Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 5,093 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to the Phoenix area from Nevada so we are familiar with the desert climate and know what expect there. I will be working at the VA hospital and would like advice and decent areas to live. Our budget 300-400k with no more than 25-30min commute. Schools not important, no high HOA's please, good shopping nearby (whole foods, trader joes, theaters) would be preferable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 08:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodyb4. View Post
My wife and I are relocating to the Phoenix area from Nevada so we are familiar with the desert climate and know what expect there. I will be working at the VA hospital and would like advice and decent areas to live. Our budget 300-400k with no more than 25-30min commute. Schools not important, no high HOA's please, good shopping nearby (whole foods, trader joes, theaters) would be preferable.

Thanks!
You should live close to the VA, just North of it would be my pick if I worked in that area. I'd target the area of Central to 16th Street, North of roughly Camelback and south of roughly Glendale or maybe Northern. There's a nice renaissance happening in that area with tons of great eateries opening, there's a trader joes, whole foods and sprouts (roughly the same as trader joes) nearby, there's upscale shoping at the Biltmore and theaters there as well. Not sure if it matters or not but you'd also have tons of hiking/biking trails at phoenix mountain preserve nearly in your backyard plus being close to downtown Phoenix.

The homes in this area tend to be older, although there has been some infill development recently. The older areas have more options without HOAs, homes made out of brick (instead of standard issue stucco), and imo a lot more character. Finding something under 400k is possible but won't be as easy as the far flung suburbs or less desirable areas.

There are options though.

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/10.../home/27739626
https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/60.../home/27618044
https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/83.../home/27825314

Old 02-05-2017, 12:43 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,199,334 times
Certainly could use more detail. Besides budget, size, age, style of house desired. Also other ares of interest that are important to you. I assume since you do not want high HOA that condos & townhomes are out (there are some nice ones in N. Central)?

North Central is certainly worth a look. The homes will be older, but many have been remodeled and updated. $400K will be at the lower end of a nicely redone home. Madison Groves is a neighborhood that offers newer homes (circa 2000) but HOA is high at $195 mo. You get basic cable and front yard maintenance as part of the fee.

If you are into historic homes Encanto and North Encanto may offer some intriguing choices and you will be minutes away from work.

If you want a newer build you will likely have to look further north probably along the Rte 51 corridor. If you are willing to push your commute a few minutes you can look in the Desert Ridge area. There will be some nice choices there.

Here are some examples of N. Phoenix homes in your price range: N. Phoenix Homes

Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 5,093 times
Thanks first of all. We could go up to 500k if house perfect fit. Would like home age no more than 20 years old 1500-2000 sq Ft. HOA no more than 50/mo. Preferably. we have dogs so No condo, townhomes. I will need to be no further than 30 min from VA. Commute so would 10-15 mi. seem reasonable with traffic there? What about Biltmore, Arcadia, Paradise Valley areas?

Old 02-05-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodyb4. View Post
Thanks first of all. We could go up to 500k if house perfect fit. Would like home age no more than 20 years old 1500-2000 sq Ft. HOA no more than 50/mo. Preferably. we have dogs so No condo, townhomes. I will need to be no further than 30 min from VA. Commute so would 10-15 mi. seem reasonable with traffic there? What about Biltmore, Arcadia, Paradise Valley areas?
Oh, if you can go to 500K then yeah, look around the Biltmore area. The places I mentioned before are probably older then 20 years but that avoids an HOA, newer subdivisions will almost always have an HOA but may or may not be over $50 per month depending on the amenities offered.

You could probably get away with Arcadia and PV and be right around 30 minutes taking a surface street like Camelback or Indian School over to the VA. I'm not sure how much you'll find for under $500K in PV though, I could be wrong (I've never looked too closely since that's way over my budget) but my impression is 500K doesn't go too far in PV proper. Arcadia isn't quite as bad but it's still close.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:47 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Oh, if you can go to 500K then yeah, look around the Biltmore area. The places I mentioned before are probably older then 20 years but that avoids an HOA, newer subdivisions will almost always have an HOA but may or may not be over $50 per month depending on the amenities offered.

You could probably get away with Arcadia and PV and be right around 30 minutes taking a surface street like Camelback or Indian School over to the VA. I'm not sure how much you'll find for under $500K in PV though, I could be wrong (I've never looked too closely since that's way over my budget) but my impression is 500K doesn't go too far in PV proper. Arcadia isn't quite as bad but it's still close.

In PV proper you won't see much of anything at that price. Off the western and southern fringes of Arcadia, perhaps. Those homes will be older, but most have had some remodeling, and were really well built to start with.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:41 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,323 times
You probably know its at indian school & 3rd ave-7th ave. You have a healthy budget for phoenix. You really should only worry about North (not past Northern) to East of the hospital (west of the loop 101). Your best bet is the camelback/Biltmore/arcadia/paradise valley area. If I had that budget I would be looking between the 51 and east of it to the 101, north of camelback south of Shea.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
You probably know its at indian school & 3rd ave-7th ave. You have a healthy budget for phoenix. You really should only worry about North (not past Northern) to East of the hospital (west of the loop 101). Your best bet is the camelback/Biltmore/arcadia/paradise valley area. If I had that budget I would be looking between the 51 and east of it to the 101, north of camelback south of Shea.
You mean 3rd st - 7th st.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You mean 3rd st - 7th st.
yes.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 589 times
BIG HElP. I will begin my Zillow search and go from there. Is Tempe too far commute from VA traffic wise. Prices seem fair there. Why is west PHX to be avoided in search? Crime? Commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area