Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:51 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
You realize that those posts are almost two years apart from each other, right?

And here I thought this was yet another legalization thread, hehe.
The OP posted this thread yesterday at least that is what it says unless I'm missing something I don't see any 2 year old posts here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 11:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The OP posted this thread yesterday at least that is what it says unless I'm missing something I don't see any 2 year old posts here?
He was reacting to https://www.city-data.com/forum/47161438-post18.html where I compared a two year old comment to a current one. I couldn't resist the contrast where in one case people were morons if they had a lawn and in the other case she had a lawn.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
He was reacting to https://www.city-data.com/forum/47161438-post18.html where I compared a two year old comment to a current one. I couldn't resist the contrast where in one case people were morons if they had a lawn and in the other case she had a lawn.
I still think lawns are ridiculous here. I HATE that the house I bought has grass. It's the biggest downside of the place, but because it can be changed, it didn't stop me from buying the place that otherwise had everything I wanted. Removing grass from a lot that is nearly 9000 sq ft and replacing it with desert landscaping is my ultimate goal, but it's quite expensive and while it is something I am going to do eventually, it's not #1 on my list of home improvements at this time. In the meantime I have a lawn I didn't want, don't water, and just deal with for the time being. The "point" you were so desperately trying to make here is completely irrelevant to anything, not to mention moot and the time spent tracking down that over 2 year old post was a complete waste of time.

Back to the OP's questions. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2017, 04:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
I kind of see PBenajmin and Elle's posts as a useful meditation on the vagaries of life and what we want in a perfect world versus what we're willing to tolerate given the constraints of the real world. Kind of like all the new posters we get who want great schools, a safe neighborhood and X commute time on a smaller budget...they are going to have to make some compromises, but which ones should they and will they be?

Perhaps Elle just wants a rock lawn so that the maximum amount of nighttime heat radiance can occur. Speaking of which, I don't like most household pests but I love it when I see lizards in and around my house. Fun, beautiful animals who love rocks and other things that retain heat.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I kind of see PBenajmin and Elle's posts as a useful meditation on the vagaries of life and what we want in a perfect world versus what we're willing to tolerate given the constraints of the real world. Kind of like all the new posters we get who want great schools, a safe neighborhood and X commute time on a smaller budget...they are going to have to make some compromises, but which ones should they and will they be?

Perhaps Elle just wants a rock lawn so that the maximum amount of nighttime heat radiance can occur. Speaking of which, I don't like most household pests but I love it when I see lizards in and around my house. Fun, beautiful animals who love rocks and other things that retain heat.
I find lawns to be a complete waste of water here (not to mention the expense of watering most of the year as we don't get free water from the sky often enough to keep it hydrated) and that didn't change when I bought a house that happened to have grass. Also I don't want to be mowing the grass when it is 110 degrees. I've owned enough houses in my lifetime with lawns in other parts of the country that required weekly mowing and constant maintenance, all of which I always did myself. I don't want to do that anymore. And now that you mention it, I rarely see lizards anymore.

It's funny, too, because when I look at Google Earth of my property I can see that a couple of years ago when the last shot from was taken, my house had NO grass. It seems they likely went to a lot of time and expense to put in a lush, green lawn to list the property for sale including irrigation lines. My realtor was excited about the grass saying I needed it for the dogs and was a bit surprised when I said that I would rip it out eventually. One of the very first things I did when I got the key was turn off the watering. My dogs don't care. They prefer the one are that is ROCK to potty and one of them sunbathes on the concrete.

The OP wants grass, and that's his choice. I do think it is important to know the pros and cons. I literally just had this conversation the other day with someone at work. I was saying that I had grass I hated and they were saying they wish they had grass. When I said it's not fun to mow when it is over 100, he paused and said "Oh yeah. Good point." Grass might look nice but it is a lot more work here than in wetter parts of the country, IMO.

Last edited by ElleTea; 02-13-2017 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I find lawns to be a complete waste of water here (not to mention the expense of watering most of the year as we don't get free water from the sky often enough to keep it hydrated) and that didn't change when I bought a house that happened to have grass. Also I don't want to be mowing the grass when it is 110 degrees. I've owned enough houses in my lifetime with lawns in other parts of the country that required weekly mowing and constant maintenance, all of which I always did myself. I don't want to do that anymore. And now that you mention it, I rarely see lizards anymore.

It's funny, too, because when I look at Google Earth of my property I can see that a couple of years ago when the last shot from was taken, my house had NO grass. It seems they likely went to a lot of time and expense to put in a lush, green lawn to list the property for sale including irrigation lines. My realtor was excited about the grass saying I needed it for the dogs and was a bit surprised when I said that I would rip it out eventually. One of the very first things I did when I got the key was turn off the watering. My dogs don't care. They prefer the one are that is ROCK to potty and one of them sunbathes on the concrete.

The OP wants grass, and that's his choice. I do think it is important to know the pros and cons. I literally just had this conversation the other day with someone at work. I was saying that I had grass I hated and they were saying they wish they had grass. When I said it's not fun to mow when it is over 100, he paused and said "Oh yeah. Good point." Grass might look nice but it is a lot more work here than in wetter parts of the country, IMO.
Just about everyone in my neighborhood has landscapers do the yard work for them, whether they have grass or desert landscaping and the cost difference is negligible IMO. I have grass and mowing in 110° weather doesn't exist in my world. When it's 110° I will be in the pool

Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Just about everyone in my neighborhood has landscapers do the yard work for them, whether they have grass or desert landscaping and the cost difference is negligible IMO. I have grass and mowing in 110° weather doesn't exist in my world. When it's 110° I will be in the pool
My budget doesn't allow to pay landscapers (and I have trouble paying other people to do things I can technically do myself), but there is no argument that desert landscaping is MUCH less work than grass, period, regardless of who does it. But not everyone has that disposable income.

The only plus of mowing when it is 110 is you can jump in the pool after. This time of year, not so much. I've already mowed once and it needs it again already without watering. UGH.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My budget doesn't allow to pay landscapers (and I have trouble paying other people to do things I can technically do myself), but there is no argument that desert landscaping is MUCH less work than grass, period, regardless of who does it. But not everyone has that disposable income.

The only plus of mowing when it is 110 is you can jump in the pool after. This time of year, not so much. I've already mowed once and it needs it again already without watering. UGH.

It actually just depends on what your time is worth. I own a business and can make more money when I work longer, and I can make more in the 20-25 minutes it takes them to finish the yard (would take me more like 1.5 hours + each time to get it to look as good). I pay $45 every 2 weeks which is likely on the low side because he does about a dozen properties in my little area on the same visit (economies of scale at work). I like to be able to enjoy my house and yard whenever the weekend starts, so I exclude yard work from my list of responsibilities.

Contrary to what you think, desert is actually NOT much less work than grass, period. I have rentals with no grass, but they have substantially more bushes and shrubs, etc. (can't just have 500 Sq Ft of gravel, right?). It takes just as much time/effort/money to constantly keep up on trimming the shrubs and picking up the clippings as it does to mow a couple lawns.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't even own a mower. The cost to have someone else do it is negligible.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't even own a mower. The cost to have someone else do it is negligible.
Yep me neither. It gives me more garage space for other things. I have rakes, shovels and an electric leaf blower/clippers but that's it for yard tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area