Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,426,309 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the valley for a few years now but the first couple years or so were pretty hectic so I didn't do much exploring. I finally have some time to socialize a little more. I live by downtown Tempe.

I basically just work, go to the gym, cook, and spend time with friends, but we never know what to do with ourselves. My best friend just moved here in May so she's even more clueless than I am. My other friends who live here are married and/or have kids so its hard to see them anyways.

what are some annual/weekly events people go to if you're at least 30, that don't involve bars where you can also make friends and meet new people? I prefer to keep it free/cheap. I'd be willing to save for something super worth it though.

So far I know there's a bunch of cool festivals coming up that are cheap. Plan on going to that BBQ fest in March in downtown Chandler.

Are there any hiking groups also? I've been told to try meetup.com but wondering if there's a local group outside of that.

I think there's a chocolate festival coming up..one in Glendale and another in North Phoenix?

Other than that, I love country music, I just don't have a lot of friends who do. Also, I'm big on further learning and personal growth, and love being outside and LOVE dancing as I grew up doing that. I'm just not sure where to look for social events that cater to this.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:35 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
So many things... where to even start. If you don't already keep an eye on New Times events and AZcentral for things to do, they'll even send you weekly emails with the top 21 things to do every week. There are some great hiking groups on Facebook and Meetup, along with kayaking, canyoneering, photography, and just about any other activity you can imagine.

Since you love country music I would suggest you checkout country thunder, if you haven't already. I believe it is the largest country music festival in the country. Also, places like the science center have adult learning nights where you can have a few drinks and learn something cool. Almost every museum in the valley has 1 free night a week, and First Friday is another interesting/free cultural experience if you haven't been. Downtown Phoenix has free movies in the park, tempe has free live music every Thur in the square, there's an endless number of farmers markets, beer festivals, music festivals, food festivals and more coming up. Obviously hiking is free, the bike share program lets you checkout a lot of the valley via canals or bike lanes for a low cost, there's a few castles in Phoenix you should find and your, Phoenix also offers home tours of its historical neighborhoods if that's of interest, the valley is home to some mansions, FLW homes and Taliesen West. Spring Training starts soon if that's of interest and you just missed a host or professional car auctions but you can always visit the weekly free car show at the pavilions in Scottsdale. There are also 2 zoos, a massive new aquarium, at least 2 botanical gardens, a Japanese friendship garden and I'm sure other things I'm missing.

Maybe that will get you started but do checkout those websites, I never have a shortage of things to do, it's always a struggle to decide which of so many ideas to go with.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
So many things... where to even start. If you don't already keep an eye on New Times events and AZcentral for things to do, they'll even send you weekly emails with the top 21 things to do every week. There are some great hiking groups on Facebook and Meetup, along with kayaking, canyoneering, photography, and just about any other activity you can imagine.

Since you love country music I would suggest you checkout country thunder, if you haven't already. I believe it is the largest country music festival in the country. Also, places like the science center have adult learning nights where you can have a few drinks and learn something cool. Almost every museum in the valley has 1 free night a week, and First Friday is another interesting/free cultural experience if you haven't been. Downtown Phoenix has free movies in the park, tempe has free live music every Thur in the square, there's an endless number of farmers markets, beer festivals, music festivals, food festivals and more coming up. Obviously hiking is free, the bike share program lets you checkout a lot of the valley via canals or bike lanes for a low cost, there's a few castles in Phoenix you should find and your, Phoenix also offers home tours of its historical neighborhoods if that's of interest, the valley is home to some mansions, FLW homes and Taliesen West. Spring Training starts soon if that's of interest and you just missed a host or professional car auctions but you can always visit the weekly free car show at the pavilions in Scottsdale. There are also 2 zoos, a massive new aquarium, at least 2 botanical gardens, a Japanese friendship garden and I'm sure other things I'm missing.

Maybe that will get you started but do checkout those websites, I never have a shortage of things to do, it's always a struggle to decide which of so many ideas to go with.
Yes, I'm very very familiar with Country thunder. I've never been able to afford to go . None of my friends can afford to go this year and this year was looking a little more hopeful in my affordability. Oh well. some day I'll go.

I wanted to go the auction but it was a bit expensive and my schedule got too hectic anyways.

Those are awesome suggestions! i'll make notes of it. I haven't signed up for the weekly emails so I'll get right on that!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Yes, I'm very very familiar with Country thunder. I've never been able to afford to go . None of my friends can afford to go this year and this year was looking a little more hopeful in my affordability. Oh well. some day I'll go.

I wanted to go the auction but it was a bit expensive and my schedule got too hectic anyways.

Those are awesome suggestions! i'll make notes of it. I haven't signed up for the weekly emails so I'll get right on that!
Glad I could help a little, I didn't quite understand the budget limitations. The New Times seems to regularly post budget friendly things to do called something like "5 things to do this week for $5 or less" here is the one from this week.

Cheap Events in Phoenix This Weekend: Storrs Objection, Ikebana, YAllapalooza | Phoenix New Times

They also publish a lot of free things to do from time to time, I remembered seeing one for 2017 and found it again here.

