Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,875,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
He thinks he's going o get hired over the phone.

Some of the call-centers in Phoenix almost hire over the phone. If he has customer service experience that basically is entry-level call center experience.

On Country Club near Southern there are two-call centers full-time offer on the spot for $12 an hour. There is another on Juanita that offers up to $13 and then another one right next to it

There are lots of call-centers in Tempe (Inbound), Scottsdale (lots of sales floors), Chandler and Gilbert (also)

I have heard grocery stores are desperate in Phoenix for labor. Alot of the stores in the Valley are huge marketplace type stores and have large staffs.

I doubt he will have any issue finding a job in Phoenix as the area has lots of job openings.

The larger issue in Phoenix is the rents. They aren't what they were in 2013. A small apartment in a decent area of Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe will be around 800 dollars a month plus utilities which would be another 200 dollars in the summer.

There are extended stay places in Phoenix that one can move into without a deposit. Some of them in central Phoenix are as low as $200 a week but I don't know what they are like but in general a decent extended stay will be about $250 in Phoenix with utilities included.

Tucson has been a roll economically lately and has over a million people in that metro.

Tucson also has very good bus service, I have been on the bus in Tucson and it is just as good as Phoenix except they don't have a 25-mile light-rail like Phoenix.

Tucson is also very affordable. I decided to check the rental prices and a studio can be had for $400 a month in Tucson plus the summer is not nearly as warm as Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A car is a near must around here. On the other hand, in retail and services you will have a huge choice of areas to find work and housing so you might be able to manage something on/very near a bus route. It's not going to take long to find a job and minimum wage just went to ten bucks an hour too. That will help.
The cost of things is already rising to cover that $10/hr minimum so it's not as great as it sounds on paper. Might want to keep that in mind.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Compared to other large cities Phoenix isn't expensive but it's not cheap either.

People seem to forget that although mortgages and rents are reasonable, other items like vehicle expenses and utilities can be very expensive and sometimes out of reach for people with modest incomes.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:03 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,427,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Phoenix is the call-center of the country and if you have customer service experience and a decent record you can likely find a job paying $400-$500 a week with-in a week.

I-17 and Dunlap has lots of call-centers and there is lots and lots retail on Bell and in the general vicinity.
I'm networking in Phoenix and have communicated w/ potential employers.

However, I'm in a foreign country far away.

I have inside sales experience, and other phone experience.

$400-$500 per week (gross) seems to be decent for a call center job. $1600-$2000 to get started in Phoenix.

I'll google and search, but is there any other information on these jobs?

TIA.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:56 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,249,315 times
Phoenix is rather inexpensive for a large city. My recommendation would be to send out some resumes and try to get some interviews in place before you move.

Be aware that Phoenix is hot, seriously hot in the summer, so you will need to adjust to that heat and make liberal use of an ac system.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:26 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm networking in Phoenix and have communicated w/ potential employers.

However, I'm in a foreign country far away.

I have inside sales experience, and other phone experience.

$400-$500 per week (gross) seems to be decent for a call center job. $1600-$2000 to get started in Phoenix.

I'll google and search, but is there any other information on these jobs?

TIA.
What do you want to know? I've worked in a call center before and they're awful environments. As I recall, they're stressful and unstable, and I intended to leave right after graduating from college. There's a reason turnover is high. Why would you sell yourself so short? Is living in Phoenix really worth that to you? If I had to wager a guess, I'd say you're living in Asia teaching English as a second language. You could probably do slightly better financially as a teacher in Phoenix if you don't mind the work, and Arizona has had to lower standards compared to other states. Before anyone jumps down my throat at that remark, I've had teaching experience, seriously considered teaching in Arizona and have looked for teaching positions in other states, yet Arizona has fewer standards than other places. Also that pay you're speculating isn't really spectacular for Phoenix, and you'll need to be mindful of your budget.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
What do you want to know? I've worked in a call center before and they're awful environments. As I recall, they're stressful and unstable, and I intended to leave right after graduating from college. There's a reason turnover is high. Why would you sell yourself so short?
I appreciate your reply, dvxhd

I was only thinking of Call Centers as a starter job after arriving. The reason why is because when one relocates from a foreign country back to the US there are a few different things that I need to consider (for me at least).

