempe along with certain parts of Phoenix (south?).

Also, is it worth looking at houses to rent? Will I get more for my money with an apartment? I see a lot of houses for rent that are about the same $ as apartments, obviously finding one in a safe and decent area probably isn't the easiest. Would like to keep rent around $1,000 a month for a 2x2 or 2x1 (before utilities of course).

Let me know what additional info is needed to give me the right answer. I have been focusing my search on Scottsdale, just because I was there a lot last time I lived there (3 short months). However, I don't know anything about Gilbert, Peoria, Chandler, etc.. Thanks in advance.

One more question. I have never experienced the summer heat. Like everyone, I have heard it is unbearable. So here is my question about it. I currently like in northern Illinois where it regularly gets to the teens outside with a real feel of -15 to -30. I never wear a coat and yes it is very freaking cold, but manageable going to and from places. Is the heat much like this, where it isn't bad as long as you aren't just sitting out in it?

Last edited by titleistguy1670; 01-02-2017 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Simple answer: It entirely depends on where you will be working. Without that critical piece of information, all replies are meaningless. And will you have a car or attempting to rely on public transport?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:07 AM

I will most likely be working in Scottsdale, but not for sure. I don't mind a commute, and yes I have a vehicle. Up to 30 minutes each way wouldn't bother me, so let's pretend I will be working in Scottsdale.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleistguy1670 View Post
I will most likely be working in Scottsdale, but not for sure. I don't mind a commute, and yes I have a vehicle. Up to 30 minutes each way wouldn't bother me, so let's pretend I will be working in Scottsdale.
Then live in Scottsdale. There's no "bad or ghetto" section in Scottsdale. That budget may only get you a 1/1.

Utility costs are a major budget buster; accordingly, an apartment may be a better choice than a house.

PS - I would seriously NOT sign a lease until you are positive where you will be working. Like most people, you just don't realize how spread out the Valley really is.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times
The summer heat here is just the opposite of the winter in Chicago. You cannot sit out in it. Also you limit your outside activities to early AM or late night, and being out in it makes you tired, worn down and can wear on you after so many months of it. At least in Illinois there are outdoor activities if you are into that (like snow) but here, outside activities are limited during the daylight. People do hike and some regret trying it during the day. Some need to be rescued too.

If your body thermostat is set on High, most likely you will be even more miserable here in summer than most. JMHO

Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
The summer heat here is just the opposite of the winter in Chicago. You cannot sit out in it. Also you limit your outside activities to early AM or late night, and being out in it makes you tired, worn down and can wear on you after so many months of it. At least in Illinois there are outdoor activities if you are into that (like snow) but here, outside activities are limited during the daylight. People do hike and some regret trying it during the day. Some need to be rescued too.

If your body thermostat is set on High, most likely you will be even more miserable here in summer than most. JMHO
I appreciate the opinion! I hate outdoor activites here, so honestly a few hours in the morning and night that are somewhat bearable would be better. I think I would rather 4-5 months of extreme heat over extreme cold. Who knows, maybe I will be quite tolerant to the heat...... or maybe I'll hate it's guts and end up leaving! Ha! Worth a shot and I love the sunshine down there. Always seems cloudy here especially in the winter.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Might as well live in Scottsdale IF that's where you end up working and you find something you like. The mantra here is to live relatively close to where you work. South Scottsdale is relatively lower income but hardly ghetto.

That said, if what you've read in this forum has led you to believe that you should avoid all of Mesa and Tempe, you are mistaken.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
With no specific needs other than safe and not ghetto, working in Scottsdale, the recommendation would be to live in Scottsdale. Why go elsewhere?

Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleistguy1670 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.........
It's not what you asked, but I am intimately familiar with Arizona, and have some opinions.

SEE EVERY SINGLE INCH OF THAT WONDERFUL STATE!
Have a beer with the local cowboys in Stanfield, go camping in the desert, meet the native Americans, walk to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, spend time alone in Petrified Forest, see Yuma, Gila Bend and take the desert roads to do so.
Take every tour, visit every national park and Indian ruin on the map, and find a few of your own. Hike in the hot desert (but BE CAREFUL) and revel in that sun that wants to burn right through you.
Learn a little Spanish.

And enjoy your stay or your life.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
With no specific needs other than safe and not ghetto, working in Scottsdale, the recommendation would be to live in Scottsdale. Why go elsewhere?
Was thinking I could get more for my money elsewhere and I am not working there for sure yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area