Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't even own a mower. The cost to have someone else do it is negligible.
I like doing yardwork. I probably look like a lunatic based on how OCD I am about my hard looking perfect. It's my break from doing real work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It actually just depends on what your time is worth. I own a business and can make more money when I work longer, and I can make more in the 20-25 minutes it takes them to finish the yard (would take me more like 1.5 hours + each time to get it to look as good). I pay $45 every 2 weeks which is likely on the low side because he does about a dozen properties in my little area on the same visit (economies of scale at work). I like to be able to enjoy my house and yard whenever the weekend starts, so I exclude yard work from my list of responsibilities.

Contrary to what you think, desert is actually NOT much less work than grass, period. I have rentals with no grass, but they have substantially more bushes and shrubs, etc. (can't just have 500 Sq Ft of gravel, right?). It takes just as much time/effort/money to constantly keep up on trimming the shrubs and picking up the clippings as it does to mow a couple lawns.
I'm mowing weekly right now, it's growing like crazy even without being watered. I have a big yard (about 9000 sq ft) that takes time to mow and edge. That is definitely a lot more time than I would spend with rock/gravel and some bushes (which I have little of and won't add once the grass is gone). Nearly $100 a month to pay someone else to do it is too much for me, but even if I had that kind of extra cash just laying around I'd use it toward other projects first.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:00 PM

105 posts, read 287,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
No, there is no grass that is green year-round here. Is your house landscaped? Was there a time in October where your lawn got cut really short and they were watering it a lot for a week? If so, they were putting in a winter lawn.

Basically the bermuda lives forever, but is dormant in the winter. The rye grass has to be planted every fall (October usually) by scalping the lawn and laying down a lot of seed and some fertilizer. As it gets hot again, the rye will start to look patchy and more yellow and pretty soon you'll see the thicker, green bermuda grass start to come back and fill in the lawn. If you fertilize it comes back stronger/quicker but it'll come back either way, just like dormant bermuda lawns that didn't get overseeded in the winter.

Here are a couple nice links I found:

About fall over-seeding with rye

About spring transition back to bermuda

I hope this helps.
We are responsible for the landscaping and never changed the grass. The lawn is much more lush looking now, but was still green this past summer. Like I said though, I have no idea what kind of grass it is since it's just a rental and we moved here in July. Thanks for the like thought - we are building and trying to figure out what to do with our small yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area