Free Events and Things to Do in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe 2017 | Phoenix New Times

And here's another list from Thrillist with free things to do in Phoenix, probably some of the same as New Times but a few things I'll be adding to my own list.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...-do-in-phoenix

Hopefully you find a few of interest, I tend to never run out of things to do, just free time to go do them.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:25 AM

594 posts, read 701,832 times
Can I make a suggestion that only a few will take....
CUMBIA.
You mentioned you love to dance. Learn how to dance Cumbias.
We live in the Southwest where Mexican culture plays a major part.
What rock & roll , country, r & b etc is to Americans, cumbias is to Spanish speaking people.
We're not talking salsas or stuff like that...too regimented.
CUMBIAS.
Cumbias is a big fat door if opened will take you into the world of a whole new beautiful Mexican culture that unfortunately only a few non-Spanish people get to experience.
You don't need to speak the language to enjoy it.
Go to Youtube, punch in cumbias, it's the dance easiest to learn.
15 minutes of practice is all you'll need and you will be dancing like a champ.
Just like County music and dance, people really don't go there to get picked up, they go there because they love to line dancing etc. Cumbias are the same way to Spanish people.
Young, old, short, tall, fat, skinny, everyone loves Cumbias and all they want to do is dance.
Weddings, funerals, celebrations ,whatever...Cumbias will be danced.
You will have so much fun.
Also, keep in mind there are a million places in the Valley that you can perfect your new moves to.
Live music everywhere. It's a whole new world and I guarantee your social life will benefit.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM

594 posts, read 701,832 times
I forgot one VERY important thing....
No women will ever turn down the opportunity to dance to a Cumbia.
If you go to a spot and ask a woman to dance and all the other women see that you know the dance, you want have to ask anyone else for a dance because they will knock each other over to ask YOU would you like to dance.
And if you get like me and learn Tejano, Ranchero, Corridors, Tex-Mex etc, you will be sitting on top of the world.
I'm a let you in on a little secret about me that I don't talk about....I'm one of the best dancers on the west coast.
If I told you my nickname than you'll know who I am in the world of dance.
I would rather go to the darkest Barrio, with the biggest cowboy hats, belt buckles and long skinny shoe people you can find , than the prettiest ballrooms on the planet.
I love real people who appreciate the small things we take for granted.
I will never dance in a ballroom or do a regimented dance as long as I'm on planet earth.
CUMBIAS.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
If you go to a spot and ask a woman to dance and all the other women see that you know the dance, you want have to ask anyone else for a dance because they will knock each other over to ask YOU would you like to dance.
And if you get like me and learn Tejano, Ranchero, Corridors, Tex-Mex etc, you will be sitting on top of the world.
I'm a let you in on a little secret about me that I don't talk about....I'm one of the best dancers on the west coast.
If I told you my nickname than you'll know who I am in the world of dance.
I would rather go to the darkest Barrio, with the biggest cowboy hats, belt buckles and long skinny shoe people you can find , than the prettiest ballrooms on the planet.
I love real people who appreciate the small things we take for granted.
I will never dance in a ballroom or do a regimented dance as long as I'm on planet earth.
CUMBIAS.

LOL I'm a woman...and I'm not trying to pick up chicks But Cumbia sounds really fun!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Glad I could help a little, I didn't quite understand the budget limitations. The New Times seems to regularly post budget friendly things to do called something like "5 things to do this week for $5 or less" here is the one from this week.

Cheap Events in Phoenix This Weekend: Storrs Objection, Ikebana, YAllapalooza | Phoenix New Times

They also publish a lot of free things to do from time to time, I remembered seeing one for 2017 and found it again here.

Free Events and Things to Do in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe 2017 | Phoenix New Times

And here's another list from Thrillist with free things to do in Phoenix, probably some of the same as New Times but a few things I'll be adding to my own list.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...-do-in-phoenix

Hopefully you find a few of interest, I tend to never run out of things to do, just free time to go do them.
The budget limitations is only because I have a somewhat tight budget. Those lists have some cool things in there! thank you!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 AM

83 posts, read 76,144 times
Quote:
Can I make a suggestion that only a few will take....
CUMBIA.
You mentioned you love to dance. Learn how to dance Cumbias.
We live in the Southwest where Mexican culture plays a major part.
What rock & roll , country, r & b etc is to Americans, cumbias is to Spanish speaking people.
We're not talking salsas or stuff like that...too regimented.
CUMBIAS.
Cumbias is a big fat door if opened will take you into the world of a whole new beautiful Mexican culture that unfortunately only a few non-Spanish people get to experience.
You don't need to speak the language to enjoy it.
Go to Youtube, punch in cumbias, it's the dance easiest to learn.
15 minutes of practice is all you'll need and you will be dancing like a champ.
Just like County music and dance, people really don't go there to get picked up, they go there because they love to line dancing etc. Cumbias are the same way to Spanish people.
Young, old, short, tall, fat, skinny, everyone loves Cumbias and all they want to do is dance.
Weddings, funerals, celebrations ,whatever...Cumbias will be danced.
You will have so much fun.
Also, keep in mind there are a million places in the Valley that you can perfect your new moves to.
Live music everywhere. It's a whole new world and I guarantee your social life will benefit.
That sounds fun!!!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
I would
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area