Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Uh, Central & Jefferson is actually really nice now. That was several years ago that it used to be a bum hangout. Take a look at it now! https://goo.gl/maps/1hivouP9qFA2
Uhhhh, I live here. I know what it looks like. Yes, its nice, but there are still too many transients. Next time you're at that intersection, look at the SE corner of Central and Jefferson, just across the street from where the construction site is. There are always bums over there, sleeping on the sidewalk, panhandling, begging for cigarettes. Its actually been getting worse the last few weeks. I think they walk up there from their bridge hangout, since its so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:45 AM

445 posts, read 516,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Yeah, I do. There are a bunch of transients in that area 24/7 due that that shelter and others nearby. Idk if you have ever been there...But if you haven't, go there, get out of your car for over 5 minutes and then post back if you don't think it's the "scariest" part of the city. Not trying to demonize the homeless, but I have been there. It's worse than any gang neighborhood in the whole city IMO.
I've been on that block. I haven't spent significant time out of my car on foot right there, but I wouldn't be too concerned about doing so. I'd probably be concerned about my car getting broken into if left unattended for just about any length of time, and I'd probably prepare to have multiple people ask me for money with varying levels of assertiveness. But none of that is going to make me think of that block as the scariest part of the city. I'm not sure if you're worried about getting jumped by a mob of homeless people but I don't consider that possibility to be very likely.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Uhhhh, I live here. I know what it looks like. Yes, its nice, but there are still too many transients. Next time you're at that intersection, look at the SE corner of Central and Jefferson, just across the street from where the construction site is. There are always bums over there, sleeping on the sidewalk, panhandling, begging for cigarettes. Its actually been getting worse the last few weeks. I think they walk up there from their bridge hangout, since its so close.
Why should we go out of our way to look for blight?

Additionally the technical definition for Downtown is very small, what is considered versus what is Downtown are two different things.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Additionally the technical definition for Downtown is very small, what is considered versus what is Downtown are two different things.
How does driving down PHX's main thoroughfare and seeing bums equate to "going out of my way to look for it"? Im not going out of my way to look for it. The problem exists literally on almost every street corner.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
How does driving down PHX's main thoroughfare and seeing bums equate to "going out of my way to look for it"? Im not going out of my way to look for it. The problem exists literally on almost every street corner.
Every corner? Where? The adjacent area south of Downtown? sure, there's blight, but what is your purpose for going down there? There really isn't one unless you want to (1) connect to I17 or (2) are wandering around looking for blight. It's just old houses and abandoned buildings there is no purpose to the area for passing through without actively seeking to do so.

Is Phoenix the only town with homeless people? Is Phoenix the only place where they gather under bridges for shelter?

I live in Central Phoenix and I'm shocked at how negatively you portray this area, some of it is downright dishonest.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Every corner? Where? The adjacent area south of Downtown? sure, there's blight, but what is your purpose for going down there? There really isn't one unless you want to (1) connect to I17 or (2) are wandering around looking for blight. It's just old houses and abandoned buildings there is no purpose to the area for passing through without actively seeking to do so.

I live in Central Phoenix and I'm shocked at how negatively you portray this area, some of it is downright dishonest.
One of my clients is right there, that's why Im always in that area. Im downtown at least 3-4 times a week, and since their business is right off Central, its only fitting that I... gasp... take Central!

Its not dishonest in any way. I say what I see. Go drive under that bridge today on the northbound side. Stay in the right lane and look at all the bums that live under there. Then watch the SE corner of Central and Jefferson. Then watch the NE corner of Central and Monroe. Then the NW corner of Van Buren. You cant miss those bums. One of them literally yells all afternoon. Have you all not seen him? He's a downtown "icon".

Yesterday I was stuck at the light on Central and Glenrosa... got hit up for money up there, too. I get bothered all over the place. I jump onto Glendale or Bethany Home to get on the 51 and I get pestered by bums. I turn down Shea and get bothered at Tatum. I go to the gas station at Shea and Scottsdale, get bothered there. Its a HUGE problem here.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:

The "technical" definition of downtown is 7th St to 3rd Ave from Jackson St to Fillmore St. I personally consider downtown 16th St to 19th Ave from Buchanan St to I-10/Culver St

Old 03-03-2017, 04:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The "technical" definition of downtown is 7th St to 3rd Ave from Jackson St to Fillmore St. I personally consider downtown 16th St to 19th Ave from Buchanan St to I-10/Culver St
That sounds like the old "Copper Square" take on things. There are many such definitions but most of the ones that I have seen go from 7th St to 7th Ave and go farther north to at least Roosevelt. Some reach McDowell but that seems silly. I-10 works for me. The city's Downtown Code for zoning goes up to McDowell and includes the properties on the north side of the street.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
That sounds like the old "Copper Square" take on things. There are many such definitions but most of the ones that I have seen go from 7th St to 7th Ave and go farther north to at least Roosevelt. Some reach McDowell but that seems silly. I-10 works for me. The city's Downtown Code for zoning goes up to McDowell and includes the properties on the north side of the street.
That official boundary I gave is from the City itself.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
Not trying to argue, can you show me the source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area