Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,044,505 times

Advertisements

Gilbert has a reputation for wholesomeness and family-friendliness. It is said to be one of the 25 safest cities in the U.S. If you have a live-and-let-live attitude and can find a house in your price range, you'd probably do well there.

Overall, though, the goal of most Phoenicians is to limit their commute as much as possible. So to some extent where you live will depend on where your husband and daughter find jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 04:07 PM

13,476 posts, read 7,463,664 times
You mentioned you receive Disability check if you also receive SSI (Supplemental Security Income) Arizona in one of 6 states which do not pay ANY SSI.

States which do not pay ANY SSI state supplements include: West Virginia, Tennessee, North Dakota, Mississippi, Arizona and Arkansas.

If you like sun most of the time Arizona is place for you we will be hitting 80's this month most likely and 90's in march we hit 90 degrees last year on March 2 just goes up from there we cool down in November. Late December and January we see about 4 weeks of cool days lows in the 40's sometimes 20's highs in the 50-70. June - Sep 100 plus most of those days July and Aug is humid and lot of times 108-112. I suggest you rent for the first year my Brother and his family came in 2012 from Northern CA and left 2013 hated the heat, dust, constant dry hot days.

Last edited by kell490; 02-03-2017 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 04:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,939,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Sometimes I feel like this is Chicago SOUTH! I have met more people from there than anywhere else here.

My maternal grandparents moved from Chicago to Phoenix in 1930. Do you think they started a 'trend'?? I meet a lot of people up here from Illinois, and Chicago in particular. I've been in Chicago in winter, when I lived in Detroit, so I know what they are 'escaping'.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 4,821 times
I get SSDI, no state help, so when I looked it up, it said I can move it out there. Thank you We have humid weather here in the summer, like when it gets over 100 here it gets super humid, the winter is bad, sometimes it can get -30 for more. I just can't handle the cold.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Is there certain area's where scorpions are worse? Thank you. Since I already have Lyme would like to try and not get bit by anything else. The mosquito's here are killer.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,186,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Gilbert has a reputation for wholesomeness and family-friendliness. It is said to be one of the 25 safest cities in the U.S. If you have a live-and-let-live attitude and can find a house in your price range, you'd probably do well there.

Overall, though, the goal of most Phoenicians is to limit their commute as much as possible. So to some extent where you live will depend on where your husband and daughter find jobs.
Actually, Gilbert was rated the 2nd safest city in America:

As Rated by the FBI

Old 02-08-2017, 05:47 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,939,353 times
good thing there has been almost NO WINTER in Chicago this year; last snow was dec 15th, and its been in the 30's.40' and 50's pretty much every day since..
Be that as it may, we too are moving from this hell hole of a city/state/chicagoland/Illinois, and I for one cant wait, for many reasons, weather being one of them.
Yes, I traveled alot in Arizona for business over the years, so I do know what I am getting into, and to the OP, the people here are friendly, the gang issue is minimal, of course, if you go looking for trouble, you will find it ANYWHERE, and, it sounds like your health issues will make Arizona a great place for you!
As others have said, first determine where you/your family will be working, and then decide on which city to look to.

We are semi retired, so work commute isnt an issue for us, so we are trying to decide between chandler and peoria

good luck!

Old 02-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Thank you, waste 4711

Yes not much snow this year, but the cold is what gets me every time. I have a friend that lives in Chandler and she loves it. She moved from here and never wants to return.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If you like sun most of the time Arizona is place for you we will be hitting 80's this month most likely and 90's in march we hit 90 degrees last year on March 2 just goes up from there
HAH! So, now it's the 90's for all of March? Are these alternative weather stats?

Here's last years actual data day by day. We had 5 days above 90 in March 2016 the first was on March 2nd and 3rd then it went DOWN from there, back to more normal levels of 70's and 80's until 3/19 to 3/21 when we had another 3 day stretch of 90's, then it went back DOWN again to the 70's and 80's.

In April we had a whopping 6 days in the 90's. And we started May rather cool, with 5/1 being 79 versus a normal of 90... But we don't like to talk about that right? It's not negative enough.

In May we had 4 days in the 100's and 17 days in the 90s and 10 days below average, but that would be too positive to mention right?

Phoenix Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85003
Phoenix Month Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85003
Phoenix May Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85003

Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,994,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl4508 View Post
Is there certain area's where scorpions are worse? Thank you. Since I already have Lyme would like to try and not get bit by anything else. The mosquito's here are killer.
Areas of the Valley can be plagued with both mosquitos and scorpions. You'd really need to scope out places, and odd as it sounds, ask the neighbors around the property if they have problems. If they do, most likely you will, too. Same goes for skeeters. Many areas don't have problems, but areas like mine are literally swarming with them. Theyre very small mosquitos, but itch like all the rest, and are notorious for carrying West Nile virus. Not trying to scare you, just inform you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area