1. The costs are higher to relocate.

I have a FICO of 811 and can get a car loan (even though I have the cash I don't like paying lost of cash for a car).

I've found short term apartments already from a visit to Phoenix in September and they'll cost more, understandably, to get started.

My job search - may or may not - take longer b/c my job is being outsourced in Asia and it does not really exist in the US. Some skills are transferable however.

I've moved from 2 cities to other cities within the US in the past. It was not difficult for me as I planned things ahead of time.

But living abroad involves some extras, and the financial downturn from 2008 to about 2013 had an affect on my confidence. I had friends and colleagues return to the US with a variety of background experience who were unable to get a job and they had to return to Asia and they had to teach. I think they were OK with returning, but when one goes to their own country and cannot find work, spends thousands, and has to return it's not good for the psyche.

That said, the US job market has improved a lot and with the U3 unemployment rate where it is, I have the confidence to find work in a decent manner of time. Hopefully, something gainful.

I have current professional references, with detailed reference letters and contact information but I think that potential employers are not willing to call overseas with a 14 hour time difference. That's just my impression, but no one has directly told me that.

Quote:
Is living in Phoenix really worth that to you?
My parents live in Tucson half of the year and they're in their 70s. I've been in Asia for more than 10 years, and although I visit once a year for a month, I'd like to live closer to them now that they're older.

Quote:
If I had to wager a guess, I'd say you're living in Asia teaching English as a second language.
I used to teach General English and then taught academic writing and test prep at Universities and private centers. I don't teach anymore but I'm in the education industry here.

[quiote]You could probably do slightly better financially as a teacher in Phoenix if you don't mind the work, and Arizona has had to lower standards compared to other states.[/quote]

I enjoyed teaching when I was doing it. I have a BA, and EFL certificate, and police clearances, but I don't have a US or AZ teacher's license and I'm not interested in going back to school to get the additional training for that certificate. Also, it seems that ESL jobs are part-time and pay low.

Quote:
Also that pay you're speculating isn't really spectacular for Phoenix, and you'll need to be mindful of your budget.
Agreed. The rents seem to have gone up and the general cost of living.

As for my living preferences as a single guy with no pets I don't need much space. I'd rather save a little more than have a larger apartment.

Thanks for your response.

Any information helps. This is a helpful forum.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
What do you want to know? I've worked in a call center before and they're awful environments. As I recall, they're stressful and unstable, and I intended to leave right after graduating from college. There's a reason turnover is high. Why would you sell yourself so short? Is living in Phoenix really worth that to you? If I had to wager a guess, I'd say you're living in Asia teaching English as a second language. You could probably do slightly better financially as a teacher in Phoenix if you don't mind the work, and Arizona has had to lower standards compared to other states. Before anyone jumps down my throat at that remark, I've had teaching experience, seriously considered teaching in Arizona and have looked for teaching positions in other states, yet Arizona has fewer standards than other places. Also that pay you're speculating isn't really spectacular for Phoenix, and you'll need to be mindful of your budget.
It depends on what kind of business the call center is.

Telemarketing centers are the worst, they're the high-stress, low-wage jobs with bad environments.

Investment-brokerage call centers tend to have better environments with higher pay, good benefits and higher satisfaction rates among their employees, although they can be high-stress jobs too.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It depends on what kind of business the call center is.

Telemarketing centers are the worst, they're the high-stress, low-wage jobs with bad environments.
I'd want to avoid these.

Quote:
Investment-brokerage call centers tend to have better environments with higher pay, good benefits and higher satisfaction rates among their employees, although they can be high-stress jobs too.
I have experience on the phones.

For a lobbyist firm we had to do a lot of phone work.

Then, I was in inside sales and later promoted to outside sales (if one wants to call that a promotion).

I'm in my mid-40s, but people say I like late 30s.

I might be too old for the Investment brokerage jobs. I assume a lot of people in their 20s are doing it.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Returning2USA...have you explored Intuit? They are down in Tucson...or if there are any opportunities with Caterpillar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area