Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 AM

239 posts, read 305,017 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I am looking at possibly moving to Phoenix from Austin and I have questions. Have any of you that now live in the Phoenix area moved from Austin, and if so what are the pros and cons? Also do you find Phoenix to be cheaper than the Austin area, even though AZ has state income-tax and TX does not?

One thing that I might add is that I am originally from Nevada so I'm used to the desert and everything that comes along with it. I just am curious to see how the QOL in AZ compares to TX for day-to-day living.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Hello! I moved from Phoenix to Austin and back. Austin is a beautiful city, but it wasn't for us. Phoenix may be a tad cheaper than Austin, but not by much. Housing is cheaper here for sure as the cost of living in Austin is skyrocketing. Since you lived in Nevada you already know it is much drier here than Austin. We have mountains and plenty of hiking and outdoor activities all year around.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Austin and Phoenix are very different cities, IMO.

Regarding climate, Austin has more in the way of a four-seasons climate - trees defoliate in late fall / early winter, frost is more common during winter evenings and early mornings, flowers and trees bud and bloom in the springtime, etc.

Although still quite rare, Austin is more susceptible to snow and ice than Phoenix because winters tend to be cooler and wetter in Austin.

While summers in Austin can get quite hot, the heat you find in Central Texas pales in comparison to the unrelenting high heat you find in the Phoenix Valley. Relative to Phoenix, there are more ways to cool off in Austin, including lakes, swimming holes and natural springs in addition to natural shade.

People in Austin seem to be less "heat-adverse," too. For anyone who has spent any amount of time in Austin during the summer months, this is very apparent.

You certainly see more joggers / walkers / hikers / bikers, children playing in their yards or at parks, people dining "al fresco," etc. in Austin during the summertime. Not to mention there seems to be more in the way of summer festivals and other events in Austin.

If I had to wager, this is probably the result of Austin's slightly cooler summer weather coupled with the fact that most people who live in and around Austin are probably from Texas or neighboring states whereas most people living in Phoenix are originally from California, New England or the Midwest.

By comparison, Phoenix is practically dead-zone from May to September - far fewer cars on the road, much shorter wait times at restaurants / banks / post offices / physician offices, zero community events or festivals, doors and tinted windows shut tightly, etc.

IMO, Austin is a more aesthetically pleasing city at eye-level, which is due to the region having more trees and greenery than very arid Phoenix.

Although Phoenix is situated in the Sonoran Desert, its vegetation is more sparse than nearby Tucson, which is home to gorgeous Saguaro cacti, mesquite trees, an assortment of wildflowers, etc. The mountain vistas are not as dramatic in Phoenix relative to Tucson, either.

Because its natural scenery is fairly nondescript, Phoenix is landscaped to death. This gives the city a very manicured yet contrived and sterile look. Some people enjoy it, but most, especially city-slickers, do not.

In Austin and its vicinity, residential neighborhoods tend to have hillier, more varied terrain. Aside from Fountain Hills, most neighborhoods and suburbs of Phoenix are very flat.

House lots tend to be larger in Austin, too, so there is usually greater distance between neighboring houses. One thing I strongly dislike about the Southwest, including Southern California, is that homes tend to be very close together in suburban neighborhoods, especially newer ones.

People are better educated in Austin, too, which partly the result of UT's presence and the knowledge-based industries it attracts. Among large US cities, I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix had the highest rate of high school dropouts (lots of white trash and poor Mexicans living in Phoenix).

While people in Phoenix / Arizona are typically polite, people in Austin / Texas tend to be more polite and certainly friendlier and more outgoing. Phoenix, in particular Scottsdale, tends to attract a more hedonistic type of transplant who will easily turn their nose up at you if you don't look a certain way, drive a certain car, etc. People of other parts of Phoenix will seem aloof if you're accustomed to Southern hospitality.

Austin has a stronger hipster element, but outside of the central city, most of Austin is good old-fashioned Texas.

Texas has no state income tax, more competitive salaries / wages for professional and skilled work and a stronger, more diversified economy, so it's a better state than Arizona for the average worker. Phoenix is the epitome of a FIRE town.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope this helps!

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 02-08-2017 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM

189 posts, read 230,788 times
^^ holy crap...you must work for Austin Chamber of Commerce LOL

Old 02-08-2017, 01:13 PM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
No kidding. Id venture to guess the poster hasn't spent much time here.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

Regarding climate, Austin has more in the way of a four-seasons climate - trees defoliate in late fall / early winter, frost is more common during winter evenings and early mornings, flowers and trees bud and bloom in the springtime, etc.

Although still quite rare, Austin is more susceptible to snow and ice than Phoenix because winters tend to be cooler and wetter in Austin.

While summers in Austin can get quite hot, the heat you find in Central Texas pales in comparison to the unrelenting high heat you find in the Phoenix Valley. Relative to Phoenix, there are more ways to cool off in Austin, including lakes, swimming holes and natural springs in addition to natural shade.

People in Austin seem to be less "heat-adverse," too. For anyone who has spent any amount of time in Austin during the summer months, this is very apparent.

You certainly see more joggers / walkers / hikers / bikers, children playing in their yards or at parks, people dining "al fresco," etc. in Austin during the summertime. Not to mention there seems to be more in the way of summer festivals and other events in Austin.

