Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:15 AM

239 posts, read 308,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I have a problem with this statement ....Because its natural scenery is fairly nondescript,.... Excuse me, but IMO and sure others will agree that the natural scenery is amazing here. I just don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. Yes I saw the part about varied terrain in Austin, but still Phoenix nondescript?
Yes! I never understand why people always talk about how Austin has the Hill Country, when in reality the hills are to the west and they are out-of-reach for most people to live. What I liked about Phoenix is that I could see the mountain from most points around the Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I'll preface wife and I have good friend couple that moved to Austin 2 years ago after many years in Scottsdale and they do like Austin much better although some of that could be because they are originally from Texas.

My thoughts are that I prefer the vibe in Phoenix more and I also prefer the Phoenix climate and terrain of the area. Austin seems more intense and probably offers a better income versus cost for most. Phoenix is twice as big at least and has a better road system.

If it were me, I would choose Phoenix, in fact, I might move there one day.
Exactly my sentiments! In my opinion the vibe of Phoenix is a lot more West Coast chill (like some parts of the coast), whereas Austin really has no vibe, despite what some might say about it being eclectic. The eclectic, chill Austin is long gone. The roads are definitely well-planned, unlike most Texas roads, especially ATX.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It might be better than Austin, but its hardly "good". Rush hour here (especially the 10 near the tunnel area) can be absolutely horrible. Many areas of the 17 (namely 75th Ave and East towards downtown) are crap. The 51 and 101 also have areas that are notorious for horrific traffic. It gets so bad that I usually take surface streets home, bypassing all the crap on the 51. Ill jump on the 51 at Bethany Home, Glendale Rd, or Northern Ave because that's when the traffic is usually moving well again. Then it can and does get backed up close to Thunderbird lately, too.
Okay, I know they're not perfect in Phoenix but any city of size will have some traffic at certain times of day in bottle-neck areas. I'm from Reno, which only has about 500,000 people in the metro area and while most of the freeways run smooth, there is an interchange at I-80 and the 580 that is always backed up. So the fact that Phoenix only has a few problem spots is amazing, unlike Austin or the LA area which are always red whenever you look at traffic maps.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,005,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
Okay, I know they're not perfect in Phoenix but any city of size will have some traffic at certain times of day in bottle-neck areas. I'm from Reno, which only has about 500,000 people in the metro area and while most of the freeways run smooth, there is an interchange at I-80 and the 580 that is always backed up. So the fact that Phoenix only has a few problem spots is amazing, unlike Austin or the LA area which are always red whenever you look at traffic maps.
There are many more that Im missing, trust me. But I agree, on the whole Valley traffic isn't super horrid. Yet.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yet.
That's the problem is even places with the best planned freeways, and cities won't be able to keep up if people keep on moving in and driving. One thing I really like about Phoenix is that Valley Metro, along with the city are working together to improve public transit along main corridors by putting in light rail systems, bike lanes, etc.. this in turn makes people drive cars less. Austin has one light rail line no one uses because it goes to obscure places, and every time there is a proposal to expand the city, as well as NIMBY's who have been in Austin forever, vote against it and nothing ever happens. Then they all wonder why we have traffic problems on SloPac, and I-35.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 AM

189 posts, read 232,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Well I've spent several years in both cities and agree with that OP you guys are criticising.

All his points on how Austin is superior to Phoenix are true. Austin is the classier and cooler...In more ways than one!...City, hands down. Phoenix doesn't have one single attribute over Austin.

If you think I'm wrong, then name something. And we'll see.

There is a reason more people move to Austin than any other place in the nation, and have been for years. I also venture to say neither you or the sun devil dude above your post ever spent much time in Austin.

Adios.
More to add to Loco's list based on the replies above.

- Public Transportation and the successful light rail line
- Voted best Pizza City in the US (according to Travel & Leisure)

Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 AM

555 posts, read 866,778 times
what happened to LAX star?

Old 02-09-2017, 04:03 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
what happened to LAX star?
Good question!?

Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 PM

375 posts, read 299,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Easy.

Fortune 1000 Companies HQ in Metro
Phoenix 16
Austin 3

Big 4 Pro Sports Teams
Phoenix 4
Austin 0

Population Growth in 2015
Metro Phoenix 88,000
Metro Austin 57,000

Population Growth since 2010
Metro Phoenix 370,000
Metro Austin 284,000

Metro GDP Rank
Phoenix 13th
Austin 32nd

Cultural Attractions per Capita
Phoenix #14 one per 4,727 people
Austin didn't make the list

Most fun cities:
Phoenix Metro: 2 in the top 20
Austin: 32nd
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-c...-the-us/23455/

Best hiking cities:
Phoenix 6th
Austin 10th

Austin does have Phoenix beat for traffic:
Austin Congestion Levels 22%
Phoenix: 12%
TomTom Traffic Index

You make population growth, which means more traffic, btw, sound like a good thing! That's nuts. The one thing I don't like about Austin is how big it has gotten.

U.S. News and World Report just named Austin the #1 city in the entire Nation to live in. Austin has been # 1 so many times on so many polls I have lost count.

Pro sports teams? Meh. We have college sports and semi pro. So what. Pro sports is better watched on TV anyway. And all your pro teams blow. Dbacks and suns are cellar dwellers. The Cards choked big time this year. And the coyotes? Really? LOL.

Austin is a hiker, runner and bikers paradise. We have woods and forests and a river in our city. You have none of that. Your crime rate is also one of the worst if not the worst among large western cities.

I wouldn't move to Phoenix for anything. Truly. Too hot, to big, too little charm, zero character. And all your growth is just sprawl. There is a difference between positive growth and depressing and sterile sprawl.

I also like the seasons, and rain once in awhile! LOL.

http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pre...places-to-live

Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM

594 posts, read 702,719 times
Dallas,Fort Worth /Phoenix is a better comparison than Phoenix/ Austin.

As for choosing between the two....I'll take the same choice the TEXAS RANGERS did.
And I will be attending many games this spring in....Phoenix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area