Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:19 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Although not all of it goes to Phoenix, some 1.3million acre feet is delivered via CAP and some 2.8million acre feet is available to Arizona from the Colorado River. The only state that comes close is California in terms of rights to the river. Unfortunately we subordinated ourselves to California to build the CAP canals.
Actually the subordination occurred much earlier when Arizona did not agree to the Colorado River Compact, fought it in fact, until years after California and Nevada had agreed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Actually the subordination occurred much earlier when Arizona did not agree to the Colorado River Compact, fought it in fact, until years after California and Nevada had agreed to it.
No not quite. You are correct that Arizona did not agree to it, but that was not what subordinated CAPs allocation to California. SCOTUS reaffirmed the allocation of water in Arizona v. California despite the Compact not being agreed to.

SCOTUS apportioned 4.4MAF to CA; 2.8 MAF to AZ; and 0.3 MAF to NV. It also held that in times of shortage the reductions in water deliveries should be proportional to the numbers above--i.e. Arizona would take a 2.8/7.5 proportional cut in water; CA would take a 4.4/7.5; and NV would take a 0.3/7.5 cut.
373 U.S. 546, 592-93.

In 1968, Congress passed the Colorado River Basin Project Act, which allocated funding for the Central Arizona Project canals.

"Each contract under which water is provided under the Central Arizona Project . . . shall be subordinate at all times to the satisfaction of all existing contracts between the Secretary and users in Arizona heretofore made pursuant to the Boulder Canyon Project Act." S 304(d).
https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g1000...es/crbproj.pdf

"Th[e Colorado River Basin Project] Act authorized construction of a number of water development projects in both the upper and lower basins, including the Central Arizona Project (CAP). It also made the priority of the CAP water supply subordinate to California's apportionment in times of shortage, and directed the Secretary to prepare, in consultation with the Colorado River Basin states, long-range operating criteria for the Colorado River reservoir system."
https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g1000/lawofrvr.html

The subordination was to get California on board with allowing Arizona to receive federal funding for the canals.

"In 1968, in return for political support from California to win federal funding for the Central Arizona Project, Arizona cut a deal: California would not block the project, which would use federal money to build a canal to carry 1.6 million acre feet of water per year up from the Colorado River and into Phoenix and Tucson. In return, Arizona would agree to subordinate its priority for the 1.6 maf water to California’s."
1,075: What a Lake Mead "shortage" would mean in practice - jfleck at inkstain

1.6 of the 2.8 we are allocated is first in line for cuts, that 1.6 serves Central/Southern AZ. This is bad in that it's first for cuts but good in that before CAP Arizona was using less than 1/2 of its proper allocation.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM

120 posts, read 168,093 times
Didn't read the whole thread yet but.....

I don't think Phoenix needs to do much of anything to stand out from the crowd. They already do, hence why millions of people tooknotice over the last few decades and moved down there. Must be doing something right to get noticed by so many people!

For me personally I think it is great how it is! The cool thing is Phoenix is still developing her identity and for that to happen it needs to happen organically.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:47 PM

226 posts, read 228,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
I don't think Phoenix needs to do much of anything to stand out from the crowd. They already do, hence why millions of people tooknotice over the last few decades and moved down there. Must be doing something right to get noticed by so many people!

Exactly! Phoenix would not be one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. if it wasn't doing something right. Otherwise, why would all those people come here?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Exactly! Phoenix would not be one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. if it wasn't doing something right. Otherwise, why would all those people come here?
I agree but all we need is another SB 1070 kind of controversy to put negative attention on Arizona, and Phoenix could suffer economically from boycotts, cancelled conventions, and whatnot.

As long as Arizona stays clear of those heated political issues that divide us or portray us as a backwater, I think residents and businesses alike will want to keep coming here and the MSA will continue to prosper.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,074,998 times
Ways to stand out in the crowd? How about if Arizona finally gets its ass in gear and bans texting while driving. Believe it or not, it's still legal here (one of only a few left.) This kind of stuff makes us look like morons to the nation.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:42 AM

14,075 posts, read 8,226,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
The Phoenix metro has a lot to offer especially with regards to housing. The area also has a live and let live attitude.

I'm from California and have spent a lot of time in both San Francisco and San Diego.

I could see 15 years back that California was becoming a have or have not state.

Today the vibe in San Francisco for example has become increasingly unpleasant because the cost of living is ridiculous high. You've got people in their thirties living like college kids with three or four to an apartment.

Sure I like the weather in sf and the fact you don't need a car but come on... $3300 or more for a three bed apartment?

Forget it

My mother moved from San Diego where she was paying $1425 for a two bedroom apartment in the Hillcrest area. Nice area but for $1200 she gets a three bedroom home in Mesa. She has a garage to park the car and doesn't have to share a laundry room with 20 other residents.

She couldn't be happier. Family across the street introduced themselves and seeing she lives alone invite her to Thanksgiving dinner.

Neighborhood is quiet and very safe. Church and Frys maybe five minutes away.

Last edited by john3232; 06-04-2017 at 05:16 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Ways to stand out in the crowd? How about if Arizona finally gets its ass in gear and bans texting while driving. Believe it or not, it's still legal here (one of only a few left.) This kind of stuff makes us look like morons to the nation.
I totally agree but I think the prevalent libertarian attitude here prevents more laws from passage even if they are necessary to increase public safety.

The state government seems more interested in mainly saving unborn lives, everyone else's life is an afterthought I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area