If I had to wager, this is probably the result of Austin's slightly cooler summer weather coupled with the fact that most people who live in and around Austin are probably from Texas or neighboring states whereas most people living in Phoenix are originally from California, New England or the Midwest.

By comparison, Phoenix is practically dead-zone from May to September - far fewer cars on the road, much shorter wait times at restaurants / banks / post offices / physician offices, zero community events or festivals, doors and tinted windows shut tightly, etc.

IMO, Austin is a more aesthetically pleasing city at eye-level, which is due to the region having more trees and greenery than very arid Phoenix.

Although Phoenix is situated in the Sonoran Desert, its vegetation is more sparse than nearby Tucson, which is home to gorgeous Saguaro cacti, mesquite trees, an assortment of wildflowers, etc. The mountain vistas are not as dramatic in Phoenix relative to Tucson, either.

Because its natural scenery is fairly nondescript, Phoenix is landscaped to death. This gives the city a very manicured yet contrived and sterile look. Some people enjoy it, but most, especially city-slickers, do not.

In Austin and its vicinity, residential neighborhoods tend to have hillier, more varied terrain. Aside from Fountain Hills, most neighborhoods and suburbs of Phoenix are very flat.

House lots tend to be larger in Austin, too, so there is usually greater distance between neighboring houses. One thing I strongly dislike about the Southwest, including Southern California, is that homes tend to be very close together in suburban neighborhoods, especially newer ones.

People are better educated in Austin, too, which partly the result of UT's presence and the knowledge-based industries it attracts. Among large US cities, I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix had the highest rate of high school dropouts (lots of white trash and poor Mexicans living in Phoenix).

While people in Phoenix / Arizona are typically polite, people in Austin / Texas tend to be more polite and certainly friendlier and more outgoing. Phoenix, in particular Scottsdale, tends to attract a more hedonistic type of transplant who will easily turn their nose up at you if you don't look a certain way, drive a certain car, etc. People of other parts of Phoenix will seem aloof if you're accustomed to Southern hospitality.

Austin has a stronger hipster element, but outside of the central city, most of Austin is good old-fashioned Texas.

Texas has no state income tax, more competitive salaries / wages for professional and skilled work and a stronger, more diversified economy, so it's a better state than Arizona for the average worker. Phoenix is the epitome of a FIRE town.

Wow! You really are good at making Phoenix sound like a hellhole. You even make Austin sound nice, and I live here! I know how it really is though.

One thing that I may add about my experience in desert heat (I am from Nevada) is that it's often not as unbearable because, as cliche as it may sound, it is a dry heat. So when it's 110 in Phoenix, it would feel like 85-90 in Austin. Let's just say that this last summer when I was in AZ, I was able to go on runs in the morning because I wasn't being eaten alive by bugs, and I was also able to tolerate the heat because it was dry.

I've also considered Tucson before but one thing I didn't care for is the lack of landscaping, most of the city seems to be very wild. That could be a good thing or bad thing, depending on the person.

Thanks for your input!

Old 02-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
You'd be correct! I've only been there a couple dozen times, usually not for long though. The only thing that I'm basing any of my knowledge of Arizona off of is the times I have been there as well as research, and my dad because he lived in Tucson for 5 years when he was in college.

I see that you live in Scottsdale, my family had some investment properties there. How do you like it?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:13 PM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
You'd be correct! I've only been there a couple dozen times, usually not for long though. The only thing that I'm basing any of my knowledge of Arizona off of is the times I have been there as well as research, and my dad because he lived in Tucson for 5 years when he was in college.

I see that you live in Scottsdale, my family had some investment properties there. How do you like it?
Been here 8 years. Moved from Chicago. Love it.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

Translation, Austin has hot summers and cold winters. Phoenix has hot summers and awesome weather the rest of the year. Phoenix is about to start blooming now, Google Phoenix wildflowers and you'll see how vibrant the colors of the Sonoran desert are.

a very typical exaggeration of summer here. Unlike this poster I actually do hike and cycle year round and it's far from empty on the trails during the summer mornings.

Maybe if you live in a snowbird community, in Tempe, Scottsdale and Phoenix the best restaurants stop have waits, I still hit traffic every morning, wait in line for haircuts and so on...

Although Phoenix is situated in the Sonoran Desert, its vegetation is more sparse than nearby Tucson, which is home to gorgeous Saguaro cacti, mesquite trees, an assortment of wildflowers, etc. The mountain vistas are not as dramatic in Phoenix relative to Tucson, eithe

were situated smack dab in the middle of the Sonoran desert with some of the most beautiful and unique flora and fauna you can find in the US. This is just silly

Clearly another person who likes to generalize and make racial claims, total nonesense

If this post didn't make it obvious, Phoenix has it's fair share of haters who love to make everything sound as negative as possible.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:28 PM

375 posts, read 296,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Well I've spent several years in both cities and agree with that OP you guys are criticising.

All his points on how Austin is superior to Phoenix are true. Austin is the classier and cooler...In more ways than one!...City, hands down. Phoenix doesn't have one single attribute over Austin.

If you think I'm wrong, then name something. And we'll see.

There is a reason more people move to Austin than any other place in the nation, and have been for years. I also venture to say neither you or the sun devil dude above your post ever spent much time in Austin.

Adios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area