Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,157,045 times

Advertisements

I took the advise of some members here,got some consentrared RU and mixed it double. It did the job. Took a few days, but killed everything that I sprayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 03:09 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,382,720 times
I'm now wondering if for this property a propane weed torch might be better?

Its not a huge property. Hmmm

Old 04-01-2017, 05:59 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,027,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post

Yeah, I could just see you in your backyard thinking your Fireball from The Running Man:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NP1jvsSKwsw

Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,893,046 times
Quote:
Tempe rock lawn with whatever the usual weeds and grasses that sprout up. First time using a weedkillet out west. $10 a gallon roundup had great reviews. Sprayed everything good in the morning. Totally drenched some in the cracks of the sidewalk.

Six days later and only mild results. Some I drenched show no results. What gives?
Roundup and all the other weed killer products are okay, but they are a waste of money if you have to keep buying it so often. I used Ground Clear, which supposedly removes weeds and other vegetation permanently. It did, but not permanently, weeds managed to come back a year or two later, plus you always run into the risk of killing lawn, trees, plants and everything else within a 20-foot radius of the area if you spray then it rains in the next couple of days, so Ground Clear may not be a good idea in some cases.

I got sick and tired of pulling/spraying weeds in my backyard every spring. The strategy to prevent weeds would make more sense so I got a weed blocker material that I put under the rocks in the backyard. You can get the commercial grade blocker similar to the one in the image for about $100 to cover an area about 750 square feet from the Home Depot.

Here's what the backyard typically looked like in the springs (2011).. A weed jungle in some cases.

Here's what the backyard looks looks like now, new rocks, brick edgers, and weed blocker material under the rocks. Weeds still managed to appear between the 1/2" rocks, but it's not anywhere near what it used to be.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
Quote:

I have this one -

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT...S9ASQM8TGWMMC1

Certain types of weeds are impervious to spray & nearly impossible to pull (too many shoots) - the torch isn't particularly fast, but you're not on your knees either, so it's not too bad.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 856 times
madison,
just found out that you need to have a garden planted there

Old 03-28-2019, 12:11 PM

848 posts, read 970,509 times
I want to revisit this pre-emergent thing. What exactly do you use? I get weeds coming back every few months and I have to spray all over again. I use the RoundUp concentrated stuff that you mix into a gallon of water. Once it rains, they all come back though. Most of the neighbors around me never have weeds. Ever. And they don't have landscapers. I do occasionally see some blueish-green crap sprayed all over the rocks a few times per year. Assuming that's the pre-emergent?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:52 PM

186 posts, read 195,945 times
I have rock a few inches deep all around the house. I treat with Preen three times a year and have less than ten weeds to pull between treatments.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times
Of course, there's always the possibility that we're saturating the environment with so much Round-Up (which to the best of my knowledge is a dangerous carcinogen) that it will be gradually losing its efficacy.

That's another reason why I'm looking for an alternative.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
Quote:
Tempe rock lawn with whatever the usual weeds and grasses that sprout up. First time using a weedkillet out west. $10 a gallon roundup had great reviews. Sprayed everything good in the morning. Totally drenched some in the cracks of the sidewalk.

Six days later and only mild results. Some I drenched show no results. What gives?
If you keep using it... it will probably kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: