Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with people not tipping Uber, but I have always just thrown a couple bucks on the console when getting out. I've only used it three times though, not hundreds. I'm someone that is a bit of an "over-tipper" anyway and err on the side of tipping. I was at Cafe Rio and surprised to not see a tip jar at the end, asked the girl and they said they can't accept tips. It was kinda refreshing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
There's another reason why I prefer Lyft to Uber. Haven't needed to use it lately, thankfully, but it came in very handy when I did.

I tip the guy who brings me a pizza. If I used Uber Eats, no reason why I would not do the same for that driver.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That's generous of you, but I don't think you understand how Uber works. Uber is intended to simplify the experience of taking a cab, including pricing and tipping. There's a reason why there is no way to add a tip to your payment. I've taken hundreds of rides via Uber and have a 4.9, at the last time I was shown. I've tipped if the driver goes above and beyond, and I have cash on me, but I usually don't. It's simply not part of the process.
If you don't have cash on you, use Lyft. It's cashless and you can tip.

It's rather classless to not tip your Uber driver.

I've seen this "part of the process" argument before, and it's a weak one.

They're providing you a service in their personal vehicle (which is cleaner and nicer than a cab) for a fraction of the cost of a cab. You'd tip your cab driver but to not tip an Uber driver due to a "process" argument is really just your way of justifying being a cheapskate.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
That's generous of you, but I don't think you understand how Uber works. Uber is intended to simplify the experience of taking a cab, including pricing and tipping. There's a reason why there is no way to add a tip to your payment. I've taken hundreds of rides via Uber and have a 4.9, at the last time I was shown. I've tipped if the driver goes above and beyond, and I have cash on me, but I usually don't. It's simply not part of the process.
I agree on uber and the tipping aspect, it's all built into the final cost one pays. That's their business model.

Given uber eats is the same company/business model(based on the FAQ I read/posted on the 1st page), it reads to me/I'd logically conclude the "eats" business works on the same "tip built in"model?

Someone mentioned in this thread the uber eats driver might have to wait for the food in a restaurants to be made, takes all that time, etc. and deserves a tip for all this time but I suppose one could argue the same point of the uber driver, ie the driver got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes in traffic to pick me up, got stuck another 10 minutes driving me to my destination, etc. so does that mean the customer is responsible for the uber drivers time and needs to tip them in this case like the uber eats person waiting for the food? If one wants to be consistent, the answer is yes for some perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post

They're providing you a service in their personal vehicle (which is cleaner and nicer than a cab) for a fraction of the cost of a cab. You'd tip your cab driver but to not tip an Uber driver due to a "process" argument is really just your way of justifying being a cheapskate.
zytonyg, you sound like a nice guy to want to tip people as much as you do. But I think the read/perhaps the point is the uber model that doesn't require tipping(as mentioned they don't even put a tip line in) and the faq's on uber eats doesn't even seem to encourage it based on what I've read. Not that one can't hand some cash to one of course for a tip but if we are in that area, everyone/anyone should get a tip perhaps kind of thinking.....someone let's me borrow a pen at an office, they should be tipped.....the walmart greeter who was extra nice and smiled at me should get a tip...the person who did the tile work did a nice job so they should also be tipped beyond the contract price?..I don't know....I tip for good service/tip well but I think there's a point of going a bit overboard in all of this but that's me.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
I would think that not tipping in a situation where tipping is the common practice (unless the service performed did not meet a reasonable standard) is reprehensible. On the other hand it is completely reasonable to not tip in situations where it is not normally done. Hence a question like Uber Eats: do you tip the driver?, one wants to know. You don't tip the cashier at Basha's, for example. With Uber the lack of a tip field in the app suggests that it isn't common practice and their policy supports that.

Having said that, the whole thing makes me uncomfortable. I have only used Uber when travelling and this issue plus the other negative things in the news about Uber made me install Lyft the other day. I will try it on an upcoming trip and "delete Uber" if it works out. The food thing is a little different in that the competing services don't all feature the same restaurants.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:25 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times
Quote:
I understand just fine how Uber works, thanks. I choose to tip, you don't. It has nothing to do with how it works. Uber works just fine if you tip. I base my decisions to tip on the service I receive.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I understand just fine how Uber works, thanks. I choose to tip, you don't. It has nothing to do with how it works. Uber works just fine if you tip. I base my decisions to tip on the service I receive.
If you think people that don't tip in a situation when tipping isn't part of the process are classless, then you don't. Since you claim to base your "decisions to tip on the service you receive", do you tip your dry cleaner when they do a nice job?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
So I used Uber eats and Post Mates.

Uber Eats is a better service IMHO. Yes, Uber does not let you tip on the app like Post Mates. But Post Mates charges significantly more money. For example, I ordered the same item from the same restaurant. I used Post Mates and Uber Eats; both deliver to the same restaurant. After tip and all was included I spent over $20 more using Post Mates. Post Mates charged me a service fee of 9% plus a more expensive delivery charge. Even if you have to tip in cash, you are better off with Uber Eats IMHO

Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post

I disagree about the ride service. These drivers get paid more driving for Uber than they do cab companies even without being tipped. They get to keep more of their money than cab drivers. They also get to choose their hours and have a lot of flexibility unlike cab drivers. I knew someone who drove for a cab service before driving for Uber. He said the cab companies tried to force them to work inhumane hours such as 24 hour and 36 hour shifts and kept more of the money they made. The Uber app also allows them to make more trips versus driving for a taxi service too. There is a reason so many drive for Uber.

Look, if they were not making money with Uber, they wouldn't drive for them. And if you expect tips, don't drive for Uber. Lyft allows people to tip on their app. Lyft assumed all these drivers would leave Uber for them, but they haven't. And it's because that despite not receiving tips, they still make good money driving for Uber. That's the simple truth.

People tip their cabbie out of pressure not because they feel they are receiving a great service. And tipping has gotten out of control. You used tip a cabbie a few bucks out of gratitude. Now, they expect 10-20 % of the fee as if they are a waiter at a restaurant.

Thinking has now become an art. People's minds have gone on autopilot that they just do things out of custom without really giving it much thought as to why they do things.

Case in point, Miss Manners does not advocate tipping restaurants when picking up food. The reason is when you pay for items at a restaurant, you are not just paying for the food. You are paying for the expenses to run the restaurant. When you are picking up food, you are paying the same amount of money but you don't receive any of those services that you do when dining in (waitstaff, furniture, plates/cutlery, air conditioning etc). Yet, now you are expected to tip a few bucks even when you pick up food. And if you don't, you are considered to be cheap. It started out as a sympathetic gesture to the person who handed you the food. What was once an occasional act has now become an expectation. Again, people don't think, they just give money.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-07-2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 03:47 PM

77 posts, read 74,308 times
I've tipped but most of the time I don't. I don't carry cash but that's not the reason as I can plan ahead if I want to tip. Tip your mom/wife who cooks for you for free lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: