Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times

Advertisements

While so far grandfathering in has been the norm, I don't trust this will be the case in the future. I'm guessing there's some wiggle room wording in these documents to allow such a thing to make wholesale changes/dump the grandfathering down the line/anytime. For that reason alone, and given the big technological changes that are going on/will go on in regards to cost and beyond, I'll patiently wait when Tesla/some other company gets storage technology up to speed/cost and generate my solar independently down the line and not rely on decisions made by a power business pulling the strings on what will/won't impact my bottom line in regards to having solar on the roof, especially a 20 year leased system. And not rely on leasing terms/technology, which is 20 years for the most part....imagine if one has to sell a house 15-18 years down the line with technology/cost of solar that I'm guessing will be far different than today. Though in a heartbeat I'd buy outright my own panels tomorrow if the ROI was there but with our electricity use we are out something crazy like 40 years on payback. We have a very efficient hamster now powering a generating wheel generating all our low power needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,244,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You will in fact lose your grandfathering if you modify the system after the July 1st deadline. This is in the docket approved December 22nd. The reason is exactly this - APS did not want people putting a few panels up to get grandfathered and then to add more solar later.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Anyone doing solar want to give me some quotes? PM me some contact info.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Did you replace your AC units just to save electricity or did they need replacing and what was the cost of replacing both to figure out the ROI on $200 a month?
They were old and needed replacing. The company we purchased them from claimed we would save a lot on our electric bill. I didn't believe them but we needed to replace them regardless. I opted for 16 seer units. And then when we got our bills, we were shocked at how much less they were. We plan on keeping our current home for a long time. Had I known how much I would have saved (and how much better they work), I would have replaced them years ago.

I wouldn't recommend replacing relatively new perfectly fine units(less than 10 years old) just to save money but if they are old units (15-20 years or older) and you plan on living in your home for a while, I would replace them.

I'm guessing a lot of people have old units. Lot of homes were built in the 90's and have old units that use a lot of power. These new units are quieter, work better and reduce your electric bill.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:07 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,994 times
Search Tesla Solar Shingles. Pretty amazing

Old 01-26-2017, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
I highly suggest you search the Solar threads here before you get into a contract. There's a bunch of information both pro and con to solar in AZ at this time.

To make it short and sweet, for various reasons that have been gone over and over again at this point in time there is no significant upside to solar, except for the solar installation companies.

APS/SRP have attained their goal of maintaining a monopoly and that "grandfather" thing is filled with loopholes and ambiguity, I don't trust it.

When home power storage becomes financially feasible THEN solar will be something to seriously look at. That time is not here yet but isn't far away...

Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

APS/SRP have attained their goal of maintaining a monopoly and that "grandfather" thing is filled with loopholes and ambiguity, I don't trust it.
Sorry to say, but it sounds like you're playing right into APS' scheme. Don't trust the grandfathering...continue to pay us higher and higher rates.

A lot of people who don't have solar, talk about it with such knowledge as if they do. Talk to people who actually have it...and have a correct sized system and were given the correct expectations, and see if they are happy. They are the most qualified to speak on the subject I would think.

I can tell you that I love mine. $20/month year round electric bill, what's not to love. Yes, I had to pay money upfront for the system...but I would be paying that money to APS anyway, just over a longer period...and in the long term, I would be paying APS a LOT more.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
I've seen solar panels actually hurt resale values, because they are ugly and many don't want them. Be careful you're not penny wise and pound foolish. Some say that they add a few thousand to the value, I've experienced otherwise.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:13 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I've seen solar panels actually hurt resale values, because they are ugly and many don't want them. Be careful you're not penny wise and pound foolish. Some say that they add a few thousand to the value, I've experienced otherwise.
In my experience, the ones that don't want them, don't understand them. What is there not to want about paying less for electricity than you otherwise would be forced to pay anyway?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:24 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
In my experience, the ones that don't want them, don't understand them. What is there not to want about paying less for electricity than you otherwise would be forced to pay anyway?
I couldn't care less either way as an investor, at the end of the day it's about the $ going into my pocket. If by and large people don't understand them and therefore don't want them, it may end up being a poor investment in the long term. Recent history is a good indicator, and right now people aren't paying more for them, I'm seeing the opposite. I'm not saying this won't change in the future.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Sorry to say, but it sounds like you're playing right into APS' scheme. Don't trust the grandfathering...continue to pay us higher and higher rates.

A lot of people who don't have solar, talk about it with such knowledge as if they do. Talk to people who actually have it...and have a correct sized system and were given the correct expectations, and see if they are happy. They are the most qualified to speak on the subject I would think.

I can tell you that I love mine. $20/month year round electric bill, what's not to love. Yes, I had to pay money upfront for the system...but I would be paying that money to APS anyway, just over a longer period...and in the long term, I would be paying APS a LOT more.
Here's why I say I don't trust it, this grandfather thing reads like a HUGE maybe because while it does say you'll probably be grandfathered for 20 years it ALSO says that those 20 years can/will/may be on a sliding scale to 0 with no real idea of when it starts or how fast it'll go.
The other reason is the commission and their "cozy" relationship with the power company. They've not shown much interest in protecting or even helping those who have or are thinking of Solar.
The other issue is after the ability to be grandfathered in ends I suspect solar companies will fall like flies or pull out of the market as the incentive to install evaporates unless you can store power and avoid the power companies almost all together. It will not surprise me if APS/SRP move to get a law against power storage when that becomes main stream.

Hard to say who's going to be left standing, it may not be the ones who installed your system so that leaves you